Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, this might be a silly question.

I haven't replaced the water for windscreen washers in any previous car, ever.

Well, now the water has run out on my CT :p

I read somewhere that I should use 'distilled water' and not tap water to fill it up, but can't find any purified water in the petrol station. The attendant said that he just used tap water, and it doesn't really matter.

What are your thoughts?
Tags: latest ringtone and zedge ringtone or popular ringtone

·
Registered
5 Posts
For Windscreen wiper fluid you can use just tap water. But be warned although minimal and minute, using standard soap or car wash fluid added to the water it is not good for the rubber seals around the windscreen. If you want it soapy it is advisable to use car windscreen washer soap. (bought at any automotive store)

I think your thinking of the battery when it comes to distilled water.
best ring tones, message ringtones, instrumental ringtones

·
Registered
340 Posts
I've always used for years de ionised water(same as distilled). All I do is boil a kettle of water and let it cool. There you have it distilled water. I've used it in cooling systems,batteries and washer bottles and never had any bother. Just add a 50/50 mix of washer fluid with the water in your washer bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've always used for years de ionised water(same as distilled). All I do is boil a kettle of water and let it cool. There you have it distilled water. I've used it in cooling systems,batteries and washer bottles and never had any bother. Just add a 50/50 mix of washer fluid with the water in your washer bottle.
Uhhh.. what you are doing isn't creating deionized or distilled. Distilled is made by boiling and capturing only the steam to condense it back into water. Simply boiling may reduce any chlorine and kill off bacteria, but it also concentrates minerals and salts because those don't turn into steam, so boiled water is perhaps less pure than before. But I don't think boiled water is harmful to the washer system because even tap water should work OK, or as you say a "50/50 mix".

·
Registered
340 Posts
In the 30 odd years I've been doing this I've never had any problems with batteries etc. It's always good to put a softer water in the cooling system (here in the U.K.).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Never use tap water man. Tap water has a lot of calcium in it that will build up and clog it. Thats why it's never recommended to use tap for irons. Use filtered water such as reverse osmosis is fine too.

·
381 Posts
Why not just use a proper windshield washing fluid?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Why not just use a proper windshield washing fluid?
Makes sense. But most commercial fluids use an antifreeze component as well as other cleaning detergents which is harsh on paint and rubber.

A lot depends on where you live and how to use your car. Some areas have little to no calcium in their tap water, some have a lot. I live in an area that never freezes, so I don't need to worry about antifreeze, other areas definitely need to have it. Some people prefer not to have anything toxic around the house that their children might access.

My cars have the original liquid from the dealership... but I seldom drive in the rain or snow and can't remember the last time I used the washer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts