Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the CT200H has an option to disable traction control?

I'm concern about ability to drive/move the car from deep snow.
Second generation of Prius had a very aggressive traction control to a point that it was almost useless in deep snow or slippery surface.

·
Registered
222 Posts
there is no option to disable traction control. your point is very, very valid, for both driving in snow (where sometimes you need some wheel spin for traction) and spirited driving. best thing to do is put it in sport mode where the traction control is "less" intrusive. this is one of the things that bums me out about the car the most.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is a big problem especially in Canada. Last January in Edmonton we had so much snow that I had to borrow my family 4x4 F150 for two weeks or I wouldn't be able to move anywhere.
So if this thing is even lower than Prius I'm suspecting we will need an alternative in winter (eg. Subaru).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi!

I'm new on this forum and I'll probably take a CT 200 as soon as my lease will finish in about 14 very long months! But I live in Montreal, and I'm very conserned about snow...

As I work on the road and do alot of milleage every years (about 40k), in all imaginables conditions, I want to know if it's possible to disable the traction control on the CT 200h. I took a look on the pictures and I dont see any button to disable it. In my TSX, there is a button "VSA", that allow me to do it, and in my Mazda 6 as well.

I saw a trick on the internet that works for the Lexus IS, and I would like to know if that procedure work for the CT.

The steps to do so are as following:

It's a matter of of pushing buttons.

1st - Have car off.

2nd - Have E-Brake pressed and brake pressed

3rd - While holding both petals Start the car

4rd - Keep petals pressed...Tap brake twice then hold down

5th - Do the same for E-brake Tap twice and Hold

6th - Now the brake again and now a light will turn on in the dash (Bottom Right)

*The VSC is now off and the car is free* TRUST this trick is so much fun after it is off..the car is set free...

Oh ya once you turn the car off and back on the VSC is back.

Is there any body who can try it on his CT and tell me if that works?

I'll appreciate. And really appreciate if it works

·
Registered
164 Posts
I found this about the IS but can't get it to work on my CT how ever it does say start the car with the park brake on but on the CT you have to have your foot on the foot brake to start it !

NOTE: This is the first in what I hope will be a series of HOWTOs, documenting the collective knowledge of members of this forum. It would be appreciated if a moderator could pin this topic (and all other HOWTO topics) so they're always available at the top of the forum.
----------------------

TESTED ON: 2007 IS250 Sports with enhancement pack
SUCCESFUL/FAIL: Success
LEVEL OF DIFFICULTY: medium (requires fancy footwork!)

INTRODUCTION
As we all know, disabling traction control on the IS (by hitting the button twice) is only a temporary disable. As soon as the car detects serious slip, it kicks back in and you lose all that lovely power at the back wheels. Lexus considers this a feature, as you should only ever need to temporarily disable traction control in unique situations, like trying to get out of snow or something. To the best of my knowledge, it's not possible to permamently disable traction control, but it is possible to completely disable it for the duration of a drive (ie: between starting the car and turning it off again).

STEPS
1. Start the car with the park brake on
2. Apply foot brake twice, keeping the foot brake down on the second push
3. Apply park brake twice, leaving it down on the second push
4. Skid light on the dash will illuminate if successful

If it doesn't work the first time, switch the car off and start again at step 1.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im ok

I got 5.7 liter limited crew cab that has got me through 3 winters :) its expencive fun at less than 8 miles per gallon in the snow, I use the gas meter as a fan on those days

pearl white with nav

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes you're right, that is the IS. I was wishing that is simply work on the CT. I change my car in about one year, and that will be the major reason why I would not take a CT if I decide to go with another model. The new Audi Q5 hybrid looks very interesting too but will be really more expensive and probably unreliable.

By the way, how is the CT in snow and in snow storm? Maybe with really good winter tire it's not that bad?

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
I found this about the IS but can't get it to work on my CT how ever it does say start the car with the park brake on but on the CT you have to have your foot on the foot brake to start it !
Why does that matter? The parking brake on the CT is the small pedal on the left side and can be applied before staring the car, can't it? Or am I missing something?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Why does that matter? The parking brake on the CT is the small pedal on the left side and can be applied before staring the car, can't it? Or am I missing something?
It says start the car with the park brake on then press the foot brake twice but you are already pressing the foot brake to start the car !

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Came across this when doing some research for another thread. This might be useful for those wanting to disable traction control on CT. Instructions are similar to those for the IS posted above.

Maintenance Mode:
Perform the following steps from (1) through (4) in 60 seconds.
(1) Turn the power switch on (IG).
(2) Fully depress the accelerator pedal twice with park (P) selected.
(3) Fully depress the accelerator pedal twice with neutral (N) selected.
(4) Fully depress the accelerator pedal twice with park (P) selected.
(5) Check that "MAINTENANCE MODE" is displayed on the multi-information display.
(6) Start the engine by turning the power switch on (READY) while depressing the brake pedal.
(Done) Turn off car to disable.

**To disable Traction Control without keeping engine at idle. Do the same but three times for each.**

·
Registered
1 Posts
Came across this when doing some research for another thread. This might be useful for those wanting to disable traction control on CT. Instructions are similar to those for the IS posted above.

Maintenance Mode:
(5) Check that "MAINTENANCE MODE" is displayed on the multi-information display.
(6) Start the engine by turning the power switch on (READY) while depressing the brake pedal.

**To disable Traction Control without keeping engine at idle. Do the same but three times for each.**
We had a bit snow here in the UK yesterday (4 April 2012) and I have to say with Traction Control on the car was absolutely useless. The instant I pressed the accelerator pedal traction control activated and the car wouldn't move. Fortunately I didn't have any meetings to attend and could work from home yesterday. I found this post this morning, tested it and low and behold the car goes into "Certification Mode" and according to the instrument panel Traction Control is off. It's a bit of faff and would be better if Lexus provided an off switch. Unfortunately I can't test it because typical UK weather it rained all yesterday evening and not a snowflake in sight today. :)
Does anyone know how far the car the can be driven safely/wisely in "Certification Mode"?

·
Registered
79 Posts
^I would also like to know this answer, for in cases of snow trips to lake tahoe and such I wouldnt want to get stuck in a ditch!

anybody willing to try?

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
^I would also like to know this answer, for in cases of snow trips to lake tahoe and such I wouldnt want to get stuck in a ditch!

anybody willing to try?
If you are driving in the mountains definitely invest in a set of snow tires - the oem tires are worthless in snow. We were in VT this past winter before I bought snow tires and the stock tires provided zero traction.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tried it and it works! Press three time for each and it'll display Certification Mode. Once your start the car the trac light stays on. Next winter's gonna be lots of fun.

·
Registered
32 Posts
As Seabass said, it works! I wonder what else this does aside from turn the Stability programs off? For all I noticed, motor torque seemed to be uncapped as well, with the front end lifting up at just 50% accelerator pressure in sport mode. Awesome discovery.

All in all a very nice experience :D

·
Registered
85 Posts

Maintenance Mode:

I tried this, but couldn't get it to work. I have a question; your disabling steps starts off with "Maintenance Mode"...would you explain what you mean by that. I couldn't find any indicator on the display identified as "maintenance mode". Thank you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
WARNING:

I had previously researched this and the other thing this apparently does it remove the limiting control on the motor. This means that if you "gun it" and rev it too high, you could damage the electric motor. If you do this, I would be cautious, and only use it in limited situations like getting up a snow covered hill, etc. and only if you think you can effectively control your rpms manually.

·
Registered
85 Posts
WARNING:

I had previously researched this and the other thing this apparently does it remove the limiting control on the motor. This means that if you "gun it" and rev it too high, you could damage the electric motor. If you do this, I would be cautious, and only use it in limited situations like getting up a snow covered hill, etc. and only if you think you can effectively control your rpms manually.
Good to know ! Ya, I was only planning on using it (disabling the traction control) as needed in the snow. As I've read in other posts...the CT will need all the help it can get when driving in the snow ! Apparently, I will soon be investing in the Nokian Hakka R's...it makes little sense to me to purchase a lesser winter tire to save a few extra bucks. Gee, I didn't have this concern with my Infiniti G37, but I wasn't getting 49 MPG with it either !!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Maintenance versus Certification Mode?

I have a 2013 CT, the year prior to the VSC defeat button becoming available.

Question regarding the two modes Maintenance versus Certification, what is the difference? Given whatever differences there are, what would they do for rocking the car when trying to get rolling in a few inches of snow?

I am planning on getting snow tires/wheels for the winter, I'll ask about that separately.

·
Registered
251 Posts
some thoughts about winter driving and snow tires (1) am I driving like a maniac - 65 mph - when it snows and expect to stop any car like I could in summer time ? (2) When it comes to safety, I don't compromise. Having said that, I read a lot of end users reviews - for anything that I am going to purchase - and go for the best price/performance decision

1 - 20 of 28 Posts