Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I couldn't find anything about recommended time/mileage intervals between wheel alignment/balancing checks on my 2016 CT200h owner's manual. Can anyone help me with that ?

·
Registered
313 Posts
I would recommend doing both each time you buy new tires. You can check the tires with your hands to feel if the tread is wearing out faster on one side, which means you may need an alignment (especially if you hit a bad pothole recently).

In my experience, I never need either one unless I hit something hard enough, but I do them when I buy new tires just to be safe and correct the steering angle which may be off by a bit after all the miles I put on my old tires.

·
381 Posts
Neither are really things you need to do routinely.
A balancing is done when new tires are installed. As far as alignment, you really only need to do something if you hit something (pothole, curb, etc) or change the suspension geometry by lowering the car. Otherwise, unless you're seeing uneven wear during tire rotations or the car is pulling to the left or right, you don't really need to do it regularly.

The nice thing is that many shops will do an alignment check for free. So that's an option if you really want.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Neither are really things you need to do routinely.
A balancing is done when new tires are installed. As far as alignment, you really only need to do something if you hit something (pothole, curb, etc) or change the suspension geometry by lowering the car. Otherwise, unless you're seeing uneven wear during tire rotations or the car is pulling to the left or right, you don't really need to do it regularly.

The nice thing is that many shops will do an alignment check for free. So that's an option if you really want.
I would agree. If you drive on smooth roads, and you don't notice uneven wear on your tires during tire rotations, and your call doesn't pull to one side, you probably never need an alignment. If you drive close to 100k miles per set of tires like I do, on all sorts of bad roads, you may want to align your car after each new tire set, so you don't prematurely wear out the tires.

For the record, every alignment I've done was actually warranted. The shop always sees enough misalignment that it was worth doing, just because of the roads I have to drive on. For most people, a $100 alignment every few years when you need new tires is not much, and helps make sure your car is in good shape as far as steering and tire wear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts