Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into installing my kenwood double din touchscreen into my 2110 ct200h. Would this be possible without voiding the factory warranty? Also i would like to know if adding a subwoofer and amp would void the warranty at all? Thank you all for your support i would love to hear some feedback, ive been dying to know if i can do these upgrades without killing my warranty! Thank you very much!!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I would think it will void your speakers/audio warranty but not the other parts of the car since you are swapping the radio and adding amp which are original.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I would think it will void your speakers/audio warranty but not the other parts of the car since you are swapping the radio and adding amp which are original.
yes. you will void your audio / electronic portion of the warranty. others should stay in tact. like paint, wheels and all.

·
Registered
383 Posts
yes. you will void your audio / electronic portion of the warranty. others should stay in tact. like paint, wheels and all.
The correct answer is no. Manufactures cannot void a warranty just because, they have to prove that the part that was installed by you caused the failure of the warrantied part. If the product you or a shop installs causes damage to a part under warranty then the dealer has the right to void it.

Search Magnuson-Moss Act of 1975.

for too long dealers have been threating consumers they will revoke warranties if you do this and if you do that. Remember...if the part you install causes the damage then they can do it...but they can't just void it without proof.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks very much, on second thought I will just go with the sub and amp, it should sound great, havnt heard anyone with a sub in their CT, the hatchback will make it sound nice I'm hoping

·
Registered
842 Posts
The correct answer is no. Manufactures cannot void a warranty just because, they have to prove that the part that was installed by you caused the failure of the warrantied part. If the product you or a shop installs causes damage to a part under warranty then the dealer has the right to void it.

Search Magnuson-Moss Act of 1975.

for too long dealers have been threating consumers they will revoke warranties if you do this and if you do that. Remember...if the part you install causes the damage then they can do it...but they can't just void it without proof.
And in an abundance of caution, I might point out that the manufacturer probably has more than 20,000 engineers on staff with impressive resumes that will be willing to come to court to say that it WAS the thingamajig you installed that caused the entire hybrid system failure and they might be more impressive than the guy at the local stereo shop.

You are absolutely right, but it is a very risky thing to take on a manufacturer unless there is a LOT of money involved, which means either a death or maiming so you can get a lawyer with a fat pocketbook willing to front the costs. They don't usually do that for property damage or a ruined car, just for stuff that will return a lot.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Exactly. Even if you win, you lose more in court costs then the part you are trying to get the dealer to replace... What a system!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Exactly. Even if you win, you lose more in court costs then the part you are trying to get the dealer to replace... What a system!
However, the time spent trying to fight you over it would quickly outweigh the costs to actually fix the car under warranty.

Lexus won't void your warranty unless the event is catastrophically expensive and easily proven to be your fault.

This same argument has been discussed by every car-modding group since warranties have been invented. I'm guessing a dealership somewhere once tried to void a warranty and then word got around. I've heavily modded every vehicle I've ever owned and have never been threatened with a voided warranty.

·
Registered
842 Posts
However, the time spent trying to fight you over it would quickly outweigh the costs to actually fix the car under warranty.

Lexus won't void your warranty unless the event is catastrophically expensive and easily proven to be your fault.

This same argument has been discussed by every car-modding group since warranties have been invented. I'm guessing a dealership somewhere once tried to void a warranty and then word got around. I've heavily modded every vehicle I've ever owned and have never been threatened with a voided warranty.
Then you've been lucky. I have represented various manufacturers (but not for about 10 years) and I can assure you that they do it whenever they feel like it. Some are big, some are small. There are probably very few costs incurred by using in house engineers as experts and most lawyers are under retainer. I was.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts