Lexus CT200h Forums banner

Window Tinting...which brand film?

46K views 38 replies 22 participants last post by  Alex T. 
#1 ·
Been surfin' the web for a few days looking for tint shops in the local area. Of course, they all claim to have so many years of professional experience, use the best stuff that never fades, bubbles, peels, and so on. They all have mixed reviews from customers...the best, the worst, expensive, friendly, unfriendly, fair, etc. Prices are similar...most expensive being $40 more than average. All say "typically costs $____, but we'll have to see it and give an quote", "could take up to 4 hours, depending on how busy things are", "you'll just have to come in", "we're booked until...", etc.
But, they all seem to use different types of films. I haven't had a vehicle tinted since 1994 (all others I've owned already had the factory option), so I really have no knowledge of what's quality or ...sucks. I looked up reviews of best window tints, and again...mixed reviews. I'm tired now.
Two shops nearby: One uses a brand called Charcool and another uses Formula One. Which is better?

#2 ·
LLumar is generally a good quality film...I have used it many times over the years on numerous cars...however, someone recommended a brand to me which is supposed to really cut more heat than any other on the market...it is a brand called Huper Optik....Google it...not as readily available but supposed to be worth the extra cost.

#3 ·
I did see one shop offering Huper Optik...some sort of Ceramic Series, but wow...kinda pricey, indeed. :eek: That shop also offered Suntek. But, I highly doubt I'll be going to that shop. They guy I spoke to on the phone was pretty rude. I don't get that, really.

#5 ·
The guy I talked to said it'd be close to $379.
Umm...I don't think I'm willing to spend over $300 for any window tints. I'm sure they're superb in quality and have many features and capabilities...but, in a few years, I know I'll stop caring.

#6 ·
I got Formula One put on mine

And it looks great. Did 35% all the way around (almost legal) and am real happy. I know nothing about tint, but had always heard what mattered most was the people who install. I went to the place in NoVa with the best rep from what I could find. They were running a special so the whole thing was $200 and it comes with a lifetime warranty.

#7 ·
And it looks great. Did 35% all the way around (almost legal) and am real happy. I know nothing about tint, but had always heard what mattered most was the people who install. I went to the place in NoVa with the best rep from what I could find. They were running a special so the whole thing was $200 and it comes with a lifetime warranty.
I'd like to get 35% all around, but the two fronts have to be 50% here by law. Which series did you get? I heard there were several versions like Classic, Comfort, Pinnacle, etc.?

#10 ·
The law here is the same, but the tint shop was willing to give me whatever I wanted and said they rarely hear of anyone ever getting ticketed so we'll see...

As for the version, I don't remember what it was called, but it was definitely one of the cheaper options. The guys at the shop I went to willingly told me it really didn't make much difference. Although apparently if you have a factory nav system, you have to steer clear of one version as it somehow causes interference with factory navs (doesnt bother non factory GPS systems)

#12 · (Edited)
...apparently if you have a factory nav system, you have to steer clear of one version as it somehow causes interference with factory navs (doesnt bother non factory GPS systems)
Sounds like you got the Classic series. Yah, the guy I spoke to did mention the Navigation, too. I told him I had a portable GPS, but he said it was fine and only the higher end films (the metallic ones?) affected the factory Navi's.

Adam said:
Just noticed your location... I got mine done at LA Tint in Woodbridge VA. They did a great job.
I'm going to the one in the Manassas location this Saturday.

#13 ·
Question

It just occurred to me... for those who have had tint done, did they remove that Security Alarm warning sticker (is it a sticker?) on the front driver and passenger windows or just tint over it?

#14 ·
Get the FormulaOne "Pinnacle" ceramic film...it may be the priciest, but it's worth it...had that installed on my previous cars. Getting that film (35%) installed on Monday with 80% "Air Blue" on my windshield.

