Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I'm down to a few days left before I surrender my baby to VIP Auto Works for its transformation.

Custom Lip Kit
Coilovers w/ a conservative drop, dunno how much yet. LOL.
Wheels/Tires

I currently am running stock 17s. If I do put 20s, will I definitely have rubbing issues especially if it's lowered?

Please advise. Very new to the modding scene.

Would 18s or 19s be better? I need something that straddles practicality (since this is my daily driver) and awesome looks.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Hey everyone. I'm down to a few days left before I surrender my baby to VIP Auto Works for its transformation.

Custom Lip Kit
Coilovers w/ a conservative drop, dunno how much yet. LOL.
Wheels/Tires

I currently am running stock 17s. If I do put 20s, will I definitely have rubbing issues especially if it's lowered?

Please advise. Very new to the modding scene.

Would 18s or 19s be better? I need something that straddles practicality (since this is my daily driver) and awesome looks.
Forget about 20" rims - may not even find them for the CT.

19" max - 18" preferred to minimize tire and rim damage.

Go for at least a 1" drop

Lowering also impacts alignment, camber and toe angle.

Each will have to be measured and adjusted to compensate.

Method of correction can sometimes be simple and sometimes complex - depends on suspension configuration.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Are you buying all parts from VIP Autowerks? Is your intention to get the largest rims and lower it as much as possible? My guess is that VIP Autowerks will take your initial request, give it a try, call you if they run into any problems, and then offer you solutions (smaller rims, lower profile tires, mods) and recommendations. ...won't they?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Agreed... 18's or 19's max (IMHO). Depending on how low you go - 8 inch width with a max +38 to +40 might be all you can get without going with an aggressive camber on the front fenders. The rear appears to have 3 to 5mm more clearance on the outside, but then you have to worry about rubbing on the lower rear suspension arm on the inside.

Where did they get the coil-overs? I'm waiting to hear back today on pricing for the newly released Tein products.

Good luck - can't wait to see the finished product.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not sure I can be much help since I'm still on the waiting list...but my local dealer is running 18x8 Motegi SP10 (on the fronts, not sure if they went bigger on the rears) but they look very clean. There is still a gap with the 18's, so 19's may fill it...not sure how much drop you were planning.

·
Registered
222 Posts
18" wheels are the max i'd go with the ct200h as anything larger is kind of comical.

tein released two versions of coilovers for the ct200h in japan. tein products are pretty much crap unless you get one of their high end racing-spec coilover kits (which will not be released for the ct200h), so if you choose to go tein be forewarned that you're basically paying for a green color paint job and a 'made in japan' label. i would rather ride stock suspension and wait to see what else comes to market. do i dislike tein? yes, but from experience in using their products in the past and from close auto enthusiast friends' experiences as well. just passing along the information, not hearsay.

good luck with the mods, post pics when completed!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Tire: 215/40/18
Rim: 5x100 18x7.5 offset:45 (+-3)

I was told these are the recommended settings for 18"
Not sure if it is good idea to put 18x8.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
definitely a 1" drop.

I will go with 18s.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
is it true that 18" can drop another 1 " on height.. ?
The concept of changing rim size does nothing to change the overall diameter of the rim and tire which should remain as far as possible a constant value.

1" increase in rim diameter requires 2 x 1/2" reduction in wall height of tire.

How much you can drop the suspension depends on multiple factors varying from car to car and is not simply a wheel and tire size thing. However, going with wider rims will present clearance issues when you lower a car.

So while you may be able to drop the rear x" that may not work on the front because there may not be enough clearance from the fenders to turn the wheels.

·
Registered
199 Posts
is it true that 18" can drop another 1 " on height.. ?
If you ran 16's and ran a tire with a short sidewall (say a 205/45/16) you could lower it via tire size, but you will also dramatically change your speedometer reading and have tiny wheels/tires.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tanabe came out with Sustec NF210 coilovers for the CT in Japan. I hope they come over here soon. How does one purchase JDM parts from Japan?!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Matt: One thing for sure it will look HAWT. However, be ready to drive in caution mode always. Especially on L.A. streets. Meaning steep driveways, potholes, railroad tracks, concrete parking stops and any objects in the road will be your eternal enemies. hehe

Driving a lowered car, especially with a lip kit takes practice and little skills. I'm speaking from motherly experience. LOL!

Hey, just keep VIP's body shop phone# handy to do the touch ups on the lip kit ;-)

Definitely go with the 18's. I think they will fill up the wheel well quite nicely with a 1" drop... without compromising the comfort of the stock ride too much.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am so nervous. DAMN. The car is already low enough!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts