Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Before you bought (ordered) your CT, what car were you planning to buy?

I was close to pulling the trigger on a Mercedes GLK. I also looked at the Venza for about 5 minutes.

I will keep a tally (at least until I get bored doing so)....

MB GLK
BMW 325 xi wagon
Audi A3 TDI
Prius V

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Before you bought (ordered) your CT, what car were you planning to buy?

I was close to pulling the trigger on a Mercedes GLK. I also looked at the Venza for about 5 minutes.
My wife was planning to replace her BMW 325 xi wagon with the same - then from out of the blue she declared she wanted a hybrid !!!!!

That's how she moved into the Lexus.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Audi A3 TDI - but was considering waiting out for the 2013 redesign. if there was going to be a 2013 Audi Q3 TDI (compact Crossover) i would have considered that in case it allowed for AWD.

·
Registered
49 Posts
A funny thing happened on the way to the Prius....

We got a fantastic price on a 2010 Prius V tricked out with every option. One great thing about buying used from Car Max is that they give you 7 days to return it, no questions asked. We took 3 days. It was a nifty car, with some features that I wish I could get in the CT, but it was too uncomfortable to sit in.

A couple of weeks later, were sitting in our CT, very comfortably indeed.

·
Registered
146 Posts
What I was in the market... and reasons why I didn't buy.

Audi A3 TDI - BAD reliability reviews
Prius V - Great MPG but not so eye pleasing design (No ooh ahh factor)
CR-Z - Only seats 2 & cheap looking/feel interior

·
Registered
239 Posts
Honda Civic GX (natural gas powered).

Toyota Prius PHV.

Chevy Volt (yuck! Not buying American again with them not honoring warranties!)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had driven a Nissan Juke and liked it, but was also watching for the Hyundai Veloster. If something happened to my CT today, I would seriously consider a Chevy Volt.

·
Registered
209 Posts
A3

I'd looked at quite a few cars including a BMW X1, Minis, diesel VWs etc. I thought the Prius was OK but as said above no wow factor and my wife hated it so it was out.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
okay I admit Iam a car nut.

I really wanted a manual shift, small compact, relaibility, and features.

I have had performance and was looking for mileage. I already have a 2010 Prius V with the advanced technology package which is my wife's car. It is a excellent car despite the CT Nay-sayers.

About a year and a half ago I saw a future car concept of the CT200H and said hey I could like that car.

I have looked at the VW TDI Golf with manual shift ,but read horror stories about long-term VW realibility. The Audi A3 is similar but automatic only.

I also looked at the Mazda 3, but not seriously. Nice car but not good mileage. Edmunds compares the Volvo C30 and BMW series 1 as alternatives to the CT, but thaey are more performance oriented and not mileage oriented, so I only looked at them in a research mode.

By serendipity I looke at the new Ford Focus Hatchback with manual shift. Decent mpg rating 29/36 and actually pretty peppy, quiet, and decent shift. Fully loaded only $22K but just didn't have the luxury feel.

Drove a Volt and was really impressed. Very quiet and electric engine torque was immediate and substantial 237 ft-lbs. The fit and finish was exceptional for Chevrolet and with the optional Chrome wheels it looks very good. Didn't like the ipod/smart phone like console with all the touch senstive buttons. Also didn't like small trunk with only a spider net cover and the lack of a spare- instead pump and sealant. Addtionally the Lithium-Ion batteries with a cooling jacket is still pretty leading edge technology and could have some issues. Now, I am not in a northern climate but passenger heating without a ICE could be an issue. The the 42K price with only a possible 7.5K govenrment allowance.

Oh yes, I checked out the Mercedes C300 with six speed as well as the Infiniti G37 with 6-speed. Also consided an M3 and 335 very briefly becuase I liked the handling, but not the maintenaqnce of my previous M3. Both nice but didn't need my primary needs of going 130 miles round trip between house and cabin on a almost weekly basis. I am coming from a 2005 Honda Accord EX-L 6-speed with Nav; still please with performance and economy. Because the trade-in was so low, actaully kept it to put my bass boat in the water and to do utility runs to Lowes and Home Depot .. my truck :D

Okay so , I din't really look at the CT200h as a sports car; I decided to keep my S2000 for that.

I have had Lexus before and liked their quality and luxury, the CT200h met my needs. I didn't want a large SUV, even the RX 350 was too large. However, I did consider briefly the RX450h because of the mileage.

I have about 3,800 miles on my CT now and I am very pleased. It handled 4 adults with hiking equipment in the Colorado mountains flawlessly and during the moutain driving got 41.5. It is good to haul two people with a good amount of luggage; I am not sure even three would fit comfortably. For four people on long trips I use the Prius. It will handle four people a quite a bit of luggage. I for one like the XM, but am displeased that Lexus chose to clip the 40 character RDS field to only 16 characters. I also don't like the way it doesn't pick up any information on CDs. I also think HID lights should have been standard, after all it is a Lexus! I think it is a half-way implementation to install LED DRLs and Halogen headlights.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I was looking at both the Acura TSX wagon and the Audi A3. However, neither of these cars offer anything similar to the Smart Key system, so I could never seriously consider them.

After having 6 years of keyless operation in my Prius, there's no way I'd ever go back. Especially when you see the Acura key. It's probably 8 inches long when you unfold it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Think the latest gen Prius was what really kicked me off on knowing what type of car I'd be looking at next.

Serious looking at candidates were the Prius, CR-Z and CT playing a blinder late on.

Prius looked ok, had toys but I wasn't convinced about the build quality, interior quality (after sitting in a CT) or the HUD speedo.

CR-Z is a car that misses its target in oh so many ways. It's billed as a sports coupe yet it has the same performance as the Prius/CT. Quirky looks but looks horrible from the back. Interior felt tacky compared to Prius/CT. But what killed the CR-Z for me was the total lack of interest from the local Honda garage. You'd think salespeople would act interested in selling cars to people ? Not so the one that's local to me ...

Also considered in a minor way :
BMW 1 series - generic
Audi A1 - nice but too small
Audi A3 - generic/boring
Mini - quirky/cramped
New Focus - had too many Fords already
Vauxhall Ampera / Volt - too far off, would have had to do repairs on my last car

Done less than a 100 miles so far in my CT but am already a huge fan.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Oh yeah I forgot ...also looked and and drove a Lincoln MKZ hybrid. Better acceleration than the CT, but an old stodgy car (made for people Mickey Rooney's age) and back set didn't fold down; small trunk. Basically the same as Fusion which is much cheaper; same system used by Camry hybrid and IS250h

And Lincoln is a wanabe in luxury and customer service. They are many level below Lexus and below Ford and Chevy.

·
Registered
40 Posts
1) Audi A3 TDI - Never been a diesel fan and although somewhat comparable was just not as impressive as the CT. The sales guy at the Audi was also a turn off.
2) Ford Escape Hybrid - With employee pricing, delivery discounts, etc it was affordable enough to consider. It had more interior space and we like the idea of AWD however the interior of the current generation vehicle is pretty sad and the CT had more standard features.
3) Nissan Cube/Juke - Quality was no where near the CT and the price difference wasn't really that much.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Back in March, I was one of the lucky ones that bought and secured the CT just when it was docked at the port of Vancouver, the day after the earthquake hit Japan. If I "missed the boat", I was not going to wait months for the CT. Instead, I was going for:

2011 Scion TC 6-speed
2011 TSX 4cyl (Auto)
2011 CR-Z (but cheap interior so I discounted that quickly)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts