Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone read Dan Neil's review (July 9th) in the Wall Street Journal? It totally slams the CT200h! My car is expected to arrive tomorrow or Thursday and the review has given me cause for concern. The comment that is particularly concerning is: "There are only a few things about the CT that I think would transcend potential buyers' automative indifference. The first is the sound of the car under acceleration on the highway: a long, loud and piteous moan as the CVT holds the rpm until the car reaches the desired speed. This car sounds like it's visiting the prison dentist, Believe me: You're going to notice that."
Owners - please let me know what your experience has been like driving on the freeway.

Thank you!

·
Registered
516 Posts
That guy is an idiot. I love my car---PERIOD! First off, it's a CVT transmission so it's going to hold steady until you let off the gas pedal under heavy acceleration. I used to have an Audi A6 with the CVT transmission---think it was the first year of CVT---it was an 02' 3.0. Basically, with a CVT (continuously variable transmission), there are no gears or actually, it is kind of like infinite gears because you don't get a jerky feeling when it shifts...in fact, you should never feel it shift. My Audi, although much quicker off the line than the CT200h, would get up to a highway speed and you'd keep waiting to feel it shift but it never does. The main difference with the CT200h is that is doesn't have the same amount of horsepower but same idea how it works. I drive about 60 miles roundtrip to work each day (M-F)...I filled my car up last on July 1st ($31.80)...just filled it up again today with $32.00---thats 12 days on a little over $30. If you are looking for a fast car off the line--this isn't your car. Although, it isn't much slower than my big SUV was (Buick Enclave). I drove city streets on the way home so a lot of stop and go. Just going by the instantaneous average of MPG, I looked when I arrived home (and it does reset after the gas fillup) and it showed 61 MPG. Now, I can't depend on that to be all the time as I usually drive some highway to work. But, when getting a CT200h, just know what it is and isn't. It is still very fun to drive and the handling is unbelievable. I don't think you will have any regrets getting the CT200h. And, just in case you do, the used market for CT's is REALLY great right now so you should be ok there too. You will LOVE the car...you'll get many smiles per gallon. I laugh (under my breath) when I am filling up my car at the gas station and there is some huge Cadillac Escalade or GMC extended cab truck next to me...these guys are looking at their gas gauge and you just know it's killing them to put about $90-$100 of gas in their truck and here I am done at $30 for 10-14 days...hope this makes you feel better about your purchase...did I mention you're going to LOVE it yet?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Has anyone read Dan Neil's review (July 9th) in the Wall Street Journal? It totally slams the CT200h! My car is expected to arrive tomorrow or Thursday and the review has given me cause for concern. The comment that is particularly concerning is: "There are only a few things about the CT that I think would transcend potential buyers' automative indifference. The first is the sound of the car under acceleration on the highway: a long, loud and piteous moan as the CVT holds the rpm until the car reaches the desired speed. This car sounds like it's visiting the prison dentist, Believe me: You're going to notice that."
Owners - please let me know what your experience has been like driving on the freeway.

Thank you!
Yes you notice the CVT when pushing the engine hard. There are also a few other noises related to electronics, braking, battery charging, road noise... It's a hybrid. You are buying it because it gets great mileage.. It's not a perfect car, but most of the time it is quiet, and very quiet when buzzing around town on the battery only. I'm not thrilled with all these noises, but so far I'm not disappointed I bought this car. I've only had it a week. Take a long test drive. Most of these guys that are giving slightly negative reviews are car buffs that like to go fast and like power. There are tons of reviews out there.. I would look at as many as you can. Try Youtube to see a good number of video reviews. If you want to go fast quickly, this is probably not the car for you or anyone else... This car is about MPG and cool styling. I bought a basic model at about $30k. When I compare it to a New Toyota Matrix equipped similarly at about $24k. I think the CT is a bargain. Better fuel mileage, better interior, great handsfree phone. better styling, 4 years roadside assistance, better warranty and other things the Matrix doesn't come with. Over 8 years, with the savings in fuel mileage related costs, the Lexus might even cost LESS... Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
245 Posts
That sort of worries me too. But as I read it, I kept thinking "is he driving the same car"?

I don't think you can go wrong with a Lexus. The time is right for a hybrid and this is the best one out there. Despite my current frustration with the ordering process, I still am a loyal Lexus owner. When you take your car in for service, you'll get it.

Please let the rest of us know what you think when you get your car. I'd love to hear your opinion.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Look, I've been driving my car two months. Came from a V8 Mustang with 300+ HP to the CT200h with it's 138HP. I WILL NOT look back. This thing can keep pace with anything out there. 80mph in this thing feels like... errr... 80mph in any car... Ignore this joker and his review.

Yes, the acceleration from 0-60 might seem like a problem, but how often do you just gun any car in a straight line and clock it up to 60mph? I've not yet found a problem off the line at a traffic light and keep pace with anyone ahead of me in the line...

Tonight at the pump, I put in 7 gallons, had about 1/4 tank left before the fill up. Got back into the car and it said I had a range of 430miles and my average MPG on the way home was 51.5 with my overall average being 44.3mpg.

This car's not for everyone, but of all the cars I've driven in my life thus far, it's by far the best balanced, apportioned and nimble for the price.

I grew up in the U.K. I'm used to smaller cars, hatchbacks and much less power than v8 5-liter things... When I moved to the US 20+ years ago, I went big car, big engine because gas was $1/gallon and I just could, but now I've hit my mid-life, I'm come back down to reality, along with much higher gas prices...

When I go back to the UK, if I rent a BIG car, I'm usually only getting a 2 liter engine, and typically I rent a compact or sub compact that has a 1.2 or 1.4 liter engine... It does the job...

I say all this to really sum it up like this:

Performance comes in two flavors, 0-60 times or MPG efficiency... I've elected to go MPG... Adding a touch of Lexus just makes it better....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lovin' my new ct200h in Starfire Pearl

This evening I drove home my beautiful new Lexus. Thinking of naming her.......Lu Lu!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Congrats Deborahdiane!!! Glad you made the swap.... welcome to the darker side of green....

·
Registered
200 Posts

Thank you!
Dont' let that unfair review scare you off. I have driven my CT200h up and down I-95 from D.C. to Philadelphia several times. You can accelerate without a problem and the Sport mode is there for an extra punch if you need it. Yeah route I-70 through Colorado would be tough but unless you are in a very mountainous area I do not think you will notice a power problem.
The car does whine a bit if you are trying to get up to 70 mph but then the motor quiets down when cruising.
Is it a high end sports car, of course not. You are not buying it for that purpose. Otherwise you'd be in BMW or something else.
After 4 months of having my car I think it is great. My best feeling is getting 400 miles per tank on just over 8 gallons of gas.
The CT200h is a good looking car with a great balance of fuel economy and styling in my book.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts