Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a 2011 CT, I live in Rochester NY.. we had a ton of snow last year (and every year).. By a ton I mean over 100 inches. I seem to get varying answers on how this car will perform in the snow. I drive 40-50 miles round trip each day. There are some hills, some highway and some suburban roads to navigate. Would love to save some gas money but need something safe that will get me and kids where we need to go. Please give your honest answer. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Andrew. I am reading about the traction control making things worse, with a real good set of snow tires would this even be an issure? Thanks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi, I live in London. The stock all seasons are terrible in the snow. Switch to a quality snow tire and you will have no problem except when the snow is over 6" or so deep. My wife did manage to get stuck once last winter in some thick snowplow bank that was about 10" deep. It was stuck due to ground clearance, not traction.
The traction control can be turned off in 2014+ models if you need to rock the car out of deep snow.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I came from an 06 Prius, with no option to turn off the traction control.
I had a set of Gislaved Nordfrost5, same tires I will be running on my 15 CT, and the Prius was fine with them.
I'm talking about 6+" snow, and I live up an escarpment. I could stop and start on the hill up to my home without any issues.

We'll see how the CT does, but I'd imagine it would be better, now that I'll have the option to turn off the TC, and it's actually higher ground clearance than the Prius was.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've never had issues getting stuck where traction would be an issue. Generally it is due to clearance issue, but I live in the suburbs and plowing happens every morning. Even with all seasons, I never had an issue though I'd highly recommend against using all seasons. The reason you buy winter tires is for stopping. I vouch for Nokian's however they're pricey but they seem to work best in soft snow conditions. Anything ice, best bang for buck and performance I'd say would be the Michelin X-Ice. Both are super quiet in the winter. Another company people in Canada talk about a lot is the Bridgestone Blizzaks. While they perform well, I do found them a bit louder. They're also more of an ice priority set of tires, at least I seem to think so.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts