Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, just wanted to say you guys are great. Been lurking this forum for just under a year now since I got my CT (2011 non-nav), but never had a chance to work on my car until recently. Doesn't seem like anyone's added a wireless Qi charger to their vehicle yet, so I figured I'd be the one to share!

I'm sure many of you non-nav guys like myself always put your phone in the device holder, right where the Remote Touch goes for the nav models. With this little mod you'll be able to automatically and wirelessly charge your phone whenever it's placed in the holder. Very easy install, and the whole process took less than an hour.

I recently picked up a Qi receiver and charging pad for my iPhone. They run for about $15 and $20, respectively, on Amazon. The receiver is just a flat little pouch that connects to my lightning port that has a receiver sandwiched in there. It hides neatly under probably any case. Even better for Android phones: the receiver would be completely hidden underneath your battery cover.

Technology Electronic device Gadget Finger Electronics

The charging pad is a magnetic inductive charger that plugs into USB and has a transmission depth spec of about 10mm. Not bad right? Naturally, I decided to break that thing open and mount it under the device holder in my center console.

Gadget Electronic device Technology Electronics Mobile phone

I removed the center console according the photos in this thread, and found out the device holder was fairly simple to remove.

Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Plastic

I removed the casing for the charger, revealing a small board and inductive charging coils mounted on a flat round magnet.

Electronics Technology Electronic device Ipod Electronic component
Electronics Circuit component Technology Circuit prototyping Computer hardware

Turns out, this assembly fits perfectly under the device holder. Positioned it right where I would usually place my phone, and plugged it into the charging block to make sure it works.

Bumper Vehicle Hovercraft Automotive exterior Luxury vehicle

Once I got it in the right place, I just electrical taped it all around. The charger isn't very heavy so no need for anything too tough to hold it up.

Bumper Recreation Vehicle Games

I picked up female cig lighter socket at Fry's for $2, and attached an old 12V to USB adapter I had. Make sure the adapter outputs at least 1.5A, as some of the cheaper ones only put out 1A. I tried out some crappier adapters I had, and it turns out the charger needs at least 1.5A to work. If you wanna be extra safe, you can attach a 5A fuse to your rig. But it shouldn't be necessary since my adapter will only output 3.1A tops.

Finger Hand Thumb Nail
Electronic device Technology Gadget Wire Cable

After that, simply splice into your 12V (which is conveniently right next to the device holder), and bam! Wireless charging. Make sure you use a meter to check which wires or positive and negative! I have the 2011 and I wrongly assumed the green for ground and whitestriped for hot; actually blew out one of my adapters.

Gadget Feature phone Electronic device Technology Portable communications device

I had to remove the rubber mat to ensure the wireless transmission reached my phone. Granted, I have an leather case on my phone so it's pretty thick. I imagine if you have a very thin case the charger would have no problem transmitting with the rubber mat on.

It's pretty ridiculous how simple this was to install. If I didn't know any better, I would have thought this little modular holder was made for an application like this.

Nevertheless, let me know your thoughts! Shoot me any questions if necessary.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haha thanks man. the spec says there's a 10mm clearance for a connection. one thing you might be able to do is create a mold for the charger to sit on top of the holder. definitely not ideal though =\

·
Registered
391 Posts
I recently did something like this using the new Nexus wireless charger mounted to the OEM Electronics Device holder. (removed the sliding bracket) I charge my Nexus 5 android phone while it is setting upright in the EDH. The NEXUS 5 has wireless charging built in to it and held in place by a magnet. Love it. Will try to post some photos or do a video soon.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I really want to do this but,

Can someone post a guide on how-to splice the wires and even which wires to use.

I also live in Las Vegas and the internal temperature of the car can reach 150 degrees? Can this or other chargers handle that?

And since it's magnetic induction, if I were to place my credit card or wallet in this spot (which I sometimes do). Will my credit cards magnetic strips be messed up.

Thanks. Great write-up and idea btw

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm curious about this too.

I really want to do this but,

Can someone post a guide on how-to splice the wires and even which wires to use.

I also live in Las Vegas and the internal temperature of the car can reach 150 degrees? Can this or other chargers handle that?

And since it's magnetic induction, if I were to place my credit card or wallet in this spot (which I sometimes do). Will my credit cards magnetic strips be messed up.

Thanks. Great write-up and idea btw

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Banned
325 Posts
Nice work done with it, its really a very amazing thing and i would like to do it in my car because its a very simple charger and self made thing i can install in my car, its really very interesting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts