Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Devastating earthquake and I wish them a speedy recovery..

I can't help but to wonder if this disaster will delay CT200h shipments out of Japan?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I posted in that thread this info:

The CT is produced at the Toyota Motor Kyushu plant in the southern Fukuoka prefecture. It was not at all heavily impacted by the Tsunami or earthquake. Many of the images of Japanese vehicle marshalling yards are of a Nissan/Infiniti yard.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Whew.... they are very fortunate.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Toy­ota State­ment Regard­ing Earth­quake and Tsunami in Japan
Toyota’s asso­ciates and team mem­bers in North Amer­ica extend our heart­felt sym­pa­thy and deep­est con­do­lences to the peo­ple of Japan, our col­leagues and their families.
Cur­rently, Toy­ota Motor Cor­po­ra­tion (TMC) has estab­lished a company-wide emer­gency task force to assess the sit­u­a­tion and take ini­tial measures.
As of now, Toy­ota has con­firmed that there have been no injuries at the Tokyo head office, as well as the Higashifuji, Tochigi office, Yamanashi office, and Toy­ota Motor Tohoku facilities.
We are con­tin­u­ing to gather infor­ma­tion on our other oper­a­tions in Japan.
All TMC plants have restarted production.
The plants that have stopped pro­duc­tion are Toy­ota sub­sidiary plants that pro­duce parts and vehi­cles, including:
Toy­ota Motor Hokkaido Plant
Toy­ota Motor Tohoku Plant
Cen­tral Motor Cor­po­ra­tion Miyagi Plant, which also pro­duces the Yaris model.
Kanto Auto Works Iwate Plant, which also pro­duces the Scion xB and Scion xD.
Employ­ees at these facil­i­ties have been evac­u­ated to safe areas.
We are also cur­rently assess­ing the sit­u­a­tion at our sup­pli­ers, deal­ers and the impact on North Amer­i­can import vehicles.
Toyota’s num­ber one pri­or­ity is to sup­port our employ­ees at TMC, our part­ner com­pa­nies, sup­pli­ers and deal­ers through this situation.
We will con­tinue to pro­vide updates as new infor­ma­tion becomes available.

·
Registered
283 Posts

Toyota says quake-hit plants escape major structural damage

Toyota
Virtually every Toyota model exported to the United States from Japan, from the Prius (shown) and Corolla to models in the Lexus and Scion lineups, is affected by the shutdowns stemming from the earthquake.

By HANS GREIMEL, AUTOMOTIVE NEWS on 3/15/2011

Toyota Motor Corp. has released the first damage report for its northern Japanese factories in the region hammered by Friday's massive earthquake, saying some equipment and fixtures will need repairs but that the plants sustained no major structural harm.

For days after the quake, Toyota had trouble contacting it plants in the northern Japan quake zone, making it difficult to assess their status. Two Toyota body-making subsidiaries have assembly plants in the region, while the parent company operates two parts factories there.

One of two convoys of Toyota-dispatched relief trucks reached the area on Sunday, while another arrived Monday, the company said. The convoy – comprised of six water tankers, two fuel tankers and nine cargo trucks – delivered supplies to the factories' communities.

Among the emergency goods: water, food, blankets and portable toilets.

"We don't have any reports of injuries. There were no deaths, and everybody's safe," spokesman Paul Nolasco said of the company's employees in the disaster area.

Other details weren't immediately available.

No major equipment problems

All of those northern facilities have been shut down since the earthquake, which was recently upgraded to a magnitude of 9.0, struck off Japan's northeastern coast Friday – collapsing buildings, buckling roads, triggering landslides and unleashing a series of deadly tsunamis.

The two assembly plants include one run by Central Motors Co. in Miyagi prefecture and another operated by Kanto Auto Works Ltd., in neighboring Iwate prefecture.

The Central Motors plant, which just opened in January, suffered damage to its wall and some pipes but had no major structural or equipment problems, Toyota said Tuesday. The Kanto Auto plant had some of its stamping machines displaced by the quake's shaking.

The Central Motors plant makes the Yaris small car for export to the United States. Kanto Auto makes the Yaris sedan, as well as the Scion XB and Scion XD for the U.S. market.

Toyota's parts plants were not badly damaged, the company said.

But the temblor did damage a battery-making line at a plant operated by Primearth EV Energy Co., a joint venture between Toyota and Panasonic. That factory, filled with sensitive high-tech equipment, makes nickel-metal hydride batteries for various Toyota gasoline-electric hybrids.

It was still unclear how much repair work is needed or when the plants would come online.

Other Toyota plants throughout the country were in operating condition, including another nickel-metal hydride battery factory run by Primearth EV Energy in central Japan.

But Toyota has suspended all 28 manufacturing sites nationwide, at the parent company and its seven affiliates, through at least Wednesday amid parts shortages and power shutdowns.

Virtually every Toyota model exported to the United States from Japan, from the Prius and Corolla to models in the Lexus and Scion lineups, is affected by the shutdowns.

Read more: Toyota says quake-hit plants escape major structural damage - AutoWeek Magazine

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Was just told, that there may be a delay since not all cars made it to the port to be processed and shipped. Do not know hold long of a delay there will be but it something that not could have been avoided. As I hear more, I will share.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
There is an article I read today, I think the NY Times, that states the Panasonic factory that makes the batteries for the Prius (and presumably the Lexus CT200H) was damaged by the tsunami.

Depending on the extent of the damage this could significantly impact delivery times !!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.