Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We just completed a 2500+ mile trip from LA to north of Seattle, and wanted to post a few observations. The CT performed great, our total mpgs worked out to 39.12, consuming 66.8 gallons of gas for a 2610 mile trip. This is the calculated mileage, though the screen mpgs showed individual tank averages from 36 (Oregon 10% Ethanol) to 45 (good old California real gas). Gas prices ranged from a low of $3.99 to a high of 4.39. Today I just bought 76 regular for $4.21 here at home. Total gas cost was $276.89 for 1610 miles ... not too bad.

We had the little car really loaded, two adults, 3 suitcases, camera gear, cooler, Misc stuff, and a full size road bicycle, all fit in the rear hatch with seats folded. The car handled any mountain along the way, though the altitude was only a max of 4300'. I was really happy with the handling and power, even with the load we were carrying. With 1/2 case of wine and several books picked up along the way, it was even heavier going home. We did a complete day in the rain all through Oregon on the way home, and I found the rear window really gets dirty, and the little rear wiper just gives you a little tunnel of clear to look through. This is not usually not a problem in sunny California. The car handled the rain great, and the AC and defrost was fine for keeping at least the inside of the windows clear. I found the driver's seat superb, my wife actually likes her '06 Prius seats better, though she has never driven the CT. Go figure. I thought the Prius seats were its worst feature.

The sat radio dropped out quite a lot in the mountains, and that never happens at home. The NAV system performed alright, though it is not easy to update on the fly. I really prefer my old Garmin for lots of reasons, including touch screen access, while moving. I don't remember any satelite dropouts on the nav, just on the radio.

All in all, a great trip car, unless you need to take lots of people and stuff. Everything we needed fit, and it was comfortable (for me) fun to drive, and economical. Also You don't see them everywhere on the road. I saw one in Kirkland, WA, and another northbound on the Grapevine heading out of LA. Its probably not a good snow car, and that would limit its use in the Great White North, I guess.

Here's a shot just north of Mt. Shasta:

Attachments

·
Registered
239 Posts
Awesome dude!

Our longest trip so far was Christmas in Tahoe.

Easily pulled 48mpg (calculated). I thought the hills would kill it, but it made up for it on the downside.

Got some great photos with the old Canon 50D (just upgraded to a 5D Mark II), went up to Nevada City, Virginia City, etc.

I love a good road trip, especially when getting 50mpg!!

Hey, for fun, google an artist named 'Marian Call', track 7 from her new album Something Fierce is a song about Highway 5. You. Will. Love. It. (And you can listen online for free, to all of her music). It's a beautiful song about her love affair with Highyway 5, all the way from her home in Alaska down to LA, San Diego, and beyond.

Be sure to listen to it for the first time while actually driving along the coast, Hwy 1, Hwy 5, whatever.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts