Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So many different opinions on this, it worries me.

We have a cabin in the the mountains with a very steep asphalt drive. It could be a short bunny run on the slopes. I don't have any idea what the grade is but I need to be able to navigate it in my CT.

I know a honda civic can make it. (non hybrid) Here are the specs for the year civic that regularly makes it up the hill. I know the horsepower is close but I don't see any CT info on torque.

Given the civic makes it with no problems, I assume I'll be ok ( not great, I expect it to be loud). Getting to the cabin is no problem as the incline is gradual. but I'd like some opinions. I'd hate to arrive and be stuck at the bottom. (ice is not an issue, we use the cabin as a summer getaway)

2009 Civic
Engine & Performance
Base engine size: 1.8 L
Cam type: Single overhead cam (SOHC)
Cylinders: inline 4
Valves: 16
Valve timing: Variable
Torque: 128 ft-lbs. @ 4300 rpm
Horsepower: 140 hp @ 6300 rpm
Turning circle: 35.4 ft.
Base engine type: gas

·
Premium Member
875 Posts

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
This summer my wife and I drove up Mt. Washington in New Hampshire over 6000 feet. Highest peak east of the Mississippi. Severe grade unpaved road made it no problem. Your bunny slope will not be an issue.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Our dealer (and grocery, PO, movie theater, bank, etc) is about 200 feet above sea level. We're at 4500 feet, in a rise that's less than 6 miles long of very, very twisty roads, and we go up and down 4 or 5 days/wk.

Here's a fun 1500 feet of the way.

We CAN go up in Eco mode, and it's fine. We DO go up in Sport mode. :D

To be honest, we just filled the car for the first time since buying it, so I don't have a sense of how well we're doing. It appears to be abt. 30 mpg for pedal down the whole way, a huge improvement over what we were doing before. I'll pay closer attention once we've had the car a little longer. For now, we're just enjoying the ride.

(We get much, much better mileage at the bottom of the hill, of course.)

It's an absolute gas (hahaha) to drive up the hill. My brother in law has a Porsche and he goes a little faster, but the road is the real limiter for speed, not the car. Our Lexus isn''t much slower in practice, very nearly as sporty (again, in practice on a road that just won't let you go fast), and way, way more comfortable.

Our driveway is likewise quite steep. Our Scion xB struggled, but made it fine. The CT doesn't struggle even a little. I wouldn't let this particular concern cause you any hesitation.

You should definitely shift 'er into "B" on the way down the hill, btw. BIG difference in pleasure and the feeling of control.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I would love to drive that road in mine. :D

·
Registered
324 Posts
Our dealer (and grocery, PO, movie theater, bank, etc) is about 200 feet above sea level. We're at 4500 feet, in a rise that's less than 6 miles long of very, very twisty roads, and we go up and down 4 or 5 days/wk.

Here's a fun 1500 feet of the way.

We CAN go up in Eco mode, and it's fine. We DO go up in Sport mode. :D

To be honest, we just filled the car for the first time since buying it, so I don't have a sense of how well we're doing. It appears to be abt. 30 mpg for pedal down the whole way, a huge improvement over what we were doing before. I'll pay closer attention once we've had the car a little longer. For now, we're just enjoying the ride.

(We get much, much better mileage at the bottom of the hill, of course.)

It's an absolute gas (hahaha) to drive up the hill. My brother in law has a Porsche and he goes a little faster, but the road is the real limiter for speed, not the car. Our Lexus isn''t much slower in practice, very nearly as sporty (again, in practice on a road that just won't let you go fast), and way, way more comfortable.

Our driveway is likewise quite steep. Our Scion xB struggled, but made it fine. The CT doesn't struggle even a little. I wouldn't let this particular concern cause you any hesitation.

You should definitely shift 'er into "B" on the way down the hill, btw. BIG difference in pleasure and the feeling of control.
Thanks for posting that. I drive that route to my friends house quite a bit from San Diego.
79 to 371 to 74 to 111.
That was going to be my first good drive when I get mine. Glad it does well going up that hill....

·
Registered
255 Posts
I am in central Texas, that would be a long drive for me.

Not impossible though.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had in my head "B" was for brake, like parking brake. No???

Thanks to all who replied. Since I live in Houston, for most of my driving I'll never see a single hill. :D.

I'm glad to know the CT will do the job.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Somebody is going to explain this better than me, but "B" uses the engine to assist braking. I read maybe half a sentence about it on another thread before I gave it a try. It works great.

·
Registered
76 Posts
B is for engine braking to help slow the car down going down hill -- just like down-shifting into a lower gear. The CT has CVT so there are no lower gears to down shift to. So B is it. It does work.

Tim

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
I had in my head "B" was for brake, like parking brake. No???

Thanks to all who replied. Since I live in Houston, for most of my driving I'll never see a single hill. :D.

I'm glad to know the CT will do the job.
Dirvin,

In Houston the overpasses are hills :D . I do have a 20 ft drop at my Sam Houston National Woods cabin into a gully next to it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
B is for engine braking to help slow the car down going down hill -- just like down-shifting into a lower gear. The CT has CVT so there are no lower gears to down shift to. So B is it. It does work.

Tim
At what speed going down hill can you engage B assist.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Seacliff,

I have shifted into B at various speeds. We can still accelerate in B if necessary. It does engine-brake the car down quite a bit. At one down hill stretch near my work, I would reach the bottom of the hill at 65MPH in D; and 40 MPH in B coasting. The cops pretty much camp at the bottom of the hill with radar gun a few times a week as the speed limit changes from 50 MPH to 35MPH :)

Tim

·
Registered
324 Posts
Seacliff,

I have shifted into B at various speeds. We can still accelerate in B if necessary. It does engine-brake the car down quite a bit. At one down hill stretch near my work, I would reach the bottom of the hill at 65MPH in D; and 40 MPH in B coasting. The cops pretty much camp at the bottom of the hill with radar gun a few times a week as the speed limit changes from 50 MPH to 35MPH :)

Tim
Thanks Tim, That's what I wanted to know. I know when I go down that 74 the Jag even downed shifted to 2nd sometime makes me use the brake because it doesn't slow it down enough.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks for posting that. I drive that route to my friends house quite a bit from San Diego.
79 to 371 to 74 to 111.
That was going to be my first good drive when I get mine. Glad it does well going up that hill....
The ride over the hill east-ish into the Coachella Valley is one of the nicest I've ever taken. You'll love it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I know a honda civic can make it. (non hybrid) Here are the specs for the year civic that regularly makes it up the hill. I know the horsepower is close but I don't see any CT info on torque.
FWIW, electric motors are much better at supplying torque than combustion engines do. That's why hybrids are so good for busses and delivery trucks. They use a diesel engine, which runs at a constant RPM to keep the batteries charged and use an electric motor to power the wheels.

It's the best of both worlds. Diesel engines are very efficient at a constant RPM and electric motors do a great job for large vehicles in a stop & go environment.

Typically, because of the electric motor, a hybrid vehicle will produce higher torque than a non-hybrid vehicle with similar horsepower.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts