Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 CT that is about 4 months old. About two weeks ago, I went out to the garage to find a 12" crack across the front of the windshield. It appears there is a small mark right at the driver's side column and the crack spread from there across in front of the driver. There is no rough surface on the interior or exterior of the glass where the "impact" mark appears. The crack appeared overnight during a cool evening. I assumed this was just a result of a pebble's impact (if there was one) and a change of temperature overnight when the temp dropped into the 30's.

I checked with Lexus and was shocked to find that replacing the windshield would run almost $1600. I was told that was partly because of the rain sensor and other features I had on the vehicle.

Anyway, I've been mulling over replacing it over the coming Christmas break, but today discovered ANOTHER crack, this time on the passenger's side of the window! I don't know what to think! This crack was NOT present when I went to the post office at lunch time, but here it was this evening when I got into the car to grab a sandwich for dinner.

I've only gotten a broken windshield once before and that was from foolishly following a behind dump truck at 70MPH on Interstate 20. Nothing of the sort has happened to me recently. Now understand that I work at home, so there is no commuting. I drive an average of 5 miles a day on suburban streets, going to the grocery store or the post office. I know there aren't rocks flying up from these streets, but maybe just the occasional pebble.

My question is - can this glass be defective? I was surprised by the first break because I know there was no rock hitting the window, but the second crack is really shocking.

Does anybody have any similar stories? I'm going to the dealership and talk to them, but if there is a history of problems with CT windows, I'd like to know about it. (BTW, I've owned two other Lexus vehicles and never had problems with windshields.)

·
Banned
325 Posts
Nice to know about your windshield cracking story and advise about it. Well i had never this before but recently my windshield cracking down so i follow the instructions.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I've been told that insurance will cover chips in the windshield at no cost, but cracks, at some length, is not covered by this policy because the windshield would have to be replaced, and that you'd have to file a claim (where your deductible comes into play).

What did your insurance say?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I recently had to deal with this too. Fortunately I had paid for a $100 deductible comprehensive plan. So for my $100 I got a new genuine Lexus part, and a new $300 tint on the windshield for free. The windshield was around $1200. I would use any well rated local windshield replacing service instead of Lexus (I used a local company instead of Lexus too). Just ask them to use a genuine Lexus/OEM part. Lexus will upcharge. $1600 is cheap, since my local Lexus dealer quoted me $2400. Also, I think my original windshield was defective. Wipers would go bad in a week ($40 Bosch ones) and this happened with 3 pairs. I actually gave up on replacing it since it was ridiculously expensive to do so. After replacing the windshield, the "bad" wipers were working like brand new again and still going strong. I feel that I have read quite a bit of posts about the windshields in the ct200h cracking. Everyone that has had this happen really should report it to Lexus. Maybe they will acknowledge it down the line and cover any future incidents. When I called, the first lady was very helpful and wanted to push it to see if it can be covered. I needed to get it inspected and quoted before she could do so. After visiting Lexus and calling back, second guy basically told me to screw off and its not their fault since it was caused by a chip. I have had bigger chips in freezing weather and never had a crack. My crack was caused by a tiny chip in a perfect sunny California weather within an hour of the initial incident.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I had a big rock hit mine while I was driving. I had to pay my normal $500 deductible, but since the windshield was over $1000 I guess it was a good deal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a low miles 2014 and just two days ago, I had a similar thing happen with the windshield: the windshield was fine when I walked into a store; but when I returned, a large crack was in the windshield. The crack appears to have started at the very base of the windshield, on the passenger side of the vehicle, where it meets the body. It progresses upward so that now it is about half way up the windshield and it arcs towards the center of the vehicle. Very strange. No sign of a chip anywhere. So I started here to see if anyone else has had similar windshield issues and if so, any repair issues/suggestions....and I found your post from December 2014.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had a similar experience with a low miles 2013 the second day I had it. I was driving through the Costco parking lot, looked out the side window for a second, and when I looked back there was a very large crack horizontally across my line of vision. The crack caught the sun in a big way and made it hard to drive. I looked for any imperfection, and it was very hard to see what could have caused it, possibly a pinpoint chip at one end of the crack, but questionable.
Anyway, my insurance company covered it, minus the deductible, but wanted to try for an aftermarket one. I'm not even sure if there is one, with the rain sensor and all, but I insisted on OEM. Your insurance company should not give you any trouble. It did take the wind out of my sails though, and makes me feel like I might break something again so unexpectedly. I've read other things on here that make me wonder about the delicacy of this windshield.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts