Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not the most flattering review. I think he makes some valid points about customer retention that Toyota/Lexus is shooting for. But maybe I enjoyed driving the CT because I've driven a Mazda Protege for the last 10 years and don't know any better :rolleyes:

How much does the CVT noise bug folks here? I only test drove on some moderate hills so I don't know that I'd call it a "visiting the prison dentist". Thoughts?

2011 Lexus CT200h: Slower, Heavier, Frumpier, but At Least It's a Lexus | Rumble Seat by Dan Neil - WSJ.com

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Not the most flattering review. I think he makes some valid points about customer retention that Toyota/Lexus is shooting for. But maybe I enjoyed driving the CT because I've driven a Mazda Protege for the last 10 years and don't know any better :rolleyes:

How much does the CVT noise bug folks here? I only test drove on some moderate hills so I don't know that I'd call it a "visiting the prison dentist". Thoughts?

2011 Lexus CT200h: Slower, Heavier, Frumpier, but At Least It's a Lexus | Rumble Seat by Dan Neil - WSJ.com
Just came back from New Hampshire drove the Kangamagus several times back and forth over a week.

Gas mileage varied over the week from a high of 46 to a low of 40 mpg (US) checked after each fill up.

On long continuous uphill grades the droning is a pain and lack of power for passing is a bummer.

Glad to get back to my BMW !!!!!

:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sorry but I can't help but thinking that Dan Neil is a complete idiot! Not because he doesn't really like the CT but for this line alone "To me, a car enthusiast, the CT200h feels morbidly slow. I mean, sand dunes move faster. But I'm not the buyer in question, am I" !!!!

It's like a Podiatrist showing up for your coronary bypass and saying "well, I'm not really a cardiac surgeon, so don't be too disappointed if this doesn't work out"

I suppose the absurdity would be going ahead with it as Neil did with the review!

What next a poor review of Nikon Cameras because they shatter after driving in less than a dozen 12 penny nails?!

·
Registered
16 Posts
WSJ Review

I enjoyed reading the sarcasm in review, which I thought was very fair. It reminded me about the youtube video making fun of all the iphone buyers. After reading the review, I am even more sure I put the deposit down on the right car....approaching the 4 month mark and still waiting!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I enjoyed reading the sarcasm in review, which I thought was very fair.
Not to harp on it too much but whats "fair" about bashing a car because it doesn't do what wasn't designed to do? Isn't that a bit like slagging a Mclaren SLR because its gets rather poor fuel mileage? I mean, sure you can mention the poor fuel mileage but to rail on about it over and over would make someone sound like an utter fool. Its a performance based car for folks who don't really care about mileage. Dan Neil does the same thing in reverse for his review of the CT.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Given that Neil admitted to being a "car enthusiast" who probably has a passion for sub 7-second 0 to 60 times and a variable revving motor with noticeable tranny shifts, I thought it was a fair and well written piece. (I enjoy mild sarcasm.)

But acceleration is relative. I would wager that Neil was either in a crib or yet-to-be-conceived back in the '60s when Detroit's so-called "muscle cars" made their debut. My then-new '66 Chevelle SS with a 325 hp 396 cubic inch motor and "4 on the floor" was only 2 1/2 seconds faster from zero to 60 than my CT200h (8 seconds vs. 10.4). And my '09 Lexus ES350 with its 272 hp V-6 — which no one would call a hot rod — is 1 1/2 seconds faster than my SS was from 0 to 60 (6.5 seconds vs. 8). That shows how acceleration times and perceptions have changed over the years. Back in the '60s, anything that could scoot from 0 to 60 in 8 seconds or better was considered fast.

I bought my CT for what it was, not for what it wasn't. I didn't purchase it with the intent of winning any drag races. Even so, it gives the impression of being quick when in the Power Mode. And that's sufficient for me when I get bored with the other modes.

With what seemed like the possibility of $5/gallon gas this past spring, I decided to go with something that would yield 40+ mpg and more than the 300-mile range that was possible with my other rides. Fortunately, the one CT my Lexus dealer had in stock last March appealed to my eye, and after a test drive on surface streets and a 10 mile sprint down the freeway, I got out my checkbook and haven't looked back. Having said that, the CT would not be my car of choice if I needed to take a long trip unless gas does hit that $5/gallon mark, which it still may in the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks to all for your comments. I'm taking delivery of my CT 200h Premium (Starfire Pearl with Ecru Nuluxe interior) here in Salt Lake City, Utah. Very excited. Only had to wait 3 weeks and 5 days after placing my order!
Will post pics soon!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.