Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm driving yesterday and my XM Radio stops working. I can't get a signal on any channel, not even the preview channel (channel 1). All other radio functions work properly. I tried the XM radio signal refresh thing but that didn't do anything, so I'm guessing my antenna is either broken or came unplugged somewhere. But where? I've had the radio out before so I know the plugs on the back are keyed into the radio with a push button, I can't imagine how that could come loose seeing how it was pretty difficult to get them out even when I wanted to. Is there another junction somewhere in the car or up at the antenna itself that could have come loose?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok well I have done quite a bit of research on this now using the Lexus Service Manual and also looking at pictures of the back of the radio and also the antenna assembly. All of the connectors are locking type with a clip, so I would find it highly unlikely that something just came loose. Also to even check most of the connections requires pulling apart all kinds of body panels on the dash, headliner, and hatch. Since everything else on the radio still works fine I decided to just cancel my XM subscription and use one of the other options for audio (primarily the USB).

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep I would assume they are going to tear everything apart and then find that the antenna is broke or came loose somehow and then replace it. If you aren't under warranty then that sounds like a lot of money.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same issue with Sirius/XM not working on my car when I bought my pre-owned 2012. I had no signal but every so often, I'd get a second of it. I suspected the antenna since all other radio functions worked as expected. I ordered a new color coded antenna online for slightly less than $250 and installed it in less than 15 minutes. Now it works perfectly.
I check with the dealer and they wanted almost $700 parts and labor to troubleshoot and install. They said that they had to start at the head unit first and work toward the antenna which is ridiculous since I told them that the radio functioned fine and that it was probably the antenna. Why the antenna would go bad after only being 3 years old, I have no idea.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, glad that you were able to fix yours. For me it's not worth $250 (let alone $700). I ended up cancelling my subscription and have been listening to music off my 32GB USB stick.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can you share a link to the antenna assembly?

I have not been able to find it. I have a big repair book (I believe it was like $40). It has been a while since I looked there on this issue. I don't remember finding anything in there about an antenna assembly. I will look again.

I am starting to think that the problem with the car is tied into the sunroof. I say this because having a sunroof easily allows water to get in the car whenever you ever forget to close it. There is a lot of info out there that this car has issues with moisture and corrosion for this reason. Just a little water (let alone a lot), will cause electrical problems when it slowly evaporates.

This is my own experience recently.

My side mirrors are not working anymore and I keep reading I need to clean the contacts because of moisture corrosion. They stopped working not too long after getting water in my car during the summer. Although that part never got wet, there was water in my car which (from what I have been reading) has caused corrosion. I still have not fixed it, but my guess cleaning the contacts will fix it (just as others have claimed).

In this case, I actually had a lot of water. However, the satellite has been having problems before this. However, now that I think more about it, it got a lot worse since then. My guess is anyone with a CT200H with a sunroof, over the years, will have this same kind of problem. It is possible that Lexus is figuring it out and fixing it, but they have yet to admit anything and probably never will.

I am starting to think that the wire is not loose, as others have mentioned, on my car antenna for my SiriusXM. Instead, it is just dirty (ie corroded). My guess is that I just need to get to the connectors (on each end) and clean them. I may have to do the antenna along with the hooks up to the stereo.

Anyway, I have spent many hours researching this, and I was starting to suspect this is what the issue is. There are others having this problem, but I have yet to see a real solution. The only solution I have gotten yet from anyone is to take it to the dealer and/or replace stuff. Again, in the case of the side mirrors, many people say don't take it to the dealer (it is a waste of money, and very expensive). Instead, just clean the contacts. For my mirrors, I have heard, it takes 20-30 minutes. However, the stereo may take 1-2 hours (guessing). Most people say cleaning the contacts will fix the mirror controls. It would make sense that the same problem is affecting the satellite radio. What I am hearing here reinforces this theory.

Now I just need to find the time to do it. I have been really busy and working a lot of hours for the next few months. This also would be easier when it warms up. I just found out the solution for the mirrors about a month ago. Hopefully, I will get it working soon.

Anyway, can someone share with me the antenna assembly? I would like to know where the connections are before I start disabling everything.

Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts