Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I really like both, is hard to choose which one is better
I wish to keep my car for number of years and
And hope to save some gas in a average 100km/day commute.
what are the reason I should choose ct200h?*
Veloster tech auto vs CT200h cvt which one I should choose?
Is it worth to pay much more upfront to get a hybrid car to save some gas???
Ia hybrid reliable to drive over the years.
Confused.

·
Registered
391 Posts
For me it would be mostly that the Veloster looks like a Hot Wheels car. To my eye, I wouldn't enjoy having to get in it and drive away everyday just on a visual basis. So it would be a NO go for me on that alone. Same reason many of us didn't buy a Prius and were waiting for something similar, but with good looks.

If the $$ is an issue, then I can see selecting options other than the CT.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The way I see it, you probably won't really re-coup the additional up-front costs of a hybrid from your current car (or even your other choice of car), unless you currently drive a old SUV (like my Expedition getting ~ 10-14 mpg).

Also, personally, I'm not a middle of the road type of guy. I either cheap out or go all out. My last car before my CT was a used Yaris hatchback with manual roll down windows and a manual transmission. The car before that was a fully decked out EVO IX with leather Recaro seats.

Test drive them both. Then come back and test drive them both again and again (if you have to). Buy whichever you like more.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think you're going to get some biased replys here. When the Veloster was introduced I considered it, but never drove it. The Veloster doesn't have 4 doors, so that's something to consider. The CT200h and the Veloster have similar performance figures, but the CT200h gets 10mpg more (for $10000 more dollars). That being said, I chose the CT200h for the looks, the badge, the fuel economy and the reliability fit and finish of a Toyota/Lexus product. The hybrid powertrain in the CT is the same as the Prius, which are used as taxis most places I've been recently. In other words the reliability is excellent. The more you drive the more the extra $5000 cost of a hybrid system is worth over conventional gasoline power. If you're driving 100km/day, and keep it for 8-10 years, I think it's worth the extra money. But like a previous posted said, it really depends on the fuel economy of your current car and how soon it will need to be replaced to see if a new $30000 car is a good idea.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Our final two choices came down to the veloster and ct200. My wife and I love the looks of both but the ct200 drives and rides much much better. Our humble opinion, of course.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Hold the phone - I've checked the Veloster out. OH MY GOD! It's got cup holders in the rear seat! Trade-in the CT - this is bigger than the Fourth of July! Apart from the cup holders, I suppose it comes down to a choice between the Veloster or something nice.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you'regoing to get a Veloster, better get the turbo or you'll wind up withless power that a ct for about 10 mpg less than a ct. (With the turbo, you'll just get the 10 mpg less).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The way I see it, you probably won't really re-coup the additional up-front costs of a hybrid from your current car (or even your other choice of car), unless you currently drive a old SUV (like my Expedition getting ~ 10-14 mpg).

Also, personally, I'm not a middle of the road type of guy. I either cheap out or go all out. My last car before my CT was a used Yaris hatchback with manual roll down windows and a manual transmission. The car before that was a fully decked out EVO IX with leather Recaro seats.

Test drive them both. Then come back and test drive them both again and again (if you have to). Buy whichever you like more.
Hi tk1971
I had an accident 2 weeks ago and my golf is totalled. Like you said I rather cheap out or go all out.
I never test drive any of them yet, but I will sure go to the dealership and do a test drive to see which one fits me more.
people around me keep saying that the car is not worth the price and I should get something better.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hold the phone - I've checked the Veloster out. OH MY GOD! It's got cup holders in the rear seat! Trade-in the CT - this is bigger than the Fourth of July! Apart from the cup holders, I suppose it comes down to a choice between the Veloster or something nice.
Haha..... Cup Holder in the reat seat and bigger trunk space... and bigger rims and tires, better value with navi package..
and I got something from the net. not sure is the right source.

http://www.zeperfs.com/en/duel4040-3891.htm
http://www.zeperfs.com/en/match3891-4040.htm

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Our final two choices came down to the veloster and ct200. My wife and I love the looks of both but the ct200 drives and rides much much better. Our humble opinion, of course.
Michael and Kay, did you get the CT yet? My Husband didn't like the CT at first, because he said it is not a good performance car (no power) but the interior cabin are comfortable to drive and fuel efficient cars.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi tk1971
I had an accident 2 weeks ago and my golf is totalled. Like you said I rather cheap out or go all out.
I never test drive any of them yet, but I will sure go to the dealership and do a test drive to see which one fits me more.
people around me keep saying that the car is not worth the price and I should get something better.
IMO, there are not that many cars out there that are "worth the price". And I lump ALL "luxury" brands in the category of "Not worth the price", including my own CT200h. I mean, if you look at it... it's just a Prius (same motor/transmission) in prettier clothes with a $5k-$8k increase in price.

Having said that, I consider my wife's Prius C to be absolutely worth the price (even at full MSRP). We paid $22k (and change) out the door for a base One model that has a slightly scaled down Prius drive train, but still have: insane mpg w/ surprisingly acceptable 0-30 acceleration, side mirror turn signal indicators, tilt / telescopic steering wheel with radio/phone/display controls, digital displays, projection headlights, blue tooth phone / audio / USB connectivity, auto door locks/windows/mirrors, and keyless entry.

One of the things that attracted me to a hybrid is the fact that there will be no smog checks (ever), and the other thing is the maintenance. No belts, chains, power steering pumps, etc. Plus the regenerative brakes means that the brake pads should theoretically last forever too. Maintenance items are now limited to oil changes, tires, CV boots and maybe shocks/struts.

The high MPG meant going from getting gas once every 3 days or so to only once a week. I have very little free time, and this is a big plus. As far as power and acceleration goes... I had a EVO IX and to be quite honest, I've never even had a chance to floor it. It's hard to floor it when stuck in traffic. What a waste.

I still ended up with my CT because logic has nothing to do with me hating the way the regular Prius looked. And I can't really get the same car (Prius C) as my wife because that would be one of those "all eggs in one basket" deals.

I wanted high MPG and less maintenance. After test driving the CT and looking at it in person, that's what I got.

Go online and compare all the cars in your general category and then go test drive them all. Use logic to narrow down your choices with specifications, options and pricing, but go test drive them all (see them in person) and use your emotional side to make your final decision. All that matters is that you are happy with your choice.

Good luck.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I still don't get the beefs about the CT's performance. Acceleration runs are one thing, but on the road, especially overtaking in Sport Mode, the car becomes quite quick. I think the lack of any gear change (either by the driver or the transmission) often saves a second or two. Certainly, on our (Australian) less than perfect highways and regional roads, the combination of performance, handling and braking makes the CT a rapid little machine point to point, plus comfort, economy and most of all F-U-N.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
I really like both, is hard to choose which one is better
I wish to keep my car for number of years and
And hope to save some gas in a average 100km/day commute.
what are the reason I should choose ct200h?*
Veloster tech auto vs CT200h cvt which one I should choose?
Is it worth to pay much more upfront to get a hybrid car to save some gas???
Ia hybrid reliable to drive over the years.
Confused.
Get the Focus ST much better car than Veloster turbo; CT200h higher quality, quieter, slower, no manual shift. Depneds on your metrics, i.e. what factors are most important.

And contray to most folks opinion, gas mileage is only one factor, not the only one in total cost. If cost savings is your primary metric then none of the choices are the best.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I still don't get the beefs about the CT's performance. Acceleration runs are one thing, but on the road, especially overtaking in Sport Mode, the car becomes quite quick. I think the lack of any gear change (either by the driver or the transmission) often saves a second or two. Certainly, on our (Australian) less than perfect highways and regional roads, the combination of performance, handling and braking makes the CT a rapid little machine point to point, plus comfort, economy and most of all F-U-N.
Performance is usually not a big deal when driving in constant speed. It does matter when you are trying to get up to speed to merge on to the freeway, or try to get out of a tight spot. I don't know how people drive in Australia, but here in California, it is a race. For some reasons, people don't want you to merge to change lane. In order to get on to the freeway, you have to go from 0 to 65 and merge or you will be push to right. CA drivers are not nice people. New drivers found out that if you signal to turn too early, you will never get to change lane. People see you signal, they actually speed up so you don't pull in front of them. Many of my coworker won't buy hybrid because they think they are too slow and therefore not safe.

For me, I think the CT is fast enough for a single driver. If there are 4 adults who weight 200 lb each in the car, it really slows down. Merging into traffic becomes "I hope the other car will slow down".

·
Registered
441 Posts
Performance is usually not a big deal when driving in constant speed. It does matter when you are trying to get up to speed to merge on to the freeway, or try to get out of a tight spot. I don't know how people drive in Australia, but here in California, it is a race. For some reasons, people don't want you to merge to change lane. In order to get on to the freeway, you have to go from 0 to 65 and merge or you will be push to right. CA drivers are not nice people. New drivers found out that if you signal to turn too early, you will never get to change lane. People see you signal, they actually speed up so you don't pull in front of them. Many of my coworker won't buy hybrid because they think they are too slow and therefore not safe.

For me, I think the CT is fast enough for a single driver. If there are 4 adults who weight 200 lb each in the car, it really slows down. Merging into traffic becomes "I hope the other car will slow down".
Gosh, you Americans are funny people. At least you keep us all amused (and scared to death the rest of the time).

·
Registered
609 Posts
Gosh, you Americans are funny people. At least you keep us all amused (and scared to death the rest of the time).
I am on vacation in Mexico right now and apparently here stop (ALTO) signs are just suggestions! I have not seen a single car actually stopped yet. And I read on forum that if you stop, you are likely to get rear ended. :p

I am really missing my CT here. :p

·
Registered
441 Posts
A traffic policeman stopped me just the other side of an intersection and said I hadn't stopped at the STOP sign. I said, "But Officer, it was a rolling stop". He let me off, but suggested that the general idea was that your wheels stopped turning.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I never understood the talk of "power" or acceration from people who are intrested in fuel economy in a hybrid forum. lol

I looked at a Veloster, but....to me its quite hideous the rear especially. I could never look at that vehicle and be happy of my purchase compared to other cars that are out. Suibjectivly speaking of course, i rather a VW or a Audi if i wasnt going to do my CT.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts