Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'd say these occurrences are normal. From looking at the fuel gauge, I'd assume that you observed this soon after you have refueled and filled up your gas tank. It is quite natural that your engine was fairly warm before you filled your gas. So once you resumed your journey after fill up, the mpg computer got reset (it get's reset automatically). The warm engine did not need restarting for some distance driven and fuel consumption showed zero. Once the engine restarted as you picked up speed, the mpg computer did a calculation of distance traveled since reset and the gas consumption so far, and showed a really high value.
These short term occurrences are rather anomalies and should be common observation in my opinion. Your average consumption will be better reflected as you travel farther when the actual combination of battery and gasoline engine usages reflect your driving better.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I am not sure if I am getting over excited but I can swear today that I saw 61MPG in the current mileage. I am posting the picture of the 57.8MPG that I captured
I hate to burst your bubble but that means absolutely nothing. I've seen 99.9 mpg in that readout before. Current MPG is worthless. If you want real mpg then do than manual calculations after each fill up since the computer MPG is about 2-3 mpg higher. Most CT owners are averaging 40-45 mpg. Some lower and some a little higher.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
53 Posts
I see that after every fill-up. It is nice to see, but once you get more miles on that tank of gas, it definately goes back down to the 40ish MPG range.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Yeah, at least you aren't claiming a rediscovery of the new world with a smart phone shot of a freak mileage readout. I think the long term readout on my car is about 45 or maybe 46. That is right for me. I try to do better, but never manage to get much more.

·
Registered
352 Posts
One of the great things is the CT is getting better then advertise mpg. The Ford C-max, Fusion, and other hybrids have gotten bad press for their overly optimistic claims.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Mine is stable right at 46-47 on the display, which is about 44-45 real life. I am anxious to have it warm up to the 60s and 70s to see how much that will improve things.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Current is actually quite accurate if you wait until the tank is empty. But if you just filled up, the first 50 miles really doesn't represent your driving habit or your true average MPG. If I fill up in the morning, and drive to work, current will show 70+ mpg because my commute to work is mostly downhill on freeways. If I fill up after work and drive 5 minutes local to home, current will show 25'ish mpg because my home is on top of the hill from the gas station.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Current is actually quite accurate if you wait until the tank is empty. But if you just filled up, the first 50 miles really doesn't represent your driving habit or your true average MPG. If I fill up in the morning, and drive to work, current will show 70+ mpg because my commute to work is mostly downhill on freeways. If I fill up after work and drive 5 minutes local to home, current will show 25'ish mpg because my home is on top of the hill from the gas station.
That doesn't mean that it isn't accurate. It just means that you can't maintain that mileage for long in normal driving. I am sure it is reasonably accurate. Not as accurate as putting a pencil on the exact mileage and gallons consumed, but I am not sure how important it is that it be 100% accurate unless you are trying for a world record or something. The point is to be able to compare apples to apples, so just use one or the other. Either the car's computer or working it out for yourself.

·
Registered
609 Posts
That doesn't mean that it isn't accurate. It just means that you can't maintain that mileage for long in normal driving. I am sure it is reasonably accurate. Not as accurate as putting a pencil on the exact mileage and gallons consumed, but I am not sure how important it is that it be 100% accurate unless you are trying for a world record or something. The point is to be able to compare apples to apples, so just use one or the other. Either the car's computer or working it out for yourself.
I think you said the same thing I did. :p I said it was "quite" accurate. ;) But if you just drive it for short term, it will only reflect that driving condition. (downhill coasting, city driving.. etc). You really want to see the long term MPG to reflect how much you have to pay for each tank of gas. Some tank I get 60+ when I am driving alone all week to and from work only. Some tank I get less than 35 when I have a full car on vacation driving locally.

The Current MPG is the current for the tank since filled up. So looking at it when the tank is still very much full doesn't really do much good.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I drive approx 210 miles everyday round trip(currently at either 65mph or 70 depending on posted speed limit)and have achieved a manually figured 51.2 mpg.The trip computer actually averaged that approx. number until fill up.Curiously,when I drove in fast lane for entire trip averaging between 75-80(mostly 75) the computer average showed 56-57 mpg at end of trip. Only thing I could think of was cars only a couple of lengths apart due to commuter traffic/drafting advantage.Did not verify manually since not close to fill up.Pretty happy though,car living up to lexus reputation and claims.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I drive approx 210 miles everyday round trip(currently at either 65mph or 70 depending on posted speed limit)and have achieved a manually figured 51.2 mpg.The trip computer actually averaged that approx. number until fill up.Curiously,when I drove in fast lane for entire trip averaging between 75-80(mostly 75) the computer average showed 56-57 mpg at end of trip. Only thing I could think of was cars only a couple of lengths apart due to commuter traffic/drafting advantage.Did not verify manually since not close to fill up.Pretty happy though,car living up to lexus reputation and claims.

Yikes, 210 mile daily commute, and I thought my 64 miles was long, and it is, but yours is much longer. Good thing you own a hybrid.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wow - that is great! There is no way I can get 51 when driving that fast in my CT. Anything over 70 and my mpg will drop to 42 to 44 or even worse. This is using all techniques to get good mileage too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've had my CT for 3 months now. Mostly drive 10-30 mile trips around the Northwest Atlanta area but in the middle of my ownership was a 600 mile trip to South Florida. I consider myself to be a less aggressive driver, meaning that I seldom floor the pedal to get up to the posted speedlimit.

So far, with about 2700 miles driven the "larger" mpg gauge that hasn't been reset since I bought the car is showing 48.9 mpg. I more I read all the bull crap about why gas prices keep going up (i.e. what the hell does anything in Cyprus have to do with oil prices!!) the more I am loving my decision to purchase the CT.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Even here in Toronto, temperatures are now hovering from -2 to 7 degrees celcius.
my mileage is now hovering around 5.1L/100km on the car computer

Looking forward to the summer season!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Even here in Toronto, temperatures are now hovering from -2 to 7 degrees celcius.
my mileage is now hovering around 5.1L/100km on the car computer

Looking forward to the summer season!
So like I've said before, I keep track of my mileage accurately using an iPhone app called Gasbuddy, which simply calculates the exact mileage based on the distance driven and the exact amount of gas you put in. The car's computer average reading has always been off by 4 - 8% in your favour. So your actual mileage is always 4-8% worse than what the car shows.

·
Registered
990 Posts
So like I've said before, I keep track of my mileage accurately using an iPhone app called Gasbuddy, which simply calculates the exact mileage based on the distance driven and the exact amount of gas you put in. The car's computer average reading has always been off by 4 - 8% in your favour. So your actual mileage is always 4-8% worse than what the car shows.
I have the same app and have been using it for the last year. Gas buddy is nothing special, it's just a calculator. Distance traveled divided by gallons at fillup. It's just nice that it records it. Mine is always a solid 3 mpg lower than the computer but its different for everyone based on driving habits. When I changed my habits I've been 1 mpg off. You can't tell him that his will be off by X amount as you don't know his driving habits. Each person has to calculate this on their own.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts