Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still waiting on my used ct200h to be delivered from Calgary...apparently by train but I would assume they are pushing it here.

If you warm up your car on a cold canadian morning, will it just run off the battery or will it have to kick over to fuel? Just curious....

·
Registered
688 Posts
The ICE always starts when you start the car unless you press the EV mode button, which only works in certain conditions (like when the engine is already warmed up).

·
Registered
842 Posts
The ICE always starts when you start the car unless you press the EV mode button, which only works in certain conditions (like when the engine is already warmed up).
I don't think that is true, although it might be true in Canada. If the ambient temperature is high enough and it hasn't been long enough for the engine to have cooled down to a temperature where the computer thinks the engine needs to warm up, the engine doesn't have to start. I have many times started up my car and glided away with no engine start until the battery needed charging even after several hours of sitting.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've been through two winters in eastern Ontario with my CT. Having a block heater (and remembering to plug it in) helps in shortening the time that the ICE runs w/o shutting down, as does not turning on the cabin heat for 15 minutes or so. Just like a regular gas burner then, but the car trains you to want to save every drop of gas... The not-so-great cold weather mileage is made up in the summer when the A/C appears to have little or no mileage penalty, so don't despair of the mileage when you first drive it in the winter.

·
Registered
688 Posts
If the ambient temperature is high enough and it hasn't been long enough for the engine to have cooled down to a temperature where the computer thinks the engine needs to warm up, the engine doesn't have to start.
Hmmm, actually I'm not sure about that now. I guess to test this I would have to do a relatively long drive where the engine is 100% warmed up followed by a short off period followed by another trip. Seems to me like my car always turns the engine on after that initial 20 seconds or so, even if it then shuts it back off again after a very short period (30 seconds) unless you press the EV mode button when keeps the car from doing that.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've been through two winters in eastern Ontario with my CT. Having a block heater (and remembering to plug it in) helps in shortening the time that the ICE runs w/o shutting down, as does not turning on the cabin heat for 15 minutes or so. Just like a regular gas burner then, but the car trains you to want to save every drop of gas... The not-so-great cold weather mileage is made up in the summer when the A/C appears to have little or no mileage penalty, so don't despair of the mileage when you first drive it in the winter.
I got my CT at the end of September, so this is my first winter with the car. Compared to the 2006 Prius and 2010 HS250h I owned previously, the ICE in the CT reaches normal operating temperature noticeably more quickly. Even so, short trips in low temperatures do have quite a negative effect on fuel economy.

I've been recording my fuel ups at Fuelly.com. If you go to My F Sport (Lexus CT200h) | Fuelly and scroll down to the last graph the trend of increased fuel consumption is readily apparent. :(

·
Registered
414 Posts
Mine is garaged, and every day when I first take it out it will start up without the ICE running, but within 10 secs it starts up. Of course with the temps around 0 Celsius and lower, I always have the climate system on. Not much you can do when temps drop.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Mine is garaged, and every day when I first take it out it will start up without the ICE running, but within 10 secs it starts up.
So Joe166 is correct. There are some instances where the engine doesn't turn on, but only if the engine is at peak temperature already. I drove 40 min, then stopped to fill up for gas. Then I was able to drive out of the parking lot for a while on electric only without the EV mode button. If the engine isn't warm, it will turn on, even if you only plan on moving the car down the driveway. That is annoying.

·
Registered
441 Posts
So Joe166 is correct. There are some instances where the engine doesn't turn on, but only if the engine is at peak temperature already. I drove 40 min, then stopped to fill up for gas. Then I was able to drive out of the parking lot for a while on electric only without the EV mode button. If the engine isn't warm, it will turn on, even if you only plan on moving the car down the driveway. That is annoying.
Wouldn't EV mode enable you to move the car down the driveway (if it is charged up)?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Nope. It cannot read your mind so will turn on the cold engine after a few seconds so it's ready if you decide to use it. The EV button is, mostly, a gimmick. The car will still do what it wants. I think of it as a suggestion button. Nothing more.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is what I thought for quite a while too, but it's wrong. If you press the EV button within the first 10 seconds after starting your CT, the engine will stay off untill the battery is empty (of you push the gas pedal too hard). It doesn't matters how cold it is or how cold the engine is. However once the engine started, it will stay on untill it has reached its target temperature. This is really the most useful feature of the EV button. Was really happy about it after finding out about it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is what I thought for quite a while too, but it's wrong. If you press the EV button within the first 10 seconds after starting your CT, the engine will stay off untill the battery is empty (of you push the gas pedal too hard). It doesn't matters how cold it is or how cold the engine is. However once the engine started, it will stay on untill it has reached its target temperature. This is really the most useful feature of the EV button. Was really happy about it after finding out about it.
I have found this also, just need to have a reasonably full battery for it to work. If I have arrived home in EV and I only have 2-3 bars left I get the message that EV is unavailable first thing in the morning if I press the button.

·
Registered
688 Posts
My EV mode button doesn't work like that. If the engine is cold and you press the EV mode button, the car will say "EV mode not available" in the display window. I think the manual talks about the conditions that need to be met in order for the EV mode to engage. One of them is that the engine is warmed up to a certain temperature. Another condition is that the battery is charged to a certain level. But my hybrid battery is always at like 80% when I park it due to my long daily drive, so that isn't an issue for me, it purely seems to be an engine temp thing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts