Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am awaiting the arrival of my CT200h as I had to go on the order list. While I wait I was wanting to inquire about winter tires.

I assume that 16" will fit. Would anyone be able to clarify this?

Also would any/most Lexus 16" rim fit on the CT?

Are there going to be problems with the tire pressure monitor in the rim?

Thanks in advance for any guidance

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Some countries have 16" rims as an option. The CT bolt circle is 5 x 100. I don't know what other models have. The CT only accepts 1 set of codes (4 sensors) so if you get rims and don't install TPMS's or use a different set than the original you will get the TPMS warning light.

I am going to remove the TPMS's and place them in a pressurized tube stored in the trunk. This way I can run any set of rims without getting the warning since the system will be fooled into thinking the TPMS's are functional.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Audi4t !!!!!

Is that an easy process to pressurize them into a tube? Where would you have that done?

This might be a good idea as I want to buy rims to go with the winter tires so that I can easily change them myself.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Thanks Audi4t !!!!!

Is that an easy process to pressurize them into a tube? Where would you have that done?

This might be a good idea as I want to buy rims to go with the winter tires so that I can easily change them myself.

Thanks in advance.

These are the components I am using to create a pressure chamber.

Simple 3" plastic plumbing pipe fittings with a schrader valve that will be mounted in the screw in top. I will place the 4 TPM sensors in the chamber, that are already programmed to the system, and use an air compressor to pressurize the sealed tube using the valve.

When the TPMS are in the pressurized tube, permanently placed in the trunk, the system will be fooled into thinking that everything is fine regardless of which rims are on the car

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is there a switch we can turn off the warning light on the dash. Or can we disable the TPMS when we have winter rim/tire on? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Is there a switch we can turn off the warning light on the dash. Or can we disable the TPMS when we have winter rim/tire on? Thanks.

NO - :(:(:(:(

·
Registered
131 Posts
The stock 16" is 6" wide and equiped with 205/55R16 tires.
The boltcircle is 100x5 as already stated, and the inset are 45mm.

Audi4t: We don't have the TPMS in Sweden, so there must be a way to disable the system. At least we don't have it according to the dealer, is there some easy way to double check this?

·
Registered
267 Posts
When the TPMS are in the pressurized tube, permanently placed in the trunk, the system will be fooled into thinking that everything is fine regardless of which rims are on the car
I did not know TPM sensors worked that way. I always thought it went by some sort of 'felt' pressure through the valve stem...like how a tire pressure gauge works.
That's a pretty clever idea, by the way.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
The stock 16" is 6" wide and equiped with 205/55R16 tires.
The boltcircle is 100x5 as already stated, and the inset are 45mm.

Audi4t: We don't have the TPMS in Sweden, so there must be a way to disable the system. At least we don't have it according to the dealer, is there some easy way to double check this?
Some Lexus models have the capability of selecting one of two sets of TPMS codes, the CT doesn't.

This is a US mandated feature we have it you don't:

DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

SUMMARY:� This final rule establishes a new Federal motor
vehicle safety standard (FMVSS) requiring installation of
a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) capable of detecting
when one or more of a vehicle�s tires is significantly
under-inflated. This final rule responds to a mandate
in the Transportation Recall Enhancement, Accountability,
and Documentation (TREAD) Act. This final rule requires
installation in all new light vehicles of a TPMS capable
of detecting when one or more of the vehicle�s tires,
up to all four tires, is 25 percent or more below the
manufacturer�s recommended inflation pressure
(placard pressure) or a minimum activation pressure
specified in the standard, whichever is higher.

Compliance Date:� Consistent with the phase-in commencing
October 5, 2005, all new light vehicles must be equipped
with a TPMS that meets the requirements of the standard
by September 1, 2007,

·
Registered
11 Posts
audi4t:

I'm in Ontario, Canada, I don't think TMPS is manditory here.
If we can't disable this feature then your idea of pressure chamber is a great solution. Is it easy to take out the sensors from the tires? Does it need to remove the tire from the rim to take it out? Thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The TPMS is a big expense for an extra set of tires. Does anyone know if it's possible to install the factory TPMS sensors on a set of winter tires? Or is the a way to reprogram the CT for switching between the two sensors without bringing it back to the dealer each time?

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
The TPMS is a big expense for an extra set of tires. Does anyone know if it's possible to install the factory TPMS sensors on a set of winter tires? Or is the a way to reprogram the CT for switching between the two sensors without bringing it back to the dealer each time?
You can swap the original TPMS between rims (need a new mounting kit) or mount snow tires on the original rims without reprogramming.

At the end of the day it's whatever works for you.

I want to be able to swap summer tires / rims and winter tires / rims without
having to go to the dealer and not having the warning light appear.

If you have more than one set of TPMS the dealer will have to reprogram at some time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Tire Rack TPMS option costs $300 and they come fully installed with the mounted and balanced tires. I'm sure you could buy the TPMS sensors on eBay or auto parts store for much cheaper and simply have them installed.

I had TPMS sensors removed from a set of Jeep Wrangler wheels I sold and my local shop charged me $10 per wheel to have the tires popped off and TPMS sensors removed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Audi4t: Would taking the TPMS out of the wheels and putting them in the trunk have any issues with warranty? Can you buy all of the materials at like home depot?

Thanks for all of your responses.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Buy the schrader valve on eBay. All the plastic at Home Depot. There are no warranty issues. Tires will get punctured regardless. The manufacturer is not going to replace them either way.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
I am going to remove the TPMS's and place them in a pressurized tube stored in the trunk. This way I can run any set of rims without getting the warning since the system will be fooled into thinking the TPMS's are functional.
Interesting idea, not really sure why you're going thru all of that, just so your TPMS light doesn't come on on the dash? Or are there other features that will show up if low pressure is detected?

My last car I ran my OEM TPMS in my summer rims and did not have an extra set in my winter wheels. So when I drove in the winter, my TPMS light would come on after about 40 minutes of driving. Was weird at first & always caught my attention, but got used to it rather quickly.

Interesting concept audi4t!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jimmy, I am thinking of possibly doing the same. I mean I would always check the pressure in the winter but if the only problem is that the light will be on for a few months then I think that I am okay with that.

It wouldnt cause any other problem would it?

·
Registered
324 Posts
These are the components I am using to create a pressure chamber.

Simple 3" plastic plumbing pipe fittings with a schrader valve that will be mounted in the screw in top. I will place the 4 TPM sensors in the chamber, that are already programmed to the system, and use an air compressor to pressurize the sealed tube using the valve.

Audi4t, Please check real carefully the possible senario of putting air in that cylinder. I don't know what pressure you are taking it to but be careful.
Second, I don't know the extent of these sensors but I would recommend if you decide to do this to use Nitrogen. No chance of moisture getting into these parts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Audi4t, how did your pressure chamber work out? Thinking of doing the same thing when I put winter tires on my CT. Also, does anyone run 205/50/17 winter tires on the stock 17" rims? Thinking of doing this and getting F Sport rims for the summer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts