Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know XM and Sirius are two totally different technologies (XM uses Geo-stationary satellites, Sirius use Pole-to-Pole Figure 8 orbits with 3 birds which gives better "look" angles), but my overall impression of the XM system in my CT200h is not good.

I've noticed that on roads with a medium amount of tree overhang, it totally looses lock compared to my previous car and my wife's car which has Sirius, and I've even experienced it loosing lock and going to static noise on an Interstate with no obstructions at all... Is it my radio or is it an XM problem? Are others seeing XM issues related to keeping signal lock (i've seen the volume level discussions).

Where's the XM Antenna? Is it in the boot of the FM radio mast?

Cheers

Jimbo

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Same issue with my wife's car with trees and signal loss but I also have satellite radio reception problems in my BMW Z4.

Lots of trees in Connecticut.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have had XM in 3 different cars including my CT. I have had no problems with reception or volume levels.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
I have had XM in 3 different cars including my CT. I have had no problems with reception or volume levels.
Not many forests in Texas :>)

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
That and he's likely closer to the satellites! Isn't it the same like Direct TV...they're towards Texas? That's what we're told here in the northeast....aim the dish to the soutwest towards Texas.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
I know XM and Sirius are two totally different technologies (XM uses Geo-stationary satellites, Sirius use Pole-to-Pole Figure 8 orbits with 3 birds which gives better "look" angles), but my overall impression of the XM system in my CT200h is not good.

I've noticed that on roads with a medium amount of tree overhang, it totally looses lock compared to my previous car and my wife's car which has Sirius, and I've even experienced it loosing lock and going to static noise on an Interstate with no obstructions at all... Is it my radio or is it an XM problem? Are others seeing XM issues related to keeping signal lock (i've seen the volume level discussions).

Cheers

Jimbo
Agree 100%, it sucks. See my comments in post #35 in this thread: http://www.ct200hforum.com/forum/lexus-ct200h-general-discussion-forum/118026-anyone-else-having-satellite-radio-quality-issues-4.html

·
Registered
49 Posts
Trees and other vegetation are one of the biggest absorbers of RF. Since you say youre also getting static on the highway, maybe the radio's buffer on the CT isin't as great as others? Im not sure how this could be tested or if its right, but maybe you were losing lock in your other cars just as often, but never noticed the dead air through your radio because the buffers were better.

As far him being in the Northeast, I dont see that being a problem at all. Other than the nice greenery you guys have up there. The XM satellite footprint is huge it goes all the way out to the Atlantic and in to Canada.

As far as the guy in Texas getting a better signal because hes in Texas is somewhat true....kinda. He really is closer to the satellites since most of them sit on the equator, but in satellite transmission the entire US is fairly small piece of real estate to cover. So the real reason for him getting a better signal may just be that he has less Tress and vegetation around him.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Trees and other vegetation are one of the biggest absorbers of RF. Since you say youre also getting static on the highway, maybe the radio's buffer on the CT isin't as great as others? Im not sure how this could be tested or if its right, but maybe you were losing lock in your other cars just as often, but never noticed the dead air through your radio because the buffers were better.

As far him being in the Northeast, I dont see that being a problem at all. Other than the nice greenery you guys have up there. The XM satellite footprint is huge it goes all the way out to the Atlantic and in to Canada.

As far as the guy in Texas getting a better signal because hes in Texas is somewhat true....kinda. He really is closer to the satellites since most of them sit on the equator, but in satellite transmission the entire US is fairly small piece of real estate to cover. So the real reason for him getting a better signal may just be that he has less Tress and vegetation around him.
The point about trees in New England is here in the suburbs the canopy cover is very dense.

Drive down a street in winter and spring with no leaves satellite reception is fine.

Drive down the same street in summer with full foliage the signal disappears - I've pretty much switched to Pandora on my iPhone much better overall reception.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I see you have never been to East Texas. I couldn't resist that. Actually I live in central Texas. While we don't have forests here we do have a lot of trees. East Texas is a forest.

·
Registered
200 Posts

Cheers

Jimbo

Now that XM and Sirius have merged I am not sure how they merged the technologies. Living in Maryland where there are a lot of trees I have not had many problems with the reception. Here and there I may lose it for a few seconds. On the whole it sure beats the crap that is on the over air radio stations these days. After the 90 day trail I signed up for a year package that lets you add it to an iPhone or iPad.

As to where the XM antenna is I assume it is in with the other antenna on the roof.

Starfire Pearl, Navigation, Premium sound, Nulux black interior.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm still not happy with my XM. I NEVER had a problem with Sirius. I'm VERY disappointed in the factor XM. So much so that I'm just waiting for and aftermarket harness to become available so that I can change out the stereo. Its sad that such a great car has this blemish. Some people notice this less than I do, but I find it so annoying that I will likely not sign up for XM, and this is coming from a Sirius addict. I'm especially annoyed since the response I get from Lexus is "thats just how it is". Its very disappointing. Maybe it is a XM vs. Sirius thing. If thats the case, Lexus better start putting Sirius in their cars.

And yes, the antenna is the same, but it doesn't have to do with that.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
I'm still not happy with my XM. I NEVER had a problem with Sirius. I'm VERY disappointed in the factor XM. So much so that I'm just waiting for and aftermarket harness to become available so that I can change out the stereo. Its sad that such a great car has this blemish. Some people notice this less than I do, but I find it so annoying that I will likely not sign up for XM, and this is coming from a Sirius addict. I'm especially annoyed since the response I get from Lexus is "thats just how it is". Its very disappointing. Maybe it is a XM vs. Sirius thing. If thats the case, Lexus better start putting Sirius in their cars.

And yes, the antenna is the same, but it doesn't have to do with that.
I'm in the same boat as you. I've had Sirius for the past 5 years and will not be changing to XM for this reason.

I can confirm that it is NOT a Sirius vs. XM thing. We received 3 free months in my wife's '11 Honda Pilot and it was crystal clear!

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
The point about trees in New England is here in the suburbs the canopy cover is very dense.

Drive down a street in winter and spring with no leaves satellite reception is fine.

Drive down the same street in summer with full foliage the signal disappears - I've pretty much switched to Pandora on my iPhone much better overall reception.
Never had an issue with my Sirius OEM installed radio in my Infiniti with full foliage down a tree filled street...only in the CT w/ the XM is this an issue for me. Even with only a couple of trees on a sunny day, the XM still cuts out.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well Guys, Thanks... I feel vindicated that it's not just me. I think, like others, I'll wait for aftermarket harnesses to become available and might do a head swap, and swap back to Sirius in the process...

·
Registered
1 Posts
XM radio in an ES350: The Lexus kit is manufactured by Pioneer and consists of an XM receiver, antenna and interface cable harness to connect to the factory-installed wiring. The vehicle is pre-wired to accept the receiver.2007 Lexus ES350, AM, FM, sound quality is great when we switch to XM the volume immediately goes down and the quality of tone is flat.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Was at Dealers yesterday for my 5K service and had them check out the radio... "Normal Operation for a digital radio, radio working as designed" was the reply. I told them the wife's Prius isn't nearly this bad, nor was my Highlander . THe answer was they must not hev been digital.

I figured no less, but Lexus has a probem when your AM and FM channels are clearer and volume is twice that of the SAT radio. :mad:

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have XM in three cars (Acura/Miata/CT) with no problems whatsoever. We in Minnesota have lots of trees and tall buildings -- still no problem. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've only had the car a few weeks, and have no problems with the XM. We had a rental car a few years ago with Serius SAT radio, and every time you changed directions (almost), you would lose the signal. They have either improved the system, or we just had a bad rental car. So far its all been just fine with the CT.

I am thinking of going to a Sharkfin antenna. I have one on my Prius, and have been very happy with it (without SAT radio), and wonder if it will affect the XM, or is that on a different antenna?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've only had the car a few weeks, and have no problems with the XM. We had a rental car a few years ago with Serius SAT radio, and every time you changed directions (almost), you would lose the signal. They have either improved the system, or we just had a bad rental car. So far its all been just fine with the CT.

I am thinking of going to a Sharkfin antenna. I have one on my Prius, and have been very happy with it (without SAT radio), and wonder if it will affect the XM, or is that on a different antenna?
It hasn't affected mine.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My XM cuts out in the exact same places that it used to cut out in my old car. However, it seems to cut out a little quicker when going under overpasses. Maybe the buffer in the factory unit isn't as long as it was in the aftermarket unit in my old car.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts