Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello~

You may know me from such threads as CT200h saved my life and other general lurking. I have recently received a settlement offer on my premium w/nav Ultrasonic Blue CT. Unfortunately the offer isn't enough to buy the car with navigation, nor can I find an US-Blue color w/ nav in all of California at this time.

I have searched and seen the thread that states upgrading an existing Non-nav model to nav would be cost-prohibitive due to the cost of the parts. I am currently negotiating with my insurance company to let me remove the navigation system from my totaled car. (It was still functioning after the accident.)

I guess my question is; is it possible, with the recovered parts to perform the conversion? What would the technical challenge be?

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
842 Posts
Anything is possible with enough time and money, but that would be crazy. Why don't you use the extra money to have a very good sound shop install a "better" nav system (upgradeable for free for life) built in with a definitely better sound system (ours is OK, but not great). Prius owners do it all the time and they have the best of both worlds. Who are you going to go after when the car develops squeaks and creaks, which they all do at some time?

I would rather poke myself in the eye with a sharp stick than undertake this type of "improvement". But maybe that's just me.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Doable, but not trivial. You even have to make sure you pull the correct harnesses to accommodate the proper Nav/head unit signals, the correct computer plug in modules, etc. etc. Almost have to have the wreck in the driveway for parts as you install it into the new CT. Study the TIS before you even decide to do it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've started to research aftermarket systems, but I am not able to find a dash kit, the two pics I have seen either have the unit lifted slightly or they cut a notch out of the side. Has there been any movement on a more integrated look?

·
Registered
324 Posts
If you want to see some of the available CT's, go to cars.com, Input lexus and CT200h then put in 92025 for the zip code.
This gives you some of the base and premiums prices down here in SoCal. The zip is for Escondido, but brings up Carlsbad and San Diego.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Anything is possible with enough time and money, but that would be crazy. Why don't you use the extra money to have a very good sound shop install a "better" nav system (upgradeable for free for life) built in with a definitely better sound system (ours is OK, but not great). Prius owners do it all the time and they have the best of both worlds. Who are you going to go after when the car develops squeaks and creaks, which they all do at some time?

I would rather poke myself in the eye with a sharp stick than undertake this type of "improvement". But maybe that's just me.
Agreed. And it would cost far less than the $3k to $4k option that Lexus charges. My then, 2yr old $299 Tom Tom Portable works better than the factory GPS/ better interface as well that shows time of arrival, speed limits, things the factory unit doesn't even show/offer. I can use it in my other cars as well. Updating is much easier.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The factory one does show the estimate time of arrival, but no speed limits though.
Interesting to know that the factory CT200H GPS shows the estimated time of arrival. Many OEM units do not. I would have definitely considered the factory GPS if it was alot cheaper. For the $3k to $4k Lexus charges for the package, just not worth it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
And the TomTom is not exactly integrated into the car in a nice way.
I believe that's a great plus, for several reasons.

Firstly, I don't need to look at the screen when I don't want it. The TomTom only comes out when needed. Secondly, I can use a single TomTom in all of my cars. Thirdly, I can decide for myself where I want the nav screen, instead of having to accept where the maker of the car put it. fourthly, a TomTom nav is much cheaper than any built in nav and when it gets outdated, it can be easily and cheaply replaced. And most importantly, TomTom is a dedicated nav maker and therefore makes very good navs, better and more flexible than what car manufacturers generally offer. Map updates for TomTom are very affordable and come out every quarter. Lexus wants an arm and a leg for just one update a year.

·
Registered
842 Posts

Firstly, I don't need to look at the screen when I don't want it. The TomTom only comes out when needed. Secondly, I can use a single TomTom in all of my cars. Thirdly, I can decide for myself where I want the nav screen, instead of having to accept where the maker of the car put it. fourthly, a TomTom nav is much cheaper than any built in nav and when it gets outdated, it can be easily and cheaply replaced. And most importantly, TomTom is a dedicated nav maker and therefore makes very good navs, better and more flexible than what car manufacturers generally offer. Map updates for TomTom are very affordable and come out every quarter. Lexus wants an arm and a leg for just one update a year.
Don't forget the money you pump into the economy when the miscreants pop your window and remove the unit. Each time I read the local police sheets every other crime is a car break in to steal portable equipment.

I understand that the portable units are much easier and cheaper to update, but I like the relative difficulty in stealing that makes my car less of a target.

I have another car that I have a Garmin in and I appreciate it, but frankly, the nav unit in the CT200 is good enough for me. I haven't updated my Garmin in two years and haven't been sent down a dead end street yet. The most annoying thing is having to stop to program it, and I probably should do that anyway. Besides, if it annoyed me enough, I would get the hack and "fix" it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Don't forget the money you pump into the economy when the miscreants pop your window and remove the unit. Each time I read the local police sheets every other crime is a car break in to steal portable equipment.

I understand that the portable units are much easier and cheaper to update, but I like the relative difficulty in stealing that makes my car less of a target.

I have another car that I have a Garmin in and I appreciate it, but frankly, the nav unit in the CT200 is good enough for me. I haven't updated my Garmin in two years and haven't been sent down a dead end street yet. The most annoying thing is having to stop to program it, and I probably should do that anyway. Besides, if it annoyed me enough, I would get the hack and "fix" it.
I don't use the GPS all the time, when I do my unit quickly disconnects and I take it in with me, it's small/portable. Which is less of a hassle than paying the $3,445 price Lexus charges for their GPS package. Most of the people you read about with the thefts leave it in plain view on their dash, overnight, etc and not in the best areas either. If it gets stolen $100 to $300 out of pocket, you are still far ahead of the game then those that paid $3,445.

·
Registered
65 Posts

Well said, Agreed!

People don't realize that the Lexus built in nav, along with most built in systems are archaic hard drive based systems that load off and get updated via DVD's.. They don't last as long as the flash memory type systems that most portables use today.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well... Its not really about the money, if the cost was the most important part I wouldn't buy a Lexus. Maybe a Toyota Prius instead of the CT200h.

No matter where you put the TomTom its still a TomTom and its not well integrated into the dash as the stock navi is. And the navi comes with a "open/close" button, so if I dont want to look at it it folds down into the dash.

Also the resell value of a car with stock navi is way greater then; comes with "TomTom" navigation with suction cup mount.

I do however agree that TomTom is navi software is better then the stock Lexus, but the stock is good enough.

Lastly you can control your music, phone and gas milage with the stock navi. Music and phone you could get from a TomTom, but kind of a hassle if you forget your TomTom

·
Registered
169 Posts
No matter where you put the TomTom its still a TomTom and its not well integrated into the dash as the stock navi is.
I'm not into superficial looks much. I'll always choose function over form.

Also the resell value of a car with stock navi is way greater then; comes with "TomTom" navigation with suction cup mount.
I'm not much of a consumer. I tend to keep my cars for ten years or longer. Not bothered about resale value after I've had it that long.

Lastly you can control your music, phone and gas milage with the stock navi.
You can control music, phone and check mileage in a navless CT just fine. You don't need all that in one expensive single point of failure.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Well... Its not really about the money, if the cost was the most important part I wouldn't buy a Lexus. Maybe a Toyota Prius instead of the CT200h.

No matter where you put the TomTom its still a TomTom and its not well integrated into the dash as the stock navi is. And the navi comes with a "open/close" button, so if I dont want to look at it it folds down into the dash.

I do however agree that TomTom is navi software is better then the stock Lexus, but the stock is good enough.

Lastly you can control your music, phone and gas milage with the stock navi. Music and phone you could get from a TomTom, but kind of a hassle if you forget your TomTom
My exact thought! The only thing is the I actually don't even need GPS, so I would never buy a Tom Tom even if I didn't get NAV. I just thought I am buying a luxury car and it should have NAV built in. And the controller is awesome.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts