Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because the curb slope into my driveway is shredding them, no matter how slow or angled I take it. 2012 F-sport SE (so lowered suspension). No damage to front bumper or engine cover that I can tell.

IMG_1055.jpg

Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
The following is my IMHO, but I have been thinking about this subject also since I recently scratched the ground on a speed bump while driving with 3 passengers, also at a very low speed.

Option 1: I think those bars are some sort of protection from touching the ground. I had similar bars on my Mazda 3 and touched the ground on speed bumps on a number occasions.
Option 2: Alternatively this is where you put that thing (hoisting jack?) that keeps the car in the air while you are changing a wheel - at least that what my Mazda 3 instruction said (I read it when I had to change a wheel).

Had another look at the picture - it looks like it is a lateral bar, so I think it is option 1, because the bars for option 2 (for hoisting jack) are on sides of the car, going from the front wheel to the rear one.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's definitely plastic, so I was thinking the same thing... that it's a "scrape warning" -- but wanted to see if anyone had more expert advice.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Russian, it's not a bar and not used for support in any way. It's made of plastic and I too have scraped one of mine once. I wonder if it's there to warn you so you don't scrape your front end of the car? Doubt that though, the other thought is some sort of aerodynamic device, as they're in front of each wheel?

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
These are "aerofoils" which are a way of reducing the cars cd (drag coefficient). You will see similar appendages on the underside of most modern vehicles.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guess I have no choice but to live with it. They are barely touching, in fact, at this point I think I've scraped them down to the point where they no longer touch, or have perfected my technique.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts