Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So today I washed the car for the first time (took it to a car wash the first time) and noticed what appears to be condensation on the edges of the rear tailights. Not sure if it is actual condensation building up inside the rear tailights or if its just water/condensation behind the edges (that might be outside of the actual assembly?). I looked at it closely and I can see a gap where the clear plastic meets the black plastic (back assembly) on the entire rear tailight assembly... from corner to corner... I think this is where the water is getting in but it appears to only be reaching the edges as you can see in the photos. It is on both tailights and on both parts...

Anyone else notice this on their car??? Is this normal?????

·
Registered
164 Posts
I am pretty sure that's just on the edges the lights look ok.

When I washed mine manually with a washer I noticed water running along the lights and thought that's not good but when I looked closer it was just the edges very much in the same place as you can see what looks like condensation in your photos so i would say you are ok.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am pretty sure that's just on the edges the lights look ok.

When I washed mine manually with a washer I noticed water running along the lights and thought that's not good but when I looked closer it was just the edges very much in the same place as you can see what looks like condensation in your photos so i would say you are ok.
I do not understand why Lexus would design the lights this way, allowing water to get into the edges? Makes no sense.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Had a closer look at them the water is not in the lights they just have a rim around them as part of the molding and the water goes behind, strange but I guess won't do any harm as once you drive it will blow out.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Me too! I noticed that when I first washed the car and freaked out.
I realized shortly after that the water is not inside the lights as well. However, I'm not comfortable at the fact there is a possibility of build up (dust/dirt), and...I have no clue how that part can ever be cleaned out.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Me too! I noticed that when I first washed the car and freaked out.
I realized shortly after that the water is not inside the lights as well. However, I'm not comfortable at the fact there is a possibility of build up (dust/dirt), and...I have no clue how that part can ever be cleaned out.
I know the condensation/water is not actually INSIDE the housing, rather on the edge of the housing that seems to be separate from the inside of the housing. But it makes no sense for Lexus to design it this way? Why would they want condensation/water to even get into the edge of the housing? Looks bad IMHO...

So this is normal on all CTs?

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
I have no idea why it was designed this way. Just like how the passenger side door handle trim comes out so easily. Fortunately, it looks like there's a gasket that surrounds the edge of the headlamp housing and that's what seals it out from the condensation. I've noticed some water that does get caught in the edge.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts