Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week at night I was heading down the freeway when my right passenger window exploded in. Glass all over the inside of the car. Not sure of the cause. First thought because of the explosive nature was that it had been shot out. But no obvious bullet exit marks and a Highway Patrolman looked it over and we agreed it was probably road debris. Window gone completely, I vacumned as much as I could that night and contacted my insurance the next morning thinking the replacement cost would be less than my deductible, $250. First though I called my Lexus dealership to get a ball park guesstimate. The dealership quoted $305 for the glass, $350 to install, and to take care of any scratches start at $175. Ugh, ok it's supposed to be a luxury car. Next I go to one of my insurance company's local shops (the arrangement is that they can write up an estimate and do the work or I can take it to an adjuster who will write it up, write a check and I take it to whoever I want). The local repair shop looks it over in great detail and comes up with a number of $3,800 and 8 working days in the shop to paint exterior scratches, fix scratches in the interior panels and replace glass (10 days total). Double Urk!!. Today on the advice of a friend, I went by a fairly large glass place in Oakland. They have the glass in stock and total cost with installation $180. plus change and two hours wait time. That does not make any allowance for the paint scratches or the interior panel scratches.

In the meantime even though I got a move on reporting it will take 7 days from my initial contact to get a quote from the Insurance company's adjuster. Best guess is that he will want to go with the cheapest solutions all around and that means glass from a source other than Lexus(apparently they have that right) and then how they charge for the paint scratches and whether they will even allow for scratches on the interior panels. Another minor but major issue for me is that the car is basically unusable without the glass in place. The missing window is covered by plastic but at any speed over 30 mph the plastic threatens to rip off and we're experiencing inclement weather here. Ordinarily 10 days without the car isn't a hardship as I have 2 motorcycles (one of which is usable) and a bicycle but I'm a little bit leery of the rain and I was recently doored which makes me more cautious.

So my quandaries that I would ask knowledgeable persons:
1. is the glass from Lexus any different than that from PPG? And is that based on experience or just opinion?
2. my ct200h is the Torino red and I am told this is a 3 layer paint. Just how difficult is that paint to work with? Require a hardener?

Think that's it for the moment. Appreciate the forum, gives me a way to lay out what happened and let me think through the issues.
And I appreciate any sensible comments.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've used both OEM factory glass and aftermarket glass in several Lexus' as well as BMW. Quality is equal, BUT features sometimes are not. For example, some glass replacements don't have an acoustic rating. You want to make sure it does or you'll notice more road noise, passing vehicles, wind etc.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi all and thanks roadfrog, your comments lead me to insist on OEM glass only to find out from two Lexus dealerships that the CT200h only has tempered glass in the side windows. The acoustic glass is a laminate and the glass which got blown out was not laminated. It did come out in big pieces as well as small but not like the glass laminates you see in front windows. Well anyway my insurance paid out $305. for the Lexus glass side window piece when my local friendly glass shop would charge $180. for tempered American made PPG glass with installation. I don't know whether to feel bad about that or not but hey your comments gave me reason to insist and the result is that my actual out of pocket deductible was reduced. So thanks.

Some interesting things learned, only a couple of Lexus models (the LS? and one other) have the acoustic glass. Apparently not the CT200h. Also there are several ( I ran across less than 10 on-line) reports of CT200h passenger side windows being blown out in the manner I described above. Actually the descriptions are very close to my own experience and involve no outside agencies. Go figure. And if you want to learn who made your windshield and where it was made, China etc, or for PPG (France, Italy, Canada, the US). All windshields sold in the US apparently have a DOT number stamped or engraved and registered. So go to DOT glass database: DOT number search: DOT Number Database

But a mystery remains as to why it is the passenger side window which gets blown in. I didn't run across any reports of the driver's window being blown in in a similar manner. Several driver guesses as to pressure differentials or vibrations.

·
Registered
84 Posts
But a mystery remains as to why it is the passenger side window which gets blown in. I didn't run across any reports of the driver's window being blown in in a similar manner. Several driver guesses as to pressure differentials or vibrations.
The exact same thing happened to my CT200h. This is a design fault of the car - there is too much pressure against the windows when the sunroof is open and the windows are closed. Note how the sunroof doesn’t open all the way. They reduced the pressure that way, but it’s not enough. It’s also a cheap fix and very lame - to just stop the roof early in its tracks.

Toyota refused to admit this and it’s the reason why I (a former Toyota engineer!) refuse to buy Toyota products. This is a safety issue, and Toyota’s handling of it was ATROCIOUS.

The repair should be covered under warranty and Toyota should solve the problem. They refused to do this.

My dealer did feel bad and cut the cost down in half. I paid about $350CAD to have the passenger window replaced, with OEM glass.

Today I read that Toyota is recalling millions of vehicles over a fuel pump issue which can cause your car to stall or catch fire. Wow, their reliabilty isn’t what it used to be!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts