Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone tested top speed on their CT?

i did 170km/h on my CT (measurement via GPS)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Top speed is specified at 113mph or 180km/ph. Like you, I have seen 170km/ph, in my case overtaking an SUV that would't pull over to the left so I could get by in the overtaking lane. I shouldn't have done so, but I was surprised that the little CT was so willing. I don't know what the other driver made of a little pocket rocket buzzing by and disappearing into the distance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This isn't very smart... If I remember correctly, in the user's manuel, it stated that the tires were rating at a max speed of 140km/h and that the car should be equipped of different tires if the owner wanted to drive over that speed... Be careful guys!

·
Registered
441 Posts
You are right. Speeding is never very smart. However, I think the tyres are up to the task if needs be. Mine are the originals, 215/45R17 87W, and I think the 'W' indicates that they are built for a maximum speed of 260km/ph. The tyre placard on the door frame nominates tyre pressures for 'Normal driving' and 'Speeds of 160km/ph and above". The speed I accidentally recorded in the CT was prompted by the fact that a guy was deliberately blocking me in his giant SUV and when he finally pulled over, the best move I could make was to still pass him. The circumstances were safe enough, notwithstanding the speed limit.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Prosperity is right - a W speed rating on a tyre (as on the original fit Yokohama dB in my case) indicates a maximum speed of 168 mph.

Tire code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The weird thing is that my GS300, with a maximum speed of 145 mph (approx), has only V rated tyres (up to 149 mph) - and it still has it's original Yokohamas on.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The stock Michelin tires P215 45 17, 87V, on the 2012 CT200H are V rated to 149mph, which is far in excess of the factory governed 113 mph speed.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Which Michelins are they? My CT came with Yokohama dBs as standard fit.
ty

·
Registered
441 Posts
johnleigh: My 215/45R17 87W tyres are the Yokohama dBs, too. My understanding is that they were developed to minimise road noise (?) and lower rolling resistance to increase economy. Don't know how successful they are in achieving either. I wonder how the Michelins go? I do like the 'rim guard' on the Yokohamas (the rubber ridge low on the tyre wall that just helps fend off a few kerb scrapes)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Prosperity,
I too like the rim guard, but (as I mentioned in another thread) I find the dBs are quite noisy on rough, cheap road surfaces, whilst being whisper quiet on good surfaces. I had a set of Hankook snow tyres (I cept Evo) on over the winter, supplied by my Lexus dealer, and I'd swear that they were quieter on the cheap surfaces. I didn't notice much difference in mpg either.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my tyres were "V" rated which means top speed of 240km/h.

i only accelerated to 170km/h because Sports mode on highways are actually pretty fun!

·
Registered
441 Posts
johnleigh: I don't have to worry about snow tyres, but what you say is interesting. I suppose tyre manufacturers are always balancing criteria including tyre life, tyre size and profile, rubber compound, wet and dry handling, economy, comfort, quiet ride and appearance. I presume every car manufacturer nominates the key performance features that they want. I can see how it becomes a complex task. Where does a quiet ride on coarse surfaces fit in all this? What effect does tread pattern have? Do you have a quiet tyre on a coarse surface only to slide off a wet road, for example? Is there a tyre expert in the house or someone who knows a good Internet site?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
johnleigh: I don't have to worry about snow tyres, but what you say is interesting. I suppose tyre manufacturers are always balancing criteria including tyre life, tyre size and profile, rubber compound, wet and dry handling, economy, comfort, quiet ride and appearance. I presume every car manufacturer nominates the key performance features that they want. I can see how it becomes a complex task. Where does a quiet ride on coarse surfaces fit in all this? What effect does tread pattern have? Do you have a quiet tyre on a coarse surface only to slide off a wet road, for example? Is there a tyre expert in the house or someone who knows a good Internet site?
dude,

check out this site: Tyre Reviews by Tyre Type | the online tyre guide

1 - 12 of 12 Posts