Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

just was playing with a Settings menu and switched between Metric and Imperial systems. I have noticed the strange conversion ratio between two systems!
The vehicle I have is 2011 the Canadian version so all default programmings in Metric system. From my knowledge the average I have displayed in L/100km is accurate (-5%): 5.4 L/100km for year round. When I switched to Imperial, the display shows 52.3 MPG. It means 1 mile = 1.33 km. This conversion ration is confusing me as by the standard 5.4 L/100km should be 43.5 MPG and 1 mile = 1.609 km.
Is there something I have missed?

Please have a look at the images I have made from my instrument cluster today.

Speedometer Auto part Gauge Odometer Measuring instrument Speedometer Auto part Gauge Odometer Measuring instrument Speedometer Gauge Auto part Measuring instrument Odometer

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think it's to do with proper gallons and n. American gallons

46 miles per hour x 5/8 = 28.75 km so that works

Using 4.54 litres per proper gallon gives 1.1894 (5.4/4.54) gallons per 62.5 miles (100x 5/8)

So mpg = 62.5/1.1894 = 52.50 so that works

Then a us gallon is 4/5 ths uk so

52.50 x 4/5 = 42 mpg. Or so I think the logic goes ?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It makes sense KDS, thanks for doing math. The only concern is WHY Lexus designed for Canada implemented the conversion menu for the country standards that is on the other continent!? Canadian vehicles more likely travel to USA (with American measure system) and needs appropriate conversion. For same reasons Lexus MUST convert Celsius to Kelvin, instead of Fahrenheit :). BTW, what s the menu in US sold vehicles? I moved to States with my CT200h and switching to MPG definitely gives me a wrong reading. So I use metric system.

·
Banned
325 Posts
Yeah you suggest him in a very good way i like it. Actually its really a very confusing meter and Mpg is known as meter per gallons. But i think now you feel better with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts