Lexus CT200h Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just noticed on a different subject posting that you mentioned potential faulty brakes. Based on pics, looks like you might be saying that your brakes failed (or seemed to fail) and you hit a curb. The vehicle does not look wrecked from the point of view of the pic with the fire. Also noticed all doors were opened. Were there others in the car. If you got out after fire started as you said, how did all the other doors open. If a bump over the curb caused a fire, was something underneath the car ruptured in the curb hit? Now you can see why you are raising more questions that explanations as to what to be careful about.

·
Registered
180 Posts
its the hatch door that the firemen were trying to pop open for the longest time.
does anyone know if I should file a claim with lexus, so i dnt need to pay for the next mth payment or will the insurance do it?
Contact your insurance company. They'll know what you should do.

·
Registered
71 Posts
its the hatch door that the firemen were trying to pop open for the longest time.
does anyone know if I should file a claim with lexus, so i dnt need to pay for the next mth payment or will the insurance do it?
Ah,yes, now I see the badges! For a moment it looked like some creepy thing had landed on the roof!

It may vary from state to state, but AFAIK you are still liable for the payments until/unless a claim is settled. If it's a lease, hopefully you didn't put too much down & have GAP insurance (I ~think~ all Lexus leases do).

·
Registered
245 Posts
CYA. Your insurance company should handle it, but call yourself as well.

Exactly what happened? Complete brake failure? Any warning signs in advance? No one else involved? It looks like you came to a stop over the concrete edge of the street and scraped the bottom?

I would certainly like to know more as we all would.

·
Registered
200 Posts
#1, insurance company should have been IMMEDIATLY called right after the accident occured....

if you didnt know you should do that, then I dunno what else to say, unless you meant contacting lexus financial was a joke...

sorry, but a brake issue would not cause the car to go up in flames like that...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Sorry, I will def post more details once everything is settled. Im still in shock of what happened yesterday.

I would love if anyone knows what to do after they total their car. Anything to watch out for:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Im going to stop posting more details until I contact my attorney. More details will jst lead to premature conclusions without any professional basis.

Once everything is okay, Ill come back and let you guys know if anyone is still interested.
This was just a warning for people to be alert of their car surrounding. I didnt mean for people to get all CSI on this accident.

to the mods if you think this thread should be close to prevent further guesses, please help close this thread. once everything is settle I will post the finding for the CT community.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Im going to stop posting more details until I contact my attorney.
This was just a warning for people to be alert of their car surrounding. I didnt mean for people to get all CSI on this accident.
Be alert of their car surroundings? Not get all CSI? I'm sorry but this post was dramatically inflamitory. Posting these images here and refusing to follow up with any details can in no way be interpreted as a warning.

What exactly should we watch out for? Are you trying to stir up an uproar for your lawsuit? If you had ANY interest in aiding us here in this forum, you would post some details.

All you have managed to do is make the rest of us wonder if the CT is a death trap. Was that your intention?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Be alert of their car surroundings? Not get all CSI? I'm sorry but this post was dramatically inflamitory. Posting these images here and refusing to follow up with any details can in no way be interpreted as a warning.

What exactly should we watch out for? Are you trying to stir up an uproar for your lawsuit? If you had ANY interest in aiding us here in this forum, you would post some details.

All you have managed to do is make the rest of us wonder if the CT is a death trap. Was that your intention?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Sorry, I will def post more details once everything is settled. Im still in shock of what happened yesterday.

I would love if anyone knows what to do after they total their car. Anything to watch out for:)
The first thing to do is call your insurance company, immediately. I would also call the police department and fire department and get copies of any police/fire reports they have.

If you feel you need to talk to a lawyer, do so ASAP.

I don't want to read into your situation without any details or make any guesses, but the only reason I can see for talking to a lawyer would be if your insurance company somehow denies your claim based on a manufacturer's defect.

Otherwise they'll just pay out an amount of money needed to 'bring the insured to the condition they were in before the loss', I.E. replacement value of the car minus any deductible.

All that being said, to answer your original question, yes, I've had a brand new vehicle totaled.

I'd been on the waiting list when the new BMW Z4 came out for about 6 months. I received one of the first vehicles off the production line, and happily drove the tires off it for 1 month/1k miles or so.

I also owned a BMW Z3 (M) at the time, and a member of the local Bay Area Z3 (& now Z4) owners club.

I decided to join in on a Z3/Z4 weekend drive, and wanted to bring both vehicles. So I had my girlfriend drive the new Z4, while I brought the Z3.

About three miles into the drive, we were headed west on Old Page Mill Road off 280 in Palo Alto. A large white utility truck ran over the double yellow line and literally ran the Z4 my girlfriend was driving off a CLIFF.

It went down 150 feet or so, rolled over three times, with the top down, and was finally stopped by landing on a tree.

The car is INCREDIBLY well built, with built in fixed rollover protection, and she walked away with two scratches. A piece of glass lodged in the back of her hand, and a small rock hit her in the back of the head.

She survived, so I married her.

..... Best of luck with your claim, glad to hear you're ok, and yes, we'd all love to hear the details ASAP!!!

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
What Happened ?

Dozer42 -Great advice and glad you girlfriend/wife survived the Z4 wreck.
===========
Concerning Original poster, ecoCT, details are very sketchy as Dirvin best enumerated.

The girl, ecoCT, complained about brake problems in another thread, so somehow one could speculate she feels braking is involved. But a wreck was never mentioned, nor does it really look like a wreck in the pictures provided. What concerns me it the extent of the fire. Some thing or things very flammable obviously burned, but was there a rupture and what caused the rupture? I can understand ecoCT being scared and if the insurance balks or won't pay replacement value and if Lexus is truly at fault, which right now we don't know how and if they were involved, what are they willing to pay. I guess if it were me, maybe I wouldn't have talked about it or posted pictures until the situation was resolved. Because as many have pointed out, no doing so makes it seem almost surreal.

The original pictures, posts, and follow-up from ecoCT didn't make me more comfortable nor aware about being careful when I drive my CT. just FUD (Fear Uncertainty and Doubt)

·
Registered
130 Posts
You still need to pay whomever you have you auto loan with (based on your posts, I assume that it's Lexus Finance) when the loan payment is due. Don't miss any payments because you are waiting on your insurance company. If the insurance company doesn't handle this before your next payment is due, make the payment. You don't want missed payments showing on your credit report.

Depending on how big of a down payment you made, it's possible that you owe more than the insurance company is going to give you. You will be responsible for the difference.

·
Registered
239 Posts
You still need to pay whomever you have you auto loan with (based on your posts, I assume that it's Lexus Finance) when the loan payment is due. Don't miss any payments because you are waiting on your insurance company. If the insurance company doesn't handle this before your next payment is due, make the payment. You don't want missed payments showing on your credit report.

Depending on how big of a down payment you made, it's possible that you owe more than the insurance company is going to give you. You will be responsible for the difference.
That doesn't happen toooooo often. To pay less than replacement value they would have to prove abnormal depreciation.

For example, take my father. He's a medical courier out in Kentucky. He bought a new Chevy Cobalt a year and a half ago, and put 60,000 miles on it the first year, and then it was totaled.

The insurance company in this case would only have to pay 'replacement value', and they would peg that value at the market price of a 1 year old Cobalt with 60,000 miles, which might be $10k less than the loan value.

In this case he had gap insurance (he's with USAA, they're great), and they paid the entire loan off. Gap insurance covers any difference between the loan/lease payoff, and the replacement cost of the totaled vehicle.

In her case I don't think we have any reason to suspect unusual depreciation not related to the incident, and the insurance company should be giving her just about the cost of a new CT200h at current market price.

In my case, with the totaled Z4, I wound up getting $500 *MORE* than the loan value, as I'd negotiated $1700 off MSRP, and now that the car had been released for one entire month, they couldn't match the price with quotes from local dealers.

In a previous life I took a short break from being a Geek to selling commercial transportation insurance, and owned a brokerage for a short time. But my information might be outdated or inaccurate for where she lives. YMMV! =]

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.