Lexus CT200h Forums banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

· Registered
394 Posts
your point is well-taken that you do get a nice "integrated" feel with the nav. the question is one of value and i am not saying that it is NOT worth the MSRP $2445 vs. a $90 garmin. i do not have Nav but i still have Bluetooth, AM/FM, AUX, fuel displays, etc etc. it is not as "pretty" as the integrated Nav. but my value system doesn't value "pretty" at ~$2400. However, if you are going to get a $2k discount ANYWAYS then you are practically getting it for free and i say go for it. unfortunately, that $2k discount was not offered to me (nor the majority of buyers on this forum). But don't think that the value-added for a nice "integrated" system is worth $2k to everyone. :)
Another point about Navigation is that one has to buy Premium first. That adds $1780.. Plus I believe at least where I live one needs to get the Premium sound system with the Nav at $3545 together. So we are at $5325 + Tax = ~$5700. Money can double every 8 years if invested well. If a CT buyer was age 25 and didn't spend that $5700, but invested it instead, at age 65 they could have an $182,400 extra for retirement. This shows the power of compounding.

Ok.. so this number is dramatic... maybe your investments wouldn't do so well as I'm assuming. Mainly I'm making a point, especially for younger people... Spend your money wisely, save as much as you can, forgo a few luxuries that you can't really afford when young...

In this case, buying a smart phone with FREE voice turn by turn Navigation MIGHT be wiser choice for the younger tech savvy person who should be saving for retirement. Older people with plenty of cash can afford these integrated luxuries...

· Registered
200 Posts
I ordered my CT about a week ago. It is supposed to take 2 weeks. The dealership has called me twice and is offering me the same model but with Nav at a significantly reduced price (about 2k off msrp). I ordered mine without Nav because I don’t care for how it looks on the dash...functionally I am sure it is great.

Just curious...if you got it do you like it? If you didn’t get it...do you wish you had? I’d like to hear your opinions.

Thanks
Take it with the Navigation system. I have my CT200h with the navigation system and love it. It adds a great deal of functionality. The back up camera screen gets projected onto it. There is a host of features for your bluetooth phone for contacts and speed dials. Radio stations are stored on lists too so you can change stations by using the joystick. If you have a CD encoded with information the track names are displayed. Lots of other things too. If you don't want to look at the screen click the close button and it flips down folding flat on the dash. Then the navigation features are pretty good. Single or double screen. Voice prompts for turns and exits. Storage of prior destinations for easy access. Nice color screen. It may not have all the items a high end Garmin or TomTom has nut it is much cooler than a suction cup and a wire hanging down from your windshield.

I think it is much more valuable for resale value also in the future

At 2K off the list price I would take it in heartbeat.

· Registered
200 Posts
Another point about Navigation is that one has to buy Premium first. That adds $1780.. Plus I believe at least where I live one needs to get the Premium sound system with the Nav at $3545 together. So we are at $5325 + Tax = ~$5700. Money can double every 8 years if invested well. If a CT buyer was age 25 and didn't spend that $5700, but invested it instead, at age 65 they could have an $182,400 extra for retirement. This shows the power of compounding.

Ok.. so this number is dramatic... maybe your investments wouldn't do so well as I'm assuming. Mainly I'm making a point, especially for younger people... Spend your money wisely, save as much as you can, forgo a few luxuries that you can't really afford when young...

In this case, buying a smart phone with FREE voice turn by turn Navigation MIGHT be wiser choice for the younger tech savvy person who should be saving for retirement. Older people with plenty of cash can afford these integrated luxuries...
If buying the CT200h was all about saving money for retirement, don't buy the car! At $35,000 average cost for the CT200 you can save 20K and get a 15,000 vehicle. If it is too much of a stretch to buy the CT200 look for cheaper alternatives. You could get a Honda Civic for $20K that is pretty nicely equipped. Buying an expensive car at a base model because that is all you can afford is similar to buying a house that you can't afford to put furniture in. If I was 22 again I wouldn't be looking at Lexus in the first place.

· Premium Member
874 Posts

Let me know where I can get an annual return of 9% per annum and I'm in.
You could also buy a Focus and save even more, after all who really needs a Lexus. Then again maybe I am already retired and saved up and invested well and wanted a Lexus with navigation :D then I can use a regular phone you can actually make audible calls on!

· Premium Member
958 Posts
Use a landline. LOL.

Or even better. A rotary landline. LOL.

I think I've read about them before. Or saw one in a museum once.

· Registered
394 Posts
Buying an expensive car at a base model because that is all you can afford is similar to buying a house that you can't afford to put furniture in. If I was 22 again I wouldn't be looking at Lexus in the first place.
Are you saying EVERYONE should buy luxury cars with all the options? An auto manufactures dream... The OP wanted opinions... I'll stick with my opinion that $5700 to get Nav is a good idea IF you have the cash and can afford it, and don't have other things you would rather spend that money on. Simple enough...

Take it with the Navigation system.

I think it is much more valuable for resale value also in the future
MUCH??? It better be more valuable considering what you are paying for the options, but the % drop on the Options Cost will be more dramatic then that of the Base Cost...

Let me know where I can get an annual return of 9% per annum and I'm in.
You could also buy a Focus and save even more, after all who really needs a Lexus. Then again maybe I am already retired and saved up and invested well and wanted a Lexus with navigation :D then I can use a regular phone you can actually make audible calls on!
If I had to pick one place to try and get 9% right now it would be MCD stock. 19% annual return for the past 10 years (not including it's dividend which is at 3% now) when the market as a whole didn't do much. Of course the past is NO indicator of the future.. ;)

I'm not sure about your point of audible calls... Does your cell not work well in the CT? Mine pairs well with Bluetooth and the sound quality is really good with the CT's hand free system. Even the Free turn by turn Voice Navigation (Bing) on my 2 year old HTC Touch HD smartphone plays well over the CT's audio system..

· Registered
100 Posts

we all draw the line between want and need in a different place.

someone who just bought a yaris could say everything you just said about you buying a ct!

we all work hard for our money. some save for tomorrow, some spend for today. i can't think anyone is ever wrong :)

· Registered
115 Posts
we all draw the line between want and need in a different place.

someone who just bought a yaris could say everything you just said about you buying a ct!

we all work hard for our money. some save for tomorrow, some spend for today. i can't think anyone is ever wrong :)
it's not a matter of "right" vs. "wrong" - it's not a moral issue. the OP asked whether the Nav was worth it. only the OP knows his/her own financial circumstances as well as perception of value-added for the system.

there are people very happy with their Nav system. there are people very happy without the Nav system. whether the added functionality of the Nav is worth it to them is up to each individual.

· Registered
146 Posts
there are people very happy with their Nav system. there are people very happy without the Nav system. whether the added functionality of the Nav is worth it to them is up to each individual.
The people being very happy without the Nav system are only happy because they haven't lived with the Nav system. They are blissfully unaware of how much better the car could be..

I still can't understand why this is a debate with anybody. If you can afford the car you can afford Nav (I've said it many times, a car without Nav = a non-luxury car). If you can NOT afford Nav but can afford the car you are simply stretching too much with the CT and need to be smarter with your money. The Prius is a good, cheaper option. There are also cars in the $10-15k range if need be.

Enough said.

· Registered
115 Posts
The people being very happy without the Nav system are only happy because they haven't lived with the Nav system. They are blissfully unaware of how much better the car could be..

I still can't understand why this is a debate with anybody. If you can afford the car you can afford Nav (I've said it many times, a car without Nav = a non-luxury car). If you can NOT afford Nav but can afford the car you are simply stretching too much with the CT and need to be smarter with your money. The Prius is a good, cheaper option. There are also cars in the $10-15k range if need be.

Enough said.
Couldn't disagree more. i chose not to get the NAV even though i can afford it - it is merely a waste of money to me. i did get NAV in my fully-optioned-out SUV thinking the grass was greener like you said, but as i quickly found out: the Toyota/Lexus NAV blows (and it is documented all over car forums on the internet that it notoriously stinks compared to Honda/Acura's Nav). the added functionality of the integrated system may be nice, but, IMO, clearly not worth the added cost.

But as i qualified with all my opinions, that's just me. hopefully it has been the life-changing savior fulfilling your childhood dreams for a measly $2-3k for which i am very happy for you ;)

· Registered
394 Posts
If you can NOT afford Nav but can afford the car you are simply stretching too much with the CT and need to be smarter with your money.
Ridiculous... Paid Cash... Have Turn by Turn Voice Navigation/GPS on my phone Bing/Google which is always updated, not needed that often, more functional in some ways, and portable. Never opened the moon/sun roof in my RX. These seats are like toasters, I definitely do not want or need seat heaters. There are very good reasons NOT to get some options. Smarter with your money???? hmmm ;)

· Registered
245 Posts
Are you going to use the nav function? Personally I am guaranteed to get lost without it. (pitiful, I know). My husband opted out on his ES, said he didn't need it to get around. After driving in my RX with nav, he's changed his mind. And yes, the nav in a Lexus does it's job. Once you get used to it, you won't have any problems.

Now he's got a garmin hooked up, wires going to plugs, sticky tac holding it up covering the tach. Not the Lexus experience I want. His next car will have the nav.

You can do without it, but if you think you will go the garmin route then step up and get the nav. It's got so many other features attached. The back up camera is invaluable.

If you think you won't ever use it, opt out. Road trips and fold up maps are a thing of the past for me.

· Registered
38 Posts
I bought an early CT, first week of March. The Black/Caramel that was in stock did not have nav, and i purchased. The two things, after 5 months, that i wish i had were perforated seats (important on long drives) and nav. I think the nav option is really mis-titled. Its an information pod, with navigation being but one element.

I think next year I'll noodle on trading in on one with nave....

· Registered
29 Posts
I think it all comes down to personal preference. For me, I did not want to go with the premium option because I hardly ever used the moon roof in my old ES and don't really need heated seats in SoCal. Therefore if I wanted to get navigation it would cost me at least 4K extra (over 13% above paid price). Additionally I've always gotten by with my iPhone just fine.

However for someone that lives in cold winter climates, doesn't mind the extra money or prefers the convenience of navigation then it might be totally worth it.

· Registered
100 Posts
I bought an early CT, first week of March. The Black/Caramel that was in stock did not have nav, and i purchased. The two things, after 5 months, that i wish i had were perforated seats (important on long drives) and nav. I think the nav option is really mis-titled. Its an information pod, with navigation being but one element.

I think next year I'll noodle on trading in on one with nave....
that's a good point; it controls climate, stereo, radio, enform, phone, backup camera... and nav.

I still don't think there is a right or wrong answer, we all have different opinions and needs. some of us are find with using a phone, some of us want to use a robust integrated solution... it all works if we're all happy.

· Registered
180 Posts
I think the nav option is really mis-titled. Its an information pod, with navigation being but one element.
I agree! When I went in, I had NO interest in the NAV and told the saleman as much! I'm 50, I was a Boy Scout and I can read a map! (Thank you very much!!) So, I thought "I don't need this!" and he didn't try to sell me on it any further. As the salesman and I were looking at different colors and interiors, we ended up in a NAV equipped car. He turned it on to show me something else (I don't remember what exactly!), but I noticed that it had icons for all sorts of different systems in the car. I looked at him and said "Why didn't you tell me about all this?! I really think you should point out all this stuff when you talk about the navigation system! I want NAV now please!" Some of you might think that he is just a very savvy salesman, and perhaps he is, but I don't believe that he "tricked" me into wanting it! I personally don't see how you'd want to live without it and all it can do! :)

· Registered
10 Posts
I wound up getting one without navigation. I originally wanted the navigation because I had it on my Prius, but I find myself not really missing it so far...I have just been using navigation on my phone. I never really wanted the navigation on my Prius anyway because I travel a lot for work and had my TomTom, but that was the only way to get the sunroof.

I do think I am missing my backup camera though...:(

· Registered
394 Posts
I wound up getting one without navigation. I originally wanted the navigation because I had it on my Prius, but I find myself not really missing it so far...I have just been using navigation on my phone. I never really wanted the navigation on my Prius anyway because I travel a lot for work and had my TomTom, but that was the only way to get the sunroof.

I do think I am missing my backup camera though...:(
Leather seats and Backup Camera are the two Options I would have liked. Eventually I plan on getting one of the Gentex Mirrors with the backup screen built in and install the camera.

I will tell you though that using your Smartphone with Google Maps or Bing is a VERY good option. You will always have the latest update to the mapping software and at least with Android 2.3.3 on HTC Sense, one can have the turn by turn navigation voice playing over the CT's audio system. I will likely start a new thread for us Non-Navers to go over this a bit.

· Registered
63 Posts
Salesman calls me up yesterday and says " hey, we had someone cancel their order so we have a loaded CT200 available". I went in and took a look and bought it on the spot. It has NAV and all the other gizmos. Like it a lot. Do I "need" it? No, but it is pretty well integrated stuff.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.