Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
58 Posts
rayzer17: The answer is "no" as they are, as you note, Lexus only but... if you have a cable and the Lexus Techstream software, you can do it. Do a search on that on eBay and/or Google and you will find what you need.

Daniel: No, you cannot override that easily. Well, I've not found it, anyway. Certainly not documented. There have been override boxes you can buy that will do this, but most have side effects you may not like (and I've not found one for the CT200h, yet). Also, the voice recognition is pretty good now and I have no problems with that while driving for the things I need. Have you tried those to get around the screen lockout?

· Registered
842 Posts
rayzer17: The answer is "no" as they are, as you note, Lexus only but... if you have a cable and the Lexus Techstream software, you can do it. Do a search on that on eBay and/or Google and you will find what you need.

Daniel: No, you cannot override that easily. Well, I've not found it, anyway. Certainly not documented. There have been override boxes you can buy that will do this, but most have side effects you may not like (and I've not found one for the CT200h, yet). Also, the voice recognition is pretty good now and I have no problems with that while driving for the things I need. Have you tried those to get around the screen lockout?
Prestigious Society makes an override module for the CT200. What are these "side effects" you speak of? I haven't noticed any significant ones except the price, but if I wanted cheap I would have kept my Prius.

· Registered
58 Posts
I can't speak about specific issues with any of the (now known to me) ct200h solutions as I have not tried them, but I've used similar solutions in other vehicles with varying levels of success (keep in mind I'm a perfectionist regarding such things as I'm an engineer and hate "stupidity" in electronic systems).

o When using the override, one loses accurate GPS positioning. Usually not a problem, but if one is in an area where signals are already weak, getting a new lock may take time.

o Electrical oddities: I have one vehicle where the backup camera got flaky, another where the radio/nav screen comes up blank for a while (couple of minutes) occasionally and such things. All issues stared when I put the overrides in and go away when I remove them.

o external switches annoy me. I see that there are some that can use steering wheel controls so not a big issue, now.

o These systems are detectable by at least some scanning devices dealers use. I know that in GM's case, they ask shops to look for such things, now, when electrical issues are reported under warranty and then to deny service until the override box is removed.

I find I don't need an override in the CT200h as, so far, the voice controls do everything I want to do while driving (thankfully).

· Registered
842 Posts
I will try to respond to the issues as I perceive them. Clearly not from an engineering point of view.

You do lose the GPS for the time of the override, since the car thinks it is stopped, but it only takes a couple of minutes to program in where I want to go, and frankly, if I don't know where I am going, why do I care where I am? Seriously, this is a very minor annoyance, since I am usually on the Interstate or turnpike when I decide I want to know how long it is going to take me to get somewhere.

Haven't noticed any glitches or oddities in the electrical system.

Goes on with the volume control.

If I ever had any electrical issues that I were going to take to the dealer, I would take the unit off before I got near the dealership.

Frankly, I have only used it a couple of times since I installed it, but I don't like being treated like the village idiot, particularly when I have been rear ended by a lady on the phone while in rush hour stop and go traffic, because she was "distracted". She denied even hitting me, but since her Mercedes was red and my Prius was white, it was fairly obvious. When they make people stop shaving, plucking their eyebrows, putting on makeup and holding a phone to their ear with one hand and a cigarette with the other hand (and I guess steering with some other bodily appendage), then I will gladly remove this override.

· Registered
58 Posts
I agree 100% that Lexus treats us like idiots when disabling the nav system. I won't argure that! I don't like paying $300 to fix their problem, however :) I'd say that this entire crippling of a system that's supposed to help you get where you want yet not disabling access to all of the other menus (like energy consumption which BEGS you to look at it, constantly) is just plain stupid. Lexus/Toyota has been beat up about this for years and simply doesn't care. They have some of the worst navigation systems to boot (check out the competition and see how nice/easy they are to use in comparison). Yet my wife uses navigation just about every day and having it integrated with the car and on a large screen is simply required for her. I just wish I could get her to look at something besides Lexus/Toyota. I'm really fed up with the way they treat those who spend thousands of dollars with them.

(Full disclosure... I previously had a 2004 Toyota minvan with navigation. Also an RX 300 with navigation. Before 2007 they had a "secret code" you could enter to disable the navigation override; Toyota removed that in a system/map update and we haven't seen it since. I also soldered a ground from the parking brake input signal to the nav system to allow playback of DVDs while in motion so I could set up a DVD for my kids in the back who were too young to do so.)

· Registered
371 Posts
I agree 100% that Lexus treats us like idiots when disabling the nav system. I won't argure that! I don't like paying $300 to fix their problem, however :) I'd say that this entire crippling of a system that's supposed to help you get where you want yet not disabling access to all of the other menus (like energy consumption which BEGS you to look at it, constantly) is just plain stupid. Lexus/Toyota has been beat up about this for years and simply doesn't care. They have some of the worst navigation systems to boot (check out the competition and see how nice/easy they are to use in comparison). Yet my wife uses navigation just about every day and having it integrated with the car and on a large screen is simply required for her. I just wish I could get her to look at something besides Lexus/Toyota. I'm really fed up with the way they treat those who spend thousands of dollars with them.
Oh, bsnguy you are so right on. I, too, am not happy with the navigation in the Lexus car line -- it's my number one complaint. There are other car manufactures that are so much better. Why doesn't mother Lexus listen to us? Does she know better? Thanks for voicing your opinion.

· Registered
58 Posts
... Why doesn't mother Lexus listen to us? Does she know better?
Yes she does and has for more than five years. There are people that have started entire websites about the lousy Lexus navigation systems and still Lexus/Toyota knows better what its customers want. Let's be honest; their system is not that bad... by 2005 standards. It has just not made many (any?) improvements save better voice recognition (which is only better if you study the manual and do exactly as instructed... no room for error or poor enunciation).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.