Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does the instrument panel show two mileage averages? The first one (and higher avg) is displayed next to the current mileage bar. Then the next display is another average, a little lower. The higher one reads 35.7 and the lower one reads 33.8. I only have about 210 miles on it so far. My car is brand new and still on it's first tank of gas. I just got it on Wed, 8/1/12. And I also haven't figured out how to fine the Trip Odomoter. Thanks.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hi Mule

Yep - there's 2 mpg meters running :
One does the mpg over the current tank full,
The other does a running calc mpg until you reset it.

The one that runs since the last fill up is the one with other bits of info in it - the horizontal bar that fills and empties is an instantaneous mpg readout. The one that probably just shows "Avg 33.8 mpg" in bigger letters waits until you deliberately reset it. That one is linked to the bars in the Past Record chart if you have the nav computer.

How to reset :
MPG meter 1 - the fill up one resets automatically as you pull away from the pump, no buttons needed
MPG meter 2 - hold DISP while the meter is selected, this will cause it to reset and a new bar will be started in Past Record (I've been making one new Past Record bar per month)
Trip Odometer - quick press of the stalk cycles between Total Miles, Odo A and Odo B. Longer press of the stalk resets Odo A or Odo B, whichever one is selected.

Why would one mpg be 35.7 and one be 33.8 ? I suspect there's been a bit of pre-delivery checking happening there, where the car has been tested while sitting still with the engine on followed by the tank being filled up. The fill up would eliminate that still running period.

Hope that helps :)

PS If Spicygrrl is reading, hopefully this answers your question in another thread too :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sleepypete. You answered my questions. I got confused over the trip odo because my last car had to be cycled through menus, a real pain so I stopped using the trip odo. What you referred to as a "stalk" I would call a "button". But I hadn't noticed it. So I pressed it and it cycled through like you said. As fro the average difference the day I picked up the car it did a bit of idling for a while as the sales woman was showing me how to operate stuff and explaining the features. I tell you, this is the most complicated car I ever owned. The size of the owner's manual proved that. I got the premium with the Nav system.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm new here also, car is about two months old. I've seen my question explored in some 2011 posts but without conclusion. My question is about the instrumentation accuracy. When I fill the tank I getting a projected miles to empty of about 450 miles. I pull into a gas station when the projection is about 60 miles to go so at most 1.5 gallons left to go. When I fill the tank it only takes at most 8 gallons of fuel...suggesting that the tank capacity is only about 9.5 gallons. Just an unspoken reserve, not trusting me to buy gas when it is needed? Second question: I'm using an I-Phone app to record all of my purchases and the inputs are gallons and odometer reading at each fill up. I'm playing with careful driving and getting an instrument reading of 48 MPG...cool...but the calculated mileage using the math in the app is about 45.5...are others seeing such an optimistic read out on the dash versus actual. I love the thing but the mechanical engineer in me is trying to reconcile the numbers. But hey 45.5 is not too shabby so I'm not loosing sleep...just curious.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Sdale, you are right about your observations. Lexus programmed the low fuel to come on after using 8 gallons of fuel. I found my average calculated to be about 44.5 mpg over 40 fill-ups, but the average in the car computer is one mpg higher at 45.5. Not that much of a big deal. Likely the on board computer is more accurate actually analyzing the fuel used, rather than the inefficient measure of a fill-up at the station.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts