Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I currently have two kensun HID kits (one for low beams, and one for fogs)
They both tend to misfire when the headlights are set to auto mode.
Usually on colder days, but it also happens on warm days once in a while.

Now that spring is here and the weather is better, I would like to buy relay kits so I don't have to worry about this issue.

Any suggestions on:
Which relay kit to buy?
Where to buy it from?
Where is the battery? Front or back? If in the back, is there a terminal under the hood to hook up the relay kit to?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
A relay kit is not needed, even if you use 55W HID; it won't fix your problem. The battery is in the back, but there is a direct positive battery terminal under the engine fuse box cover. I have Kensun and they have not misfired in 1 /2 years on auto. To be fair my weather doesn't get that cold, but I am not sure how or why you are misfiring on cold days, I don't think heating circuitry is on headlight circuitry. One question, when you encounter the misfire do you have a lot of accessories turned on, and if so does the situation change if you turn them all off ?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A relay kit is not needed, even if you use 55W HID; it won't fix your problem. The battery is in the back, but there is a direct positive battery terminal under the engine fuse box cover. I have Kensun and they have not misfired in 1 /2 years on auto. To be fair my weather doesn't get that cold, but I am not sure how or why you are misfiring on cold days, I don't think heating circuitry is on headlight circuitry. One question, when you encounter the misfire do you have a lot of accessories turned on, and if so does the situation change if you turn them all off ?

Thanks for the reply!
I don't think this is the case for me.

The only accessory that is typically turned on is the radio (FM, volume 13-20)

I use the seat warmer as well, but usually turn it on after I start driving when I remember that my butt could be warm without producing methane lol
Climate controls are turned off for the first 5-10 minutes of driving until I get to the hwy because I like to maximize fuel economy
USB Charging connector to cell phone (sometimes plugged in, usually not)
Don't have window defrost or anything else turned on until after I turn on the car and get settled in

Oh, and I got the one HID that was misfiring replaced by kensun, but the replacement does the same thing.
I also swapped the foglight that was doing this, and same problem.

It is always the driver side headlight that does this, and I believe the driver side fog light as well (But I am not sure since I rarely use fog lights)

Any other thoughts?

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Did Kensun replace the bulb or the ballast. The ballast is probably causing the error, not the bulb The purpose of the ballast is to limit the current after the HID light fires. Once the HID light fires the arc has negative resistance and the entire purpose of the ballast is to add resistance to the circuit. The purpose of a relay circuit is to connected you directly to the battery so that other devices on the same circuit don't restrict the voltage and current to your specific device, in this case the HID. Make sure your relay circuit is fused; I would use 5 amp fuse. You can use anyone's relay circuit. I think DDM has one for $29.99 The reason I said earlier that a relay circuit is not need because the headlight circuit is a 40 amp circuit and a 35 w HID only draws 2.9 amperes at initial startup. The only reason "Auto" is any different is because you already have most other devices and accessories already drawing power. One final thought, because the ballast is the most likely cause, is to use regular ballasts rather than the slimline ones. The second most likely cause is that the wiring connecting your circuitry is somewhere bottle-neck with too small of gauge wire. Third most likely, which you are addressing, is that you are not getting full voltage and current when you light try to fire; in this case, yes, a relay circuit will work .... assuming you don't need to replace your 12 volt battery. Have you has it checked lately ? Anyway, good luck HID lights are awesome when they work

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the pointers, they actually replaced bulb and ballast, and I tried replacing the ballast only, and then the bulb as well. Same results, misfire.

You are correct, they are the slim ballasts, which could potentially cause an issue.

Thanks for letting me know all relay kits are the same, I will most likely grab a DDM kit.

Will post back in a month or two when I have completed this.

Thanks!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts