Lexus CT200h Forums banner

Vinyl wrapped grill piece (chrome piece)

8K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  pomexcan 
#1 ·
I'm not a big fan of the chrome strip above the grill on the front of the CT, so I contacted a local shop to see if they could wrap this piece with either a photo / printed vinyl or another material. Well, they were able to source some vinyl/laminate that is actually painted and here are the results of the experiment.

The color match is very good and whether it lasts 6 months or a couple of years - I'm pleased with the results. Keep in mind, my car is dirty and has a few bug parts on the hood and bumper...

I know there is an OE part that is this exact piece and is color matched, but for the price it seemed like a worth while $40 effort. I'm still on the fence re: a satin black roof.

#2 ·
looks like a pretty good color match. they did a pretty good job.

i like the bumper plugs, too, they look like they fit nice and flush. i would like to do the same, but i was pulled over and ticketed too often without front license plates so much in the past, i decided to just keep the front plate on and not be bothered by law enforcement.

wrap the roof satin black! i'm sure it would look really nice.

#3 ·
I imagine this is the look you are going for with the satin black roof?

I think it'd look cool with gloss black to achieve this look. And, like the pic, I think gloss black on that grille piece would match the looks.

I think it'd look great on a white car.

#4 ·
Interesting approach to changing the color of that. At least you can take the overlay off it it gets botched up. I painted my G35 front OEM chrome grill satin black (not the logo though) and it came out awesome. Only trouble is, it didn't stand the test of time with all of the road debris/rock chips!

Regarding the black roof, I'm contemplating doing that too. There's a member on here with a white CT who already did that (he has pics posted too). Let me know if you can't find that.

#5 ·
Thanks - Here's the thread: http://www.ct200hforum.com/forum/new-member-introductions/117941-new-owner-here.html

That's what has me on the fence. It looks great from different angles, but since where the front windshield pillar meets the roof does not make a straight line to the back of the car like it does on the the ES, or the civic and VW pictured above - I'm not 100% sold. It just looks weird to me to have that curve/angle as it transitions from the windshield to the roof.

BTW, the bumper plugs do stick out a tiny bit on the top b/c the bumper starts to curve back some - but it's not really noticeable until you are less than a foot away.

#6 ·
Ahh, I see your point, never noticed that (A pillar not lining up). Maybe with a darker color car it won't be as noticeable?

#7 ·
It might depend on whether you go satin/matte vs. gloss. I think I'm going to skip the roof for the summer and decide in the fall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.