Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(or whatever they are called)

I didn't even think of this from all the excitement until a couple days ago... When I took delivery of my vehicle, the salesman did not hand over that little vehicle key plate/tag thing over to me. He took it off as he was shoving the keys into the leather pouch (and even kept the envelope the key was attached to). I'm going to ask for it when I visit their service center this weekend, but I have this feeling I'll have to fight for it. I have this feeling they are going to justify their reasons for keeping it, but in the end I'm going to get it back ("cuz it's mine!").

I've had these tags on every vehicle I've owned, and people always say "It's very important you never lose this", but...I always forget to provide them to who I sell the vehicle to (like recently). So my question is...Is it that important to physically have that little tag in your possession? In the event you lose a key, can't you simply have the number/characters written down somewhere or another working key in your possession (along with all the documents as the owner, of course)?

·
Registered
19 Posts
My key tag was placed into a pouch in my manual cover and handed to me explicitly with the directions to not lose it. I'm sure they'll give them to you on request, there's no good reason for them to keep it, is there?

·
Registered
115 Posts
probably their way of making sure you come back to that dealership for any servicing. my guess is that any lexus dealership should be able to get the info needed from your VIN, but that is conjecture (no dealership ever told me that).

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm pretty sure in my dealership's experience, they've had a lot of "I lost my key, but I can't find that little tag anywhere". So, the dealer is probably thinking keeping it is for our own good.

But, I'd still like to know...is it the end of the world if you don't have it? Dealerships I've traded my vehicle to never bother to ask for it or worry about it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
As pharm above says, I think I remember my guy saying any Lexus dealer could get it off the VIN, the key just speeds things up a little, or maybe going through a non-Lexus place (although why you would ever do that for a key issue I don't know).

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a key made by a dealer in Texas (I'm in Florida) - I just provided the VIN and a copy of my driver's license. The key came in the mail 3 days later.

Reason I did this is I got that "Card Key" thing that fits in my wallet. It has a small key in it. This way I don't have a key fob to loose - just my wallet :)

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
I didn't get a key plate. Do those even exist for the CT 200h?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, they do exist. Got a hold of my salesman last night. He "found" it...insisted on keeping it for our own 'safety and protection'. I declined and told him I want back, so I'll be heading over to pick it up this weekend.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yes - i got one with my keyfob. my dealer told me to make sure i don't lose it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My salesman told me they keep it - for safe keeping - but if I want it I can have it no problem. I figured they can keep it for me as I just found the ones for my old truck - that I traded in 3 months ago so it can't be the end of the world of you dont have it. Maybe it is for non Lexus dealers or a locksmith so they could make a key for you in a hurry if you lose it?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I want a new key fob cover - can someone please post a link for where to find one? I tried searching but wasn't too successful. Thanks!
I got two leather fob covers when I bought the car. Neither of them even remotely match the fob. The holes don't line up with the buttons.

I just figured the car was too new to have accurate fob covers. Are you guys telling me you covers match your fobs?

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
I got two leather fob covers when I bought the car.
Me too. I didn't think I would end up using them, but then put one on and think it will do a good job at protecting the FOB.

Neither of them even remotely match the fob. The holes don't line up with the buttons.

I just figured the car was too new to have accurate fob covers. Are you guys telling me you covers match your fobs?
I thought that too after putting it on, but they do kind of line-up a bit and think that's just the way it was designed?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts