Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
....I ordered mine without Nav because I don’t care for how it looks on the dash...functionally I am sure it is great.
My experience was similar - I didn't care for how it looked like it was going to look, if that makes sense. I hadn't seen one with a navigation screen in person, but I know that I didn't like the idea of having it on top of the dash.

In practice, I LOVE it. It's easier to cast a quick glance at the level of the road, rather than looking down. I like how it's recessed, too. It looks much more elegant than I'd have guessed from seeing it in pictures.

But the functionality is the killer. It works even better than you'd think it would.

I can see somebody not wanting to pay extra for this package though. Everybody knows what a feature is worth to them, and if it doesn't seem worth it to somebody, well, it's not.

But in your position, getting a very rare discount on ANY model of CT, take it as a sign that this is meant to be. You'll enjoy it.

· Registered
49 Posts
...You can customize a lot of the navigation settings....
Agreed, many of the defaults are not where I'd put them....but I've really come to appreciate the "it's coming...and it's HERE" double bong in particular. I find I don't want to live without it.

If you use eDestinations and ENFORM you can type all addresses on your PC and download over the Internet to you Nav system under POI.
I love this!

I also use the Destination Assist all the time. Is that the right name? The thing where somebody in a control center helps you. I've used it to load up something specific that I'm driving toward (Can you put in the Ace Hardware on 111 for me?) make recommendations (they have the Zagat restaurant guide at their fingertips), and the other day, it was driving my wife crazy that she couldn't remember how to delete a destination -- so she called them up and they did it for her!

We've obviously got a free year of this, but if I keep using it as much as I am now, I'll definitely be renewing. This is one thing that really sets a Lexus nav system apart.

Also the Lexus Nav adds bluetooth for your phone and other bluetooth devices.
Love that too. The voice control for my phone also works better through the car than it does through my phone. It's the first truly hands free mobile phoning I've ever done.

As others have, I also have to share my love for the mouse.

Again, I get that these features may not be worth this much to YOU...but it's a slam dunk for me. I'll definitely get a nav package every time from here on.

· Registered
49 Posts
...a large majority of touch smart phones and blackberrys have very poor microphone pick-up and speaker clarity. It is very easy to overdrive the volume and clip the conversation. in otherwords they are so smart, so advanced and have so many non-phone conversation features, that they cannot handle a simple phone call.
This is especially true for my iPhone 4. My email sig is "Sent from my iPhone. Might as well. Not like I can make calls with it." :D

Seriously, I can't imagine using my phone as either a phone or a GPS when compared with the nav system integration. Here are some of my favorite features.

• You can hear the phone.

• When my iPhone is connected via USB, the nav system understands music files, podcasts, and - especially nice - any playlists I created in iTunes. The USB connection also charges the phone.

• I can set my navigation routes on my computer, and the nav system downloads them. This gets around the tendency of all nav systems to create wacky routes that I have to manage while I'm driving.

• Another thing that I like is that the Lexus nav system is far less prone to such wacky routes than the TomTom or Garmin GPS units I've owned.

• Best voice direction I've ever used. I really like the "bong" for the instruction and "double bong" to say DO IT NOW. Invaluable for the way I drive.

• I'm certainly enjoying my free year of Destination Assist. In fact, I haven't yet tried to use the nav system interface for entering an address manually. I just call up Destination Assist and let them do it for me. Ditto for "searching nearby." They really do it all.

• That said, I just entered my first address using Voice Command. Got a huge kick out of that, and found it to work really well. Even if I drop the Destination Assist service when I have to pay for it (and I can't imagine that I will, frankly), entering travel commands by voice is awesome.
But I have to add that the rendering on this thing is hideous. Really ugly. If this was 1988, I'd say it was downright futuristic, but here and now, I'm sticking with ugly. Not that that gets in the way of it being useful, easy to use, and downright fun. The drawing of the maps is just ugly.

Your mileage will vary, but for us, it was an easy choice. If we ever buy another car :eek: we'll get this again.

PS. One reason I don't own stocks anymore is that I got tired of TALKING about owning stocks. :p

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.