#15 ·
I did think about all the Classic, Comfort, Pinnacle... looking at $170, $260, $350 in prices. The cheapest one offers looks, heat & UV protection + lifetime warranty. That's good enough for me. I don't think I'll keep the car for a "Lifetime" anyway.

I'm aware that the pricier ones use higher end material and offer more heat and UV protection, but ...I really don't need it.

#16 ·
They're supposed to remove all stickers before tinting, or else it will interfere with the way the tint adheres to the glass. Mine were removed.

#17 ·
And yes, metallic films will interfere with your nav, especially in Lexus vehicles where the GPS antenna is embedded in the glass. Ceramic would be your best bet if you're looking for something comparable to metallic films.

I just got regular ones. 17% back, 35% front, ASWF (American Standard Window Films). $135 done in Southern California @ California Tint.

#18 · (Edited)
The tint shop did warn me about built in Navigation, but I don't have a premium model...only use a portable GPS. They said nothing else is affected at all, and I'll be okay. But, the funny thing is, the Formula One website itself says metallic tints interfere with smart keys, XM, cellphones, bluetooth, portable GPS, radar detectors (I'd feel better if they said "But not ours!", but then their Pinnacle Series would never sell)...which is why they offer the ceramic type tint. Then you got the Internet myths and stories about their terrible experiences...
I don't know...I'm starting to reconsider. Got 12 hours to decide to go Classic or Comfort (Dyed vs. Metallic; Less Heat/UV Protection vs. More heat/UV Protection; $170 vs. $260).
Any advice, recommendations, or justifications (other than what I just mentioned)?

#19 · (Edited)
Did it!

Done... ended up going with the Formula One Comfort: 50 in the fronts, 30 in the rears. Technically, the legal limit is 35% for the rears in this state, but the film only had 30% then 38%. The guy at the shop said cops don't care for the rears unless it's like 5% or dark in front, and recommended 30%.

Very impressive work. They guy there was done in less than 45 minutes...even after being interrupted by phone calls and talking to two customers in between. Also got a discount for 'keeping it legal'.

#20 ·
Done... ended up going with the Formula One Comfort: 50 in the fronts, 30 in the rears. Technically, the legal limit is 35% for the rears in this state, but the film only had 30% then 38%. The guy at the shop said cops don't care for the rears unless it's like 5% or dark in front, and recommended 30%.

Very impressive work. They guy there was done in less than 45 minutes...even after being interrupted by phone calls and talking to two customers in between. Also got a discount for 'keeping it legal'.

Looks really nice! I read somewhere that the factory tint is 70%. Did you add on to that to equal 50% or did you just put 50% over the 70%? Just wondering because I live in VA too and the same laws apply.

#26 ·
Getting my windows tinted next week...I have had the car exactly one year the first week of June...I live in Ft Lauderdale where the heat is pretty intense in the Summer time. Going with the 3M Crystalline 40% all around the car...and on the front windshield, going with 70% which is basically a clear tint but even at 70% is supposed to reject a lot of heat and should be invisible. All the shops in my area including the windshield being done wanted anywhere from $500-%600 dollars to do the Crystalline film...I have a guy doing it all for $400. Yes, it's a lot for window tinting but if you read the reviews on this stuff...it sounds amazing.

#29 ·
Hopefully someone knows the answer, I am a total noob when it comes to tinting. Been searching all over my area to get a tint job done with quotes coming in from $200 up to $460. I am 99% sure I found my place to go - he will charge me $260 out the door for all windows except the windshield.

I asked him if the film he uses would mess with my Nav, Sat, etc... and he said no. When asked about what brand he uses he said "Proline Charcoal" which will not interfere with my stuff, he also indicated it comes with a lifetime warranty. Anyone familiar with this brand and if its good?

#30 ·
Just got my tint done last weekend, Formula One: Pinnacle and Llumar Air Blue .

I had a 15% installed on the rear and side windows. Front windows and windshield I had the Llumar Air Blue 80% installed. I went with the Air Blue since the local law enforcement has little or no love for front window tints. It does make a big difference in the heat rejection.

#32 · (Edited)
After exhaustive research, I ended up going with FormulaOne's Pinnacle line of ceramic tints. I found a well-reviewed tint shop in the San Gabriel Valley (about 45 minutes from where I live) who gave me a good price since I brought a friend to have his car tinted with mine (my friend's Audi S5, pictured below). We spent about $550 on each car which included the windshields. I have 50% installed on my front windshield and 35% installed on the rest of the car. My friend's car has 50% installed throughout.

After 6 months of having this film on my car, I cannot recommend it any higher.

The installer did a fantastic job and I could not be more pleased with the way the film looks and handles heat rejection. My car feels about 15-20 degrees cooler than outside temperatures on a hot day, my steering wheel is never hot, and driving at night is not an issue for me as I had feared--in fact, it has helped a lot with combating other drivers' high-beams and HIDs that used to be very distracting while driving.

--- On the flip side ---

Earlier this week I was driving home from Disneyland and a cop pulled me over for my tint. I am devastated by this and while part of me wants to pay the $200 fine and not fix the tint, I am worried about getting pulled over in the future. I am leaning towards having the tint removed and then going with a less-risky 70% film all around, which means I have to switch brands (Huper Optik or 3M Crystalline are my top two contenders). The quotes I'm getting from Huper Optik installed are in the ballpark of $750 to $950, whereas I'm getting quotes for 3M Crystalline around the $500 - $700 range. Both have a sort of blueish hue to them, which I am not a huge fan of, but I have to see both in person.

Found a place called G5 in Alhambra that is a Huper Optik authorized dealer, and I think he also does 3M. Great Yelp reviews, seems to do good work. I will report back with what I end up doing.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Audi

#33 ·
After exhaustive research, I ended up going with FormulaOne's Pinnacle line of ceramic tints. I found a well-reviewed tint shop in the San Gabriel Valley (about 45 minutes from where I live) who gave me a good price since I brought a friend to have his car tinted with mine (my friend's Audi S5, pictured below). We spent about $550 on each car which included the windshields. I have 50% installed on my front windshield and 35% installed on the rest of the car. My friend's car has 50% installed throughout.

After 6 months of having this film on my car, I cannot recommend it any higher.

The installer did a fantastic job and I could not be more pleased with the way the film looks and handles heat rejection. My car feels about 15-20 degrees cooler than outside temperatures on a hot day, my steering wheel is never hot, and driving at night is not an issue for me as I had feared--in fact, it has helped a lot with combating other drivers' high-beams and HIDs that used to be very distracting while driving.

--- On the flip side ---

Earlier this week I was driving home from Disneyland and a cop pulled me over for my tint. I am devastated by this and while part of me wants to pay the $200 fine and not fix the tint, I am worried about getting pulled over in the future. I am leaning towards having the tint removed and then going with a less-risky 70% film all around, which means I have to switch brands (Huper Optik or 3M Crystalline are my top two contenders). The quotes I'm getting from Huper Optik installed are in the ballpark of $750 to $950, whereas I'm getting quotes for 3M Crystalline around the $500 - $700 range. Both have a sort of blueish hue to them, which I am not a huge fan of, but I have to see both in person.

Found a place called G5 in Alhambra that is a Huper Optik authorized dealer, and I think he also does 3M. Great Yelp reviews, seems to do good work. I will report back with what I end up doing.

The 50% windshield is very easier spotted. I have 35% all around except for the windshield and when I look at your picture.. I can immediately tell your windshield is tinted.

#35 ·
I can't count the number of major cases I have seen in the media which started with a tint stop. They are always looking for heavy tints because SOME of the people who have them are actually hiding something.

As cool as some of the tints look, I just don't need the aggravation of having to remove it or sit around while they write me a ticket. Of course I also don't park in no parking zones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.