Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can understand that on a regular gas car it warms up the engine. But on a Hybrid doesn't it just turns on and with the gas engine powered off?

Are there any benefits from having a remote store for our car?

·
Registered
46 Posts
It's more for cabin comfort than anything else. I hate walking into a piping hot car in the middle of the summer or a bitter cold car in the middle of the winter. Your climate control (and/or heated seats) should be set appropriately upon exit of the vehicle so it's ready to go next time you start up remotely.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I can understand that on a regular gas car it warms up the engine. But on a Hybrid doesn't it just turns on and with the gas engine powered off?

Are there any benefits from having a remote store for our car?
On a hybrid if the engine is cold it starts and runs untill it is warm.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Yup. What dkid said. When you first start up the car, the engine goes through a mandatory 90 second engine warm up sequence. this is why you can't go straight into EV mode after you first start your car because the engine needs to warm up. As the weather gets warmer, this start up sequence is shortened, due to warmer ambient temperatures. Also, if you shut off your car and start it up again within a few minutes, the engine still has to start to go through the mandatory warm up sequence, which wastes the most fuel (the fuel-air ratio is extremely rich at startup), so if you're just stopping in to pick up a latte or something, i would recommend leaving the car on if it will take less than two minutes to run an errand.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Matt,

When I stop and start i up frequently sometimes the gas engine doesn't come on. Maybe it's warmed up enough so it doesn't need to turn on the gas engine?

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
William, that could be a possibility. It does sense temperature of the coolant and engine in order to determine whether a warm up sequence is needed.

There must be some sort of criteria in the ECU that determines whether the start up sequence is necessary. I guess it's not mandatory as I originally thought.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts