Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Why waste your money on higher octane? The engine is programmed for 87 in the US. I do not know about other countries. If it is programmed for 87 you will not gain power or mileage with higher octane. Sometimes it will even decrease mileage. Car and Driver magazine did a test a few years ago on a Honda Accord designed for 87 and it did worse on 91. Now if it is designed for 91 then you will get more power from 91 and if you use 87 the computer will adjust the timing etc to produce less power and eliminate knocking.

·
Registered
44 Posts
87 here

·
Registered
270 Posts
95 RON here, which is the standard for the UK.

We have the option at most garages to use 98 or 99 RON ("Super" unleaded) but in my experience all that achieves is :

A bigger petrol bill (approx +10p per litre)
Lumpy running for the first 10 miles or so (the engine management adjusting to the higher octane)
No improvement in power or mpg

My advice - stick to a garage you trust for consistency in the petrol you use, ignore the hype and ad slogans for higher octane fuel.

People may find this story curious too : How close is F1 fuel to road car fuel? James Allen on F1 although they don't mention octane ratings in that.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Further to my previous post, I've be reading up but only to get very confused. However, the bottom line is different methods are used to calculate the octane rating, which accounts for differences between the USA, UK, Australia and Asia. I suppose the best thing is to follow the factory specification nominated in your Owner's Manual/Fuel cap for your country.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Bit more info : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

The US 87 AKI for regular is equivalent to 91-92 RON in the UK. Premium in the US (92-93 AKI) is equivalent to 97 RON over here.

Skimming the article, it looks like Octane rating is more about Potential For Ignition (knock potential) than Fuel Energy Density (power/mpg).

·
Registered
79 Posts
yeah...its recommended all around to use 87..

·
Registered
1 Posts
The only grades available here are 87,89 and 93. I used 93 for over six months and averaged about 22mpg. I then decided to try 89 for a while and get about 23-24 mpg and sometimes even better. No power loss or pinging and a bit cheaper. Was kind of mad for wasting money on the "good" gas for that long. Go mid grade!
I have almost 35k on my ride in just about a year so I get alot of data to back up my post. Hope this helps.
Electric Superchargers

1 - 20 of 49 Posts