Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am having trouble deciding on whether or not I should purchase a ct200h. I am currently look at that car as well as the new 2013 nissan altima SV. What I have really wanted in my car is a backup camera. I would also like to have a good amount of power, maneuverability, comfort, and as little road noice as possible.

So comparing the ct200h vs the new 2013 nissan altima (I haven't test driven it yet though), I am having trouble picking the lexus over the nissan. The ct200h has the following going for it over the altima:

Ct200h Pros:
Marginally better gas mileage
Better looking on the outside
Great steering wheel and power mode options
Nuluxe seats
Very easy to park, great turning radius
Interior is overall has better feel
More prestigious than the Altima

Now the Cons:
Wayyy more expensive. The base model ct200h has almost no features. The Altima SV has backup camera, great speaker system, txt to voice, iphone music streaming, etc
Worse features than the Altima <-- Have to point it out twice
Much slower
Significantly less room. Back seat is almost unusable for long periods of time
5k oil changes vs 7.5k oil changes <--- Yes, this is a big deal to me, fewer visits to the dealer means more time I get to do other things
Warranty on the batteries are only 80k vs 150k (in cali and vs other hybrids)
stereo in the non-navi feels like it was designed in the 80s, not at all lexus like.

So I am having trouble picking the ct200h over the altima. Am I missing something? Perhaps the cons for the ct200h are not as bad as I thought they were compared to the altima.

I just feel like the nissan altima is a much better deal at the moment

The Atima seats are supposedly "Zero-Gravity" and very comfortable.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Marginally better gas mileage?

In real world driving I am getting 43mpg. The Altima SUPPOSEDLY gets 27 city and 38 hwy. Averaged, that's 32.5mpg. 10.5 mpg or 25% LESS than a real world CT. Pretty significant.

Price: "The 2013 Altima will arrive at dealers in July priced from $21,500* for the four-cylinder base model. S, SL and SV trims are available for both the four- and six-cylinder models (the V6 cost of entry is $25,360*), and a top-trim SL V6 slides in at a cool $30,080* (*all prices subject to a $760 destination charge)." I got my Premium with Premium Audio and some goodies for 32 and change.

If you get the premium audio package, you get all the BT goodies(streaming, hands free phone etc), Premium Audio and the back up camera. I have the non navi and although it's not as pretty as the nav, it works. It's clear, bright and sounds great.

Slower? How do you know if you haven't even driven it yet? The CT feels pretty fast to me. I don't give two ****s about the numbers.

The oil change intervals have been changed to 10k miles.

I think you need to drive both to get a feel for both and make a decision. Coming to a pro CT forum and saying the Altima is a better car without having even driven one is kind of insane isn't it? As far as value is concerned, that's as subjective as the looks of the car itself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree that test driving is very important.
I did my comparisons with other cars (Volvo C30, Audi A3 TDI) and almost bought the C30 before driving the CT. The C30 was very comfortable and drove well enough, it too has specially designed seats. I knew that the acceleration of the CT was not as good, but the difference of a few seconds from 0-60 has made no difference in my driving enjoyment (or day to day commute).
The CT is more expensive, so don't over look buying a 1 year old one. They may be hard to find but worth the wait.
I have had my CT for a little over a month now and enjoy it very much. Current gas milage is 46.5mpg based mainly on suburban type commuting. I did not go w/Nav but have bluetooth. You can see on this forum a very easy and well documented way to add a back up camera for non-nav.

Good luck with your decision, but don't dismiss the CT you will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Personally, I'd go with the Nissan. The CT is nice, but way too expensive and I hate the backup camera in the CT (with Navigation) because it has no backup guide lines.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Get a Toyota Camry Hybrid LE. Its has better acceleration, more Back seat room, lots of cool gizmos and gets much better mileage than the Altima. It meets all your needs.

It was also rated as a best buy on my recent AARP magazine. You'll be the talk of the condo. ;)

I don't need the back seat room so we went with the CT. It handles better, much more comfortable seats, handles very well and great Lexus service. We have no problem getting about 45 mpg around town and 40+mpg at 75 mph.

It steams my 50's Pandora radio station via iPhone Bluetooth very well. If I want more up to date music I play a 60's pandora station.

JR

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@cyanara1: What do you mean apples and oranges? They are both cars. I am trying to figure out the pros and cons of each one so that I could make a better decision. This is my second car, with the first being the civic hybrid...and I absolutely hate that car. Not dislike...hate, and have sworn Honda off completely. I don't want to make the same mistake again, so I am trying to decide which car will be better for me. I still have not driven the altima, so hopefully I will be able to make a better decision after tomorrow.

@
goinkin: I will be driving more HWY and expect to get around 34-35 in the altima. With the 18 gallon tank vs 12 gallons, it means much fewer stops at the gas station. When driving the ct200h, it did feel a lot faster than the civic, but still felt like it took a long time to merge onto the freeway. I really only want the backup camera. If it had come as an option on the base model, I don't think I would be here. However, I would need to upgrade to the f sport to get the one with the mirror, and that is ~$4k on top of the base. Too much for me to swallow at the moment. None of the f sport features matter to me, so I feel like I am basically spending $4k on the backup camera and mirror option.

10k service intervals? Are you sure? I thought I read on the lexus website that they were 5k intervals. I think this might be the thing that makes me decide to go with the lexus. As mentioned, the fewer trips to the dealer, the better. 5k intervals for me were too short. Do you happen to have a manual or something that has the maintenance plan?

I didn't say it was better, I said it was a better deal. I am trying to figure out what to look out for when comparing the two when I go test drive it tomorrow. Is there a positive that I missed with the ct200h? Is there a negative that I missed? What about the altima? What did I miss there? That was kinda the direction I was heading, I didn't mean to offend anyone.

5Archer:Thanks 5Archer, I was thinking the same thing. Get a used one, save a ton of money. That is why I waited this long instead of going for a 2011 ct200h when they first came out. However, now I can't wait any longer and need to get a new car in the next couple of months. Trouble is, that the used ones are basically going for the same price as a new one. I would at least expect a used one to fetch at least 3k less than a new one....Nope. They are going for almost the same price, about 1k-1.5k less. I can negotiate a good portion of that with the dealer, might as well go with a new one. Plus, they are going of the lots fast around here. I would like a white one with light interior, and those are really rare. Thanks for the suggestion for googling the backup mirror installation. I took a look and couldn't find much besides the fact that most are going with gentex. I looked up gentex and they are about $300-$400, with a camera being another $150. I called up one audio/video installer and he said backup camera install would run $200. I might be looking at around $800 total, which seems like a lot to me. What I wish I could do is replace the 80s looking radio in the base model with something better. But the audio/video installer guy said that he couldnt find the proper fitting bracket for it. Do you happen to know where I could find one that fits the car? I just wished the dealer was able to install that stuff, I would feel safer going that route.

@Don: Hmm, not sure yet. I do like the specs of the altima, but in reality, I much much more prefer a smaller car. The ct200h is the perfect size minus the back room seat. If that had a couple of more inches, I would be totally happy. Although, I don't have a family/kids and rarely drive people around. So its not dealbreaker. I will test drive it tomorrow and this weekend as well, along with the ct200h again this weekend.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, they were very [email protected], thanks again for letting me know about the 10k service interval, that makes a huge difference in my decision.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@FLYCT: Thanks for the camry hybrid suggestion. I actually took a look at the regular camry (test drove it), and thought it was much better than the previous gen, however, the driving experience was kind of bland and the interior was not nearly as nice as the lexus.

Ok, I took a look at the service guide for the lexus (http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/document/omms/L-MMS-12CT200H/pdf/2012 Lexus CT200h WSG FINAL.pdf) and am somewhat confused. The oil changes are now at 10k intervals, but they still want you to go to the dealer for all of these visual checks? Is that required or just suggested? Can I just do this stuff (the visual checks)?

·
Registered
28 Posts
First 2 service visits, 5k and 10k are free. 5k they rotate tires and set personal preferences. For example set the remote to open all windows when you unlock via remote. Set back up beep to a single beep rather than constant beep.

10k rotate tires and change oil.

After than you can go anywhere you want. Lots of CT owners use Toyota dealers for oil changes. They are very familiar with the engine etc.

You are not limited or restricted to using Lexus for routine service.

The 2012 Camry Hybrid is FAST and economical. If you need the room is is a good choice. Previous years Camry hybrid were slower, got worse gas mileage..

JR

·
Registered
28 Posts
@FLYCT: The oil changes are now at 10k intervals, but they still want you to go to the dealer for all of these visual checks? Is that required or just suggested? Can I just do this stuff (the visual checks)?

SURE YOU CAN. Read the owners manual in the warranty section. It is spelled out that You may do all routine maintanace yourself or any other repair facility, Just like any other manufacture's car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The service intervals for lexus are every 5k miles. but oil changes are every 10k miles. I've had my ct f sport for two months now and am getting 42mpg (1/2 city and 1/2 freeway)using air conditioning every day in 110 degree phoenix az weather.

If you want more room and a little quicker car go for a 2012 prius (its lighter). My wife and I got one 2 weeks after buying my ct. It's actually quite spacious. She is a averaging 51 miles per gallon and she uses the freeway most of the time. Plus toyota has a two year free maintenance that includes all service and oil changes. The only thing you have to worry about is buying new tires. We got the prius 3 for $26k.

If you ask my opinion get the ct. You don't need an f sport if you want the backup camera and all ct's have bluetooth so you can stream any music from your iphone. Plus you can always order a ct to your exact specs from the dealership.

The ct handles better and really fun to drive. I always get looks when I drive and people are shocked to find out that I'm driving a hybrid. Plus Lexus ALWAYS has a better resale value!!! Have you tried sport mode?? You can also add an ingen short ram intake an add another 10 hp. Lookup the ram intake in the forum :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Guys,

So I finally made a decision and jumped the gun on it....bought a 2012 white ct200h base model with caramel interior. First day of driving it today and I really like it. I am glad I bought it as I really like the interior and it feels really solid. Does great around curves. Only thing I need to figure out is how to sync the phone book to the car. Darned thing is confusing! First drive got about 44 mpg which is much better than my civic hybrid at 37. Thanks for all the suggestions, loving the car so far.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts