Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two reasons the CT200h has a bit less "oomph" and mileage than the less spiffy Priuses: Higher coefficient of drag, and higher weight.

Although lowering the vehicle might help with drag, I'd prefer not to. I already run the front-end into steep driveways a bit too often.

Are there other changes that reasonably lower drag?

To lower weight, one of the first considerations is the wheels. Obviously magnesium wheels could help, although I worry some about bending during Minnesota washboard and pothole season. Magnesium wheels can't be "unbent."

Are there other modifications that reasonably lower vehicle weight?

Thanks much.

·
Registered
688 Posts
There are little things that you could do to reduce weight like removing things from the car. However, in my opinion the benefit would be negligible. Say you increased your mpg from 45 to 50. If you drive 15,000 miles per year, and assuming gas is $2.50 per gallon, you would save a grand total of $83 per year. Hardly worth stripping your car down to me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Although mileage is great to increase, I'm really thinking of performance. Even in "Sport" mode, the car could use any bit of help available. ;^)

Hence thoughts toward weight and drag. There isn't much that can be done beyond air intake that can help on the power side of things ...

·
Registered
688 Posts
The air intake doesn't do anything noticeable for power, trust me I have it. It has a really nice sound though, so I am happy with the upgrade.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts