Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious to see what wax - and method - most of you are using to wax your CT. I wash my car almost weekly - depending on the weather - and it's been 6 months since my CT was built, so I'm wanting to invest some (more) money time in a good wax to keep the painted surfaces protected. (I also think that it would be interesting to hear (what wax and how you apply it) from some of you CT owners that do NOT live in the United States wax your vehicles)

1. Which wax - and why?
a. Type of wax
b. Brand of wax

2. Which method - and why
by *method*, I mean:
a. By hand?
b. By buffer?
- single head random oribtal
- twin head (like a Cyclo) random orbital?
- direct drive (non-random orbital)

3. Frequency?

·
Registered
842 Posts
Your best bet is to go to a website that specializes in detailing. Here you are going to get purely subjective posts that swear by the "wax" they use. There is no doubt that polymers last far longer than "wax" and are much easier to apply, so most modern "waxes" are not wax at all, but there are lots of good products around.

In my opinion (and it is just that), Zaino is as good as it gets, I just don't like a product that you have to mail order because I am not that organized and I find that I run out and feel better knowing I can go the two miles to the auto parts store and buy another bottle of Meguiars Ultimate or NeXt generation wax to finish what I started.

I have tried: Zaino, Ice (made by turtle wax), NuFinish, NanoWax, Mothers, Meguiars (several types, the cleaning wax works well for some problems but the advanced polymers work best, again IMO), and a couple of VERY expensive products that worked about as well as most of these.

Zaino works the best. Besides Sal Zaino answers the phone in Jersey and gives advice. It has several products that are excellent. Ice is really easy to put on.

All the polymers go on and come off so easily that the Porter Cable random orbital buffer that I have sits in my garage unused. And the guy I bought it from sold it cheap to me because he discovered the same thing. Using a buffer is (IMO) a waste of time and electricity.

I have a habit of washing my car whenever it gets dirty, but even if it isn't all that dirty, about once a week. About every other week I do the hood or back and the top. It takes me about 10 or maybe 15 minutes to apply and remove from the parts that seem to me to need the protection the most. I do the sides and lower body about every two months. Works for me.

The key is that certain "waxes" have different looks. It isn't like you are spending hundreds of dollars on them (unless you are a complete stooge and buy into the $100 myths) so buy two or three different kinds and see which kind gives you the look you like. Then go with it, but not so much that you don't experiment every once in a while, you might find something you like better.

Here are some websites that might help, but be aware that all of them are selling something so you have to read between the lines:

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/how-to-choose-wax-or-sealant.html

http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=TIPS&Store_Code=Z

http://www.meguiars.com/en/product-advisor/

·
Registered
352 Posts
I wouldn't use a buffer or orbital unit unless you know what you are doing, it could do some permanent damage if you are inexperince.

There was also another thread here that touched on this very subject if you search.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've used Meguiars for years with excellent results. Irrespective of the brand and type of wax, I favor waxing by hand for the reason KKM states.

232 Posts
Einszett Glanz Wax

Do not use orbital buffer to apply wax on your new Lexus paint. You will simply ruin it. Orbital buffers are used to restore the luster on a dull and oxydised paint. Apply wax by hand, do a small area at time, i.e. fender, doors, quarter panel, hood, etc.. Polish it using soft cloth, using long strokes parallel to the ground, not in circular motion to minimize streaking when looking under sun. Fold your cloth in fourfold, use the palm of your hand as pressure area, not your finger tips. Always wash your car first. Normally, to wash car I use Zymöl detergent; to remove wax I use Tide which is a corn husk based detergent. To wax car I use Glanz Wax by Einszette; to remove scratches I use High Gloss Polish also by Einszette. Go to their website for product description and chemical formulation 1z einszett Premium Car Wax, Car Care Products, Automotive Reconditioning Products. Another good wax is Meguiar's carnaúba formulated wax. I would not apply any sealants, one application treatment with claims of lifetime protection and specially spray waxes which are all popular items that many Lexus dealers will push for you to buy. I prefer hand wash over machine car wash. Wash/hose your car with a back and forth direction, and always go from bottom upwards in order to minimize streaking. And wash/wax your beloved CT in shade in order to preserve the high gloss luster finish of your Lexus.

You don't have to wax your car every time you wash it. Wax it when water droplets stop to bead. When applying new coat of wax, try to remove the old one first.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Everyone has their own opinion but here goes mine................

Rule #1 the car shampoo has to be of good quality otherwise it will strip whatever wax you have on the surface, by good quality I mean PH7.

Be carefully with the sponges/microfibers etc that you use on the surface 90% of the swirl marks we induce into the paint by using the wrong type of tools.

I like Syntetic Polymers, Carnauba has a low melting point and in some cases will just melt or burn off the surface in direct hot sunlight. Synthetic polymers have a natural tendency to cling to the surface they are applied to better than carnaubas.

The secret to a nice shine ( protection) is a solid maintenance plan and surface preparation. I will stop now before I end writing a book lol.

Sample of what I'm talking about. ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I tend to use Nufinish paste on my cars, boat etc. It may not be the glossiest but it does last most of a year. Waxing is not my thing so the less, the better.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I believe the secret to a shiny car isn't the wax (which is protection, more or less), but the polishing that goes on before it.

Personally, I use Meguiar's Wash and Wax Anywhere. It's a spray wash that you spray on, wait a few seconds for it to lift very basic dirt and dust off the body, then wipe gently in one direction. After that, you use a different clean dry microfiber to buff the area, which waxes it lightly. My car ends up looking like the ones you see in the Lexus showrooms.

It's a good alternative to washing but won't do heavily-soiled cars. Also good for spot cleaning if you keep it in the car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts