Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Set up this nav system!!!!

This is just idiotic, any time I want to use the system at all, the vehicle must be parked.

I can't enter destinations, my passenger can't enter destinations, the voice control won't let me enter a destination, and now I found out that now that I've added more than one page of eDestinations I can't even SCROLL DOWN TO THE NEXT PAGE while moving!!! WTF!??! I don't even need to take my eyes off the road to do this, there's an up/down button above the joystick!

I've got all this music on my 32gb tiny thumb drive, but CAN'T GET TO IT WHILE MOVING.

This is a CAR for crissakes! It's supposed to be moving! It is *NOT* dangerous for the passenger to select music while the vehicle is moving.

Please, someone tell me how to hack this thing or install a 'bypass' switch so the damned car will let me use the interface even a little while moving.

There must be a solution to this. ***K the government nazi's mandating this type of crap, this is completely inexcusable.

</rant>

·
Registered
208 Posts

This is just idiotic, any time I want to use the system at all, the vehicle must be parked.

I can't enter destinations, my passenger can't enter destinations, the voice control won't let me enter a destination, and now I found out that now that I've added more than one page of eDestinations I can't even SCROLL DOWN TO THE NEXT PAGE while moving!!! WTF!??! I don't even need to take my eyes off the road to do this, there's an up/down button above the joystick!

I've got all this music on my 32gb tiny thumb drive, but CAN'T GET TO IT WHILE MOVING.

This is a CAR for crissakes! It's supposed to be moving! It is *NOT* dangerous for the passenger to select music while the vehicle is moving.

Please, someone tell me how to hack this thing or install a 'bypass' switch so the damned car will let me use the interface even a little while moving.

There must be a solution to this. ***K the government nazi's mandating this type of crap, this is completely inexcusable.

</rant>
I think there are some aftermarket things that can bypass it, but they are not cheap (~$300 IIRC).

Toyota has set up their cars this way for a while. I guess their liability lawyers have them terrified. In my old Prius, I installed a switch to defeat the locked-out features, but it's not that simple anymore.

If you really need to set up destinations on the fly, you can call Lexus Enform. Personally, I think the reason they still force these things on you is because they think this will somehow force more people to continue the subscription. Not me. It's a nice service, but not worth $100/yr.

Anyhow, I agree 100% with you. An easy fix would have been to have the unit check to see if there is a passenger in the front seat. If there is, turn on the locked-out functionality.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, if there's a device for $300 that will fix this I'll take it. NOW!

I use this car for work, we do on-site computer support, and eDestinations was one of the factors that went into buying the car.

Now I can pull up my daily workorders at home, cut and paste them into the Lexus system, and 'beam' them to the car.

I just can't SELECT that destination unless the car is parked. UGH!

Yeah, if they'd put in a passenger lockout bypass I would have hacked into that already.

Man, this is the one thing I hate about the car so far. MUST ... BYPASS ... LOCKOUT! ;]

I think there are some aftermarket things that can bypass it, but they are not cheap (~$300 IIRC).

Toyota has set up their cars this way for a while. I guess their liability lawyers have them terrified. In my old Prius, I installed a switch to defeat the locked-out features, but it's not that simple anymore.

If you really need to set up destinations on the fly, you can call Lexus Enform. Personally, I think the reason they still force these things on you is because they think this will somehow force more people to continue the subscription. Not me. It's a nice service, but not worth $100/yr.

Anyhow, I agree 100% with you. An easy fix would have been to have the unit check to see if there is a passenger in the front seat. If there is, turn on the locked-out functionality.

·
Registered
11 Posts
check out the prestigious society (PS) navi bypass.. imo it's better..
there's a review of both of them on clublexus forums...

the beatsonic bypass comes with a horrendous looking button/switch.. it's big and bulky and will be an eyesore unless you can hide it somewhere.. plus i also heard that there's a 30 sec time limit on the beat sonic unless you cut some wires...

I contacted a PS rep and was informed that the PS navi bypass will not need to install a separate button.. I was told that it will work from the steering wheel... (not sure what he meant) but regardless, the unit overall seems better than the beatsonic one...

I did some research and found a guy in socal that will do the Prestigious Society bypass and the Vaistech ML+ install on the ct... I will probably be doing those mods soon.. the ML+ looks sick..

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool, already 'pulled the trigger' on the Beatsonic one though.

Not to worried about the looks of the switch, my stereo shop will be doing a ton of custom work and will find a way to integrate it cleanly even if they use their own switch.

Cutting out automatically after 30 seconds sounds PERFECT. The nav system does need that vehicle speed sensor, and as a geek, it doesn't take me long to click where needed. Really I just want to be able to select my already programmed eDestination, I'm not looking to input a destination manually while driving. Being able to flip through my 32gb of music on the thumb drive will be nice too!

Can't wait!!!!

I'd easily pay $315 for the other one if it were better and I hadn't pulled the trigger on this one, but it sounds like this will do exactly what I'm crying like a little girl for. ;]

the beatsonic bypass comes with a horrendous looking button/switch.. it's big and bulky and will be an eyesore unless you can hide it somewhere.. plus i also heard that there's a 30 sec time limit on the beat sonic unless you cut some wires...

I contacted a PS rep and was informed that the PS navi bypass will not need to install a separate button.. I was told that it will work from the steering wheel... (not sure what he meant) but regardless, the unit overall seems better than the beatsonic one...

I did some research and found a guy in socal that will do the Prestigious Society bypass and the Vaistech ML+ install on the ct... I will probably be doing those mods soon.. the ML+ looks sick..

·
Registered
146 Posts
I opted out for the reasons mentioned. I use my iPad 2 as my Navi/Entertainment system(s) Plus it's not only a updatable navigation system, BTA but email, apps and so much more AND I don't have to stop to use it myself or a passenger.

Here's my set up, I lost a cup holder but gained a lot more in return.

·
Registered
200 Posts

</rant>
Don't go blaming Lexus or Toyota. The NTSB wants to keep distractions down so no entering destinations while driving. That is why you will never see a DVD player in any front screen on a USA sold car. Of course you can prop up an iPhone on iPad and watch a movie while driving, not too smart however

·
Registered
393 Posts
I opted out for the reasons mentioned. I use my iPad 2 as my Navi/Entertainment system(s) Plus it's not only a updatable navigation system, BTA but email, apps and so much more AND I don't have to stop to use it myself or a passenger.

Definitely the way to go. Ipad or Smartphone.. so much more going for it. Your mount looks good!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Definitely the way to go. Ipad or Smartphone.. so much more going for it. Your mount looks good!
Thank you!

here are more pictures...

·
Registered
2 Posts

My friend got the beat-sonic bypass for his Lexus IS. I helped him install the kit and Yes, the switches were big and bulky. But he only needed to use 1 switch to bypass the navigation side. The DVD was bypassed at all times and tucked away behind all the other wiring. He did not have a 30 second limit and I did not cut any wires while I was performing the installation.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Its an "idiot" thing until someone rear ends you because they were trying to input an address into their car. If you are going from house to house, just scroll and choose the address you need to go to before you put the car in gear... seems like a pretty smart and simple solution.

Also, how is the computer supposed to know if it is you typing or your passenger.

Lastly, you can still access your Previous Destinations while moving, and access your phones previous dialed numbers... and my car allows me to input addresses using voice while I am moving, as well as make phone calls via phonebook or number..so perhaps you arent doing it right.

These laws are done for a reason. Because of the real idiots who get so distracted while they are driving they kill people.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ipad

Hi!

How did you do this?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Don't have any of these problems in the UK. Not sure about the rest of the world. I can change the Sat Nav and everything else whilst driving. Perhaps diving on the wrong side of the road has it advantages. And I thought we where becoming a nanny state.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.