Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.. any recommendation on Car wash / Wax brand?
For light & dark color, I guess they might be different?
I would love to take good care of my CT, please help :confused:

Thanks a bunch & Drive safe :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm surprised no one has responded to this thread yet. I was hoping to hear recommendations, experiences, opinions, etc.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Turtle extreme use to be pretty good for wash. Wax is a pain in the but to get good, always leaves marks on the car so I use to turn the car in for that.. or yeh I turn the car in for hand wash too, but cleans it some times a year by my self too.

I do these steps when I clean it:
1. Place the car in shade and let it cool down

2. Start with the garden hose at the bottom of the car and soak it upwards from there (start at bottom so that dirt dosnt stick to dirt as is the result if starting from top).

3. Clean the wheels

4. Spraying the car with a high pressure-wash thing (dont know the english word) in all gaps and places where dirt can hide.

5. Take a clean bucket and a big sponge of good quality (please don't use the cheap yellow junk!), mix the shampoo and with water according to the box.

6. Start from top and work down from front to rear of the car. I do never use circular movements (Im not karate kid! :p And circular movements will make scratches. ). I work with much water/shampoo in the sponge (and do never use up all water in it before re-soaking) and in straight lines from front and backwards as said.
If I drop the sponge on the ground.. I do throw it away and use a new one! Stones are bastards even when they cant be seen by eye!

7.Then I rinse the car with my garden hose.

8. Dry it with those towels that I dont know the name of hehe, use the artificial once since they most often suck water better. This towel must be clean and if I drop it on the ground I have a replacement to continue with, cause (as said) small stones is not very gentle to the car. Im very careful to never let the car dry by it self since there is minerals in the water that will leave marks.

9. Dry all the gaps, door-frame and such.

Or you can do like this guy :D :

Sorry, not really what you asked for, but any how..

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm surprised no one has responded to this thread yet. I was hoping to hear recommendations, experiences, opinions, etc.
Since I see 100 people had browse inside this topic, but no reply, except you!!! Thank you! :D

I did some reading, and here's a post I think is pretty useful, and I'm going to try their recommendation..

Information from:
Car wash soap comparison - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum

"... The clear winner in this test was Duragloss 902. It had great lubricity, great cleaning ability and left a just-waxed finish on the surface.

The runner-up was CG due to it's great cleaning ability. It also has the ability to strip wax pretty easily so it would be great before polishing.

A tie for third was the Ultima and Optimum products. Both were good in all regards but did not clean as well as DG or CG. They seem very evenly matched and were a breeze to work with..."

The person who wrote this, he did the comparison test himself. And I believe he did a very good job on the test and explained in details.

Duragloss 902
View attachment 37295

Chemical Guys Citrus Wash
View attachment 37296

·
Registered
267 Posts
actually, i found your write up very useful, maxa. thanks for sharing.
is there a particular reason you clean the wheels, first? it's just that i noticed the guy in the video seemed to do it last (or after the shampoo).

i need one of those high-pressure washers one of these days. i could use one to clean the house, too.

I was thinking of using one of those complete kits from meguiar's...give it a try and see. i hear they're great.

·
Registered
267 Posts
xyip, Duragloss products look great. I'm going to have to check that out, too

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've tried all sort of brands for car wash detergent and waxes and they all work well. My favorite were Meguiar brand, but there are varying opinions as which is the best. I find the 100% carnauba wax don't last as long as the compound waxes, I think they burn off more quickly in the hot sun.

Some suggestions for washing a car:

- Wash in a cool shady area if possible.
- Thoroughly soak the car with water first to allow the dirt to swell and easily fall or removed from the paint.
- Do NOT use any type of sponge. Dirt and dust get trapped in the sponge and create small scratches better known as swirl marks, very noticeable in dark and especially black cars. Use either the soft bristle brush especially designed for washing cars or those car washing mitts/blocks that look like mop head material.
- If your car is really dirty, go over lightly to remove the dirt with the mitt and hose at the same time before sudsing the car down. Remember to rinse the mitt/block frequently in the bucket of soap to remove particulates from the mitt.
- I would wash the wheels last and not first because it's the dirtiest part of the car with all that brake dust and dirt, would'nt want to add that to the wash bucket and then wash the car.

·
Registered
222 Posts
i'm not a crazy detailer myself, but i use and like meguiar's stuff. cost vs. performance/quality seems to be very fair with their products.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've used Zaino before, when I had my GS300, it looks great.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I know washing by hand is best, but there will be times I will have to use a full service car wash. Since the car goes through with out a driver, what should I know ahead of time? It looks like the car will have to be left running to be in neutral. Has anyone used a car wash yet.

Don't be too hard on me, I'm old. lol :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@dkid: Use only the touchless car wash, if no other choice. Don't use those with rollers!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Do you all keep some sort of schedule or 'rule of thumb' of some sort when washing your cars? Or do you act on instinct/impulse, according to weather conditions, whenever you find time, etc.? Did weather ever affect your decisions like "Why bother? It's gonna rain in a few days."

I've never really "cared" for a car before, but I'd like to start now. Unless under an extreme condition (like a flock of seagulls all sat on the car and took a dump) I thought like...once a month wash, polish/wax every 3rd wash? Would that suffice (enough to just maintain...no showroom shine necessary at all times)?

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
I usually wash my car several times a week. With Starfire Pearl, every little speck of dust shows up easily. UGH. Touchless car washes for me, hand wash on lawn when not working.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Agree with Matt! White need to wash a lot, even worse if you want the Black to look good.

I try to schedule myself for bi-weekly wash, but will put a dollar for just water spray wash in between if I have time and needed. Wax and detailing.. I think every 3 or 4 months?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Wow. Several times a week? Well, it's understandable, I guess.
I think I should consider washing mine this weekend...windows are getting dirty and water spots left from the rain.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Never heard of Zymol... Looked it up, and Wow! That is some pricey, high-quality stuff! :eek: I'm sure it works great, though.
I ended up going with Meguiar's. In fact, I haven't washed my car since my last post in early May. Even after all the rainy weather, I kept on using a combination of a California Duster and Ultimate Quik Detailer to keep it spotless. Works fantastic! I do use the wheel cleaner + tire shine every weekend, though.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Zymol Mm.. I would love to try it out as well as Duragloss mentioned earlier.
But I already over spend too much on my lovely CT.
Will try it after I finished with the Turtle wash I bought.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Wash: Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Gloss
Clay bar: Riccardo`s Yellow or Blue
Quick Detailer: Optimum No Rinse
Paint Prep: Klasse All In One
Sealant: Klasse Sealent Glaze (PITA to use)
Wax: P21S 100% Carnuba or Poorboys World Natty Red (Cheap and amazing)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts