Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

On the verge of buying a CPO 2011 CT200H from a Lexus Dealership in Richmond Hill, Toronto.
Car has 102,000 km on it and the Lexus Extra Care warranty is costing me $2000 to extend it till 200,000 km. It is a comprehensive coverage including the Hybrid components.

I have to let the dealership know in the next few days and hence wanted to check with all existing owners if it would be a worthwhile investment.

Are there any known issues(electrical,mechanical) with the vehicle?
When do they usually start breaking down?

Any input will be appreciated. Pressed for time, hence not able to do much research.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Can't answer you're question because my 2011 has less than 25K on it... But, that sounds like a lot of mileage for such a new car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't answer you're question because my 2011 has less than 25K on it... But, that sounds like a lot of mileage for such a new car.
What a comparison between the 2 in terms of mileage!!! The car was purchased,serviced at a single Lexus dealership, so it checks out. But yes, I agree it is on the higher side..Thats why I raised the question.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I agree with the high mileage concern. However, as long as you have gotten the higher than normal mileage discount, it's all good. Regarding Lexus ECP, I would not be worried about the hybrid components, as they are proven reliable. Now, if you want peace of mind, I suggest you buy the Platinum ECP, as it covers almost literally everything, including the radio components, which depending on the usage, can break down. I was sucked into the comprehensive ECP by my dealership too. But mind you, they might be selling you the Gold ECP. I have Gold ECP. The Gold is, in my opinion waste of money, as it covers the components that are proven reliable. Go Platinum or don't go.

·
Registered
39 Posts
What a comparison between the 2 in terms of mileage!!! The car was purchased,serviced at a single Lexus dealership, so it checks out. But yes, I agree it is on the higher side..Thats why I raised the question.
Sorry, I was mistaken, mine is a '12. But still, I'd question such high Kms... Just be careful! :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with the high mileage concern. However, as long as you have gotten the higher than normal mileage discount, it's all good. Regarding Lexus ECP, I would not be worried about the hybrid components, as they are proven reliable. Now, if you want peace of mind, I suggest you buy the Platinum ECP, as it covers almost literally everything, including the radio components, which depending on the usage, can break down. I was sucked into the comprehensive ECP by my dealership too. But mind you, they might be selling you the Gold ECP. I have Gold ECP. The Gold is, in my opinion waste of money, as it covers the components that are proven reliable. Go Platinum or don't go.
Yes, I did get a good deal as they had just reduced the car by $2k and I was able to negotiate a little more with some accessories added.In any case, the car will still have the 2 year,40,000 powertrain warranty since it is a Lexus CPO.

·
Banned
165 Posts
In my opinion, $2,000 is not worth it. You will basically give your money away on a warranty you will never need to use. 200,000 km is 124,000 miles.
The batteries are designed to last 125,000 miles minimum so those wont even fail before the warranty expires.
A coworker just replaced the batteries on an older camry hybrid at a 3rd party shop in houston. He paid $2,500 for the battery swap with new batteries.

Also, based on experience with toyota/lexus I would doubt anything would fail or break before 150,000 miles or 240,000 km.
I would not waste any money on an extra warranty that only lasts until 124K miles (200K km) for a toyota or lexus.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In my opinion, $2,000 is not worth it. You will basically give your money away on a warranty you will never need to use. 200,000 km is 124,000 miles.
The batteries are designed to last 125,000 miles minimum so those wont even fail before the warranty expires.
A coworker just replaced the batteries on an older camry hybrid at a 3rd party shop in houston. He paid $2,500 for the battery swap with new batteries.

Also, based on experience with toyota/lexus I would doubt anything would fail or break before 150,000 miles or 240,000 km.
I would not waste any money on an extra warranty that only lasts until 124K miles (200K km) for a toyota or lexus.
That has been the general consensus so far and I think I'm going to skip on the warranty especially given its track record. But will invest in a good set of winter tires on alloy rims and Avery nano fusion film and maybe illuminated door sills.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Highest mileage CT I've seen had right at 80k mi on it, in good shape, no issues or repairs. I've seen plenty of Prius' with well over 250k miles and no mechanical or battery issues. Last time I was in Las Vegas I was in a Prius taxi with over that had over 300k miles on it. I wouldn't worry.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I bought my 2012 CT on Dec 31, 2011. I got the Lexus Platinum Extended Warranty for 125,000 miles / 6 Years for a little over $1500. Fast forward to now, I am close to 90,000 miles (I drive 30k a year). I have absolutely 0 problem with my CT. This is only car I ever drove (since the 80's) that went past 60,000 miles without something broken down. Usually something like water pump, timing belt, etc.. would go.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I turned 100,000km last weekend on my CT. Still looks and runs fantastic!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Highest mileage CT I've seen had right at 80k mi on it, in good shape, no issues or repairs. I've seen plenty of Prius' with well over 250k miles and no mechanical or battery issues. Last time I was in Las Vegas I was in a Prius taxi with over that had over 300k miles on it. I wouldn't worry.
80,000 miles is just about 130,000 kms and it is very reassuring that no one has passed any alarming info so far..I stick to my decision made collectivley from some valuable input. Thx.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bought my 2012 CT on Dec 31, 2011. I got the Lexus Platinum Extended Warranty for 125,000 miles / 6 Years for a little over $1500. Fast forward to now, I am close to 90,000 miles (I drive 30k a year). I have absolutely 0 problem with my CT. This is only car I ever drove (since the 80's) that went past 60,000 miles without something broken down. Usually something like water pump, timing belt, etc.. would go.
Impressive indeed and I just found out that it does not have any serpentine belts and nor a timing belt!!! Chanceless vehicle it seems.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Few queries if someone can chime in on Canadian model:

1. Car looses Nav and phone functionality when in motion-hugely annoying!!! Is there a way around it or a remedy?
2. Under body rust coating-Dealer said that under body shouldn't be sprayed due to hybrid system which doesn't make sense? Anyone done it?

Will also get the annoying chimes and window roll down programmed on my next complimentary visit. Other than that, loving it so far!!!

·
Banned
325 Posts
Yeah with same reason i have also a CT which is of 2011 model and its mileage is less than 25,000 miles. Actually i am a mechanic by profession so i am not driving too much due to my work.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Well, this months Consumer Reports rated the CT as the most reliable car in their category based on survey of owners since the car was introduced here in the states, so no worries with reliability.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Well, this months Consumer Reports rated the CT as the most reliable car in their category based on survey of owners since the car was introduced here in the states, so no worries with reliability.
Except this thread is about real issues. No one reads consumer reports anymore or cares about their ratings.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 19 of 19 Posts