Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am considering purchasing a CT200h but am concerned about the possible theft of the catalytic converter, which seems to happen a lot in the UK. I have searched but could not find any reference in the forum, so either I'm looking in the wrong place or this particular model is safe! I know you can buy a 'catlock' but this doesn't seem to be much of a deterrent.
Any advice gratefully received.

Registered
2016 Blue Lexus CT200h F-Sport
I've never heard of any car being built with anti-theft of the catalytic converter in mind.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
True, just read that it was most common in the UK. Has anyone suffered this misfortune?

Registered
2015 eminent white pearl
True, just read that it was most common in the UK. Has anyone suffered this misfortune?
My neighbor had her's stolen. Honda. There are quite a few videos online of "cat locks". They all look pretty clumsy and rattlely. Doesn't insurance cover?

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
ok, so I'm still dithering, still not bought my CT200h.
Has anyone who has fitted a catlock had any problems with a stolen cat afterwards? I realise that if these low lifes want your cat, they will probably get it. Do the breakdown services rescue you or is a theft not classed as a breakdown?
I really want this car but do not want the worry of 'is my cat still there' every time I leave it somewhere, car park, airport, my driveway!
I never thought something like this would influence which car I bought .. so sad.

Registered
2015 eminent white pearl
Cat locks only make the process harder. A motivated criminal with enough time will get around the lock. Good thing criminals are not known for their work ethic.

Registered
The cat was stolen from my CT200h last month in London, it's an ongoing nightmare! Lexus have no replacements in stock nationwide, I've waited 4 weeks so far and the shipment date keeps getting delayed. My insurance won't provide a courtesy car as the parts aren't in stock, and I'm looking at a 拢1400 repair bill. DEFINITELY install a Cat Lock, seems thieves are getting more desperate and are happy to jack the car up to gain access. The alarm didn't even go off.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
The cat was stolen from my CT200h last month in London, it's an ongoing nightmare! Lexus have no replacements in stock nationwide, I've waited 4 weeks so far and the shipment date keeps getting delayed. My insurance won't provide a courtesy car as the parts aren't in stock, and I'm looking at a 拢1400 repair bill. DEFINITELY install a Cat Lock, seems thieves are getting more desperate and are happy to jack the car up to gain access. The alarm didn't even go off.
Hi ja87, sorry to hear about your misfortune. I still haven't bought a CT200h but have seen several around where I live recently and had convinced myself that maybe I was worrying about nothing. Now I'm not so sure! The shortage of genuine replacement parts is a worry, especially as the model has now been discontinued in the UK. I have seen replacement cats on eBay for around 拢400 .. not sure what they are like quality / fit wise though. I have read about being careful where you park but what's being careful? Next to a curb on one side and close to another vehicle the other? Obviously that car could move! How did you recover your vehicle from London to your home? I was going to view some cars after the lockdown ends, only to find the one I'm interested in is in a tier 3 area, so still cannot go. Sadly it's looking more likely I will end up with a boring VW Golf, but at least cat theft and spares availability won't be an issue ....

Registered
Hi ja87, sorry to hear about your misfortune. I still haven't bought a CT200h but have seen several around where I live recently and had convinced myself that maybe I was worrying about nothing. Now I'm not so sure! The shortage of genuine replacement parts is a worry, especially as the model has now been discontinued in the UK. I have seen replacement cats on eBay for around 拢400 .. not sure what they are like quality / fit wise though. I have read about being careful where you park but what's being careful? Next to a curb on one side and close to another vehicle the other? Obviously that car could move! How did you recover your vehicle from London to your home? I was going to view some cars after the lockdown ends, only to find the one I'm interested in is in a tier 3 area, so still cannot go. Sadly it's looking more likely I will end up with a boring VW Golf, but at least cat theft and spares availability won't be an issue ....
The RAC towed mine to a local garage as it's considered a breakdown. The lack of spare parts is extremely annoying, I feel that Lexus should recall all the affected models and install CatLocs as standard as they know full well that this is a growing problem. You should supposedly park exhaust-side to kerb, but I don't think this makes a huge difference as the cat seems to sit quite centrally anyway.

Registered
I had mine stolen from my driveway, they cut the grill to get to the horn cables then cut them so when they.jacked the car up the alarm was silent!

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Geoff, really sorry to hear that. I had heard others say about breaking the front grill but couldn't understand why. Sadly I have reluctantly decided against buying a CT200h as I would constantly be worried wherever I parked it. I see lots nearby and obviously they don't all suffer from these ruthless gangs but I really don't feel that I want to risk it. Hope you get yours fixed without too much hassle.

Registered
Hi, I am considering purchasing a CT200h but am concerned about the possible theft of the catalytic converter, which seems to happen a lot in the UK. I have searched but could not find any reference in the forum, so either I'm looking in the wrong place or this particular model is safe! I know you can buy a 'catlock' but this doesn't seem to be much of a deterrent.
Any advice gratefully received.
In response to the increase in cat theft, we鈥檝e engineered a stainless steel catshield secured using tamperproof screws for 2011-2017 Lexus CT200h vehicles. The CatShield has been thermal tested to ensure proper heat dissipation for the prevention of overheating issues.

To top it all off - we'd like to offer this 10% discount code "LEXUSCTUSA" to all the members in this forum or use this link: Cat Shield鈩 | 304 Stainless Steel. This discount can be applied at checkout and will be valid until 2/26/2021 unless stated otherwise.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts