Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, as a result of using a bad gas station squeegee, I ended up having to replace my windshield. My insurance recommended safelite and covered it in full, instead of going to the dealer and having to pay for it up front and they will only pay for part of it.

During the replacement, I saw them cut some wires going to the heated glass. I also noticed there were no wires w/ the new glass, but I see that the windshield still has the heated panels. I asked him and he said as long as the glass is touching the surface, it should work. I have my doubts about that since why would there be wires in the original glass. Does anyone have any idea on this? I plan on asking the dealer in my next maintenance but I thought I'd ask here if anyone has been through it already. Thanks.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I also noticed there were no wires w/ the new glass, but I see that the windshield still has the heated panels. I asked him and he said as long as the glass is touching the surface .
How do you see the heated panels? I just don't understand what they would look like with no wires in the glass. Also "as long as the glass is touching the surface"... what surface? Curious about this. Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@lostchild It's OEM, Lexus is etched into the glass and I verified w/ them.
@kalo I see the lines where it's supposed to be heated. w/ the surface, I wasn't sure what he was talking about, that's why I'm a bit worried that it wasn't done properly. He basically said as long as the glass is on there, it will work...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I called the service dept I usually go to and they said that wires should be soldered on the glass. I've called my insurance and they are going to have it replaced again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had my CT for about 18 months and just had my second windshield broken by a stone. In contrast, our ES has gone 8 years with the original windshield as has my 2006 Miata, driving on the same roads with not so much as a stone chip. They're quite expensive to replace. Anyone else having problems with the windshield breaking often?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not sure if you would be interested. I am ordering Clearplex to put on my windshield. It is a clear protective film that goes on the outside. I have seen it used on other vehicles and makes a big difference in keeping the glass looking new. The downside is that it is recommended to replace it every 12-18 months. Cost for the kit is about $160. The only installer I have found so far wanted $400.......Still trying to contact other listed installers but with the holidays I am not having much luck getting people to answer the phone.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My windshield recently got hit with pebble and cracked. Safelite replaced it with my $50 deductible. They used aftermarket. Problem is bottom portion close to dashboard of windshield has waves and gives you a distorted view. As if you were wearing somebody else's eyeglasses. They came back to replace it. Same story. Anybody with similar issues? OEM at Lexus will cost $1300 installed and insurance will only cover $800.

·
Registered
62 Posts
^ I had the same thing occur with me today. I had it filled in today from a aftermarket glass guy, whom was recommended by Lexus Dealership for $50, but I am not happy with it at all. So I want to get the entire windshield replace with OEM glass. What type of insurance claim are you guys filing to get it covered? My Geico deductible is $250 and Lexus wants $1200 for OEM glass......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts