Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arghhhhhh, it happened. Some yo-yo clipped my car in a parking lot. My car didn't even have a thousand miles on it. It caused a small dent and scraped the through the paint. To have it repaired the whole bumper and the side panel which goes all the way around the window have to be repainted. The estimate is $1,400.00 both at the dealer and also a reputable body shop. I don't know if I should have it repaired or just live with it.
Can anyone tell me how good is the paint body shops use? Will it match perfectly? Will it wear the same as the rest of the car? It seems like a lot of work and paint for a small amount of damage. But yet it is a new car................. Sigh........................

·
Registered
324 Posts
You know the car is is worth it after all that wait. I know that's alot of money but I think it will make you feel better knowing it looks back like it should. The next set well that's part of owning our nice wheels.
Matadoress, I would check out their Rep with BBB or check to see who is recommended by AAA. They will make it look like new and match well, but I think after about 3 years you may be able to tell the difference. At least on my red cars that's been the case.
Check on what their guarantee on fading is from both.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Oh no ! Sorry to hear that.

I think I would get it repaired given it is so new.

Can you not do it on your insurance or does it work differently in the US to AUS I have rating one here which means I have built up no claims to the point rating one means if I now claim they won't put up my premium I just pay the $500 excess.

·
Registered
33 Posts
aww.. that hurts!

for me, i would try some paintless dent repair for the fender area, and will go to the local detailing shop, maybe they could help lessen the scratches. if so, buy some touchout paint at sewell, maybe it would look better. just my two cent.

just like Seacliff said, at about 3years, you may be able to see the difference.

if you really want to repaint it, go with the rear bumper, because even if it looks a little different, its ok because the paint on plastic vs metal will really look different after several years or months under the sun. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the sympathy. I think insurance would pay for it. I am more concerned with the paint matching and fading, especially since they have to paint so much of the car. I heard red was a color more apt to fade, so I was hoping others here could offer advice as to their experiences.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I had a similar scratch on a new car...It was my Buick Enclave...the day I picked it up I noticed a small scratch done somewhere at the dealer. I had already signed the paperwork...I was going to not accept the car but it was a lease, my salesman was a nice guy and they promised I wouldn't be able to tell afterwards where the scratch was. It looked pretty good when done but you could see some buff marks in the dark paint...more than the rest of the car so it stood out a little...but the shine and color were good. My point is, there are people that can match the paint perfectly if you ask...some places will blend the paint. Ask them about PPG paint...I hear it's the best

·
Registered
75 Posts
my locaal shop who does any of my repairs has the dupont paint system where they mix the paint right at the shop test spray a sample piecethat you can lay on the car if it is off eg. to light ,dark ,or tint is wrong the computer data base gives corrections to solve the problem i had a red /maroon truck that they painted parts on and could not tell from parts that were not painted

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
$1,400 to fix that!? Jeez, that's crazy. My wife's car has been hit-n-run before in a parking lot and we paid the $500 deductible too to get it fixed. I could never live with a blemish like that, especially if it's a new car.

·
Registered
516 Posts
$1,400 to fix that!? Jeez, that's crazy. My wife's car has been hit-n-run before in a parking lot and we paid the $500 deductible too to get it fixed. I could never live with a blemish like that, especially if it's a new car.
Another reason I like black cars...try matching that red or even worse, try matching that yellow color...it may look good when first fixed but question is how will it hold up down the line in a couple of years

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Another reason I like black cars...try matching that red or even worse, try matching that yellow color...it may look good when first fixed but question is how will it hold up down the line in a couple of years
I'm not really following why people are saying there could be fading issues down the road. If the repair shop paints the car with the paint code provided on the car, isn't the paint the same? Or is it a cheaper quality paint than used in Japan?

I do understand that if a car is several years old and that paint on the car fades over time due to the elements and sun, and then painting an area of the car then needs the paint faded in to match, but just not following if this car is new, why would there be fading issues later? :confused:

I don't think I could ever own a black car for 2 reasons. 1) I'll spend more time and $ cleaning it as I hate driving a dirty car and 2) the infamous swirl marks that develop on the paint over time

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's an update to my repair or not to repair saga. I had decided to go ahead and leave the dent and scratches; worried that after time there would be a noticeable difference in how the factory paint vs. the repainted section would fade.

My dear husband had other ideas. He wanted to take it to one of those dent guys, in hopes of minimizing the damage. The first guy said he couldn’t get to that area just above the wheel well. The second guy said he thought he could get to it through the tail light. He said he would also use some touchup paint on the bumper and all would be better.

We took it in last Tuesday morning and that afternoon the “Dent Dude” called and said I have some good news and some bad news. He happily told me how he was able to work out most of the dent and it looked great. The bad news? He said “this has never happened to him before”. When he went to remove the white paint from my bumper, his polisher removed the paint in two places. Sigh……………… He insisted that it couldn’t have happened if my car had clear coat on the bumper. No worries though, he would take care of it and it would be better than new. Three days later I picked up my car. It does look good. Hopefully it will look as good in years to come.

If that wasn’t bad enough, when I came home and was cleaning the car I found that there was another huge scratch under the front bumper about eight inches long. Plus a two inch by one inch chunk of chrome is gone from my front passenger rim. Another big sigh……………

While the first round of damage was caused by some random jerk in a parking lot, this was done by lil ol’ me. Last Monday I did a quick U-turn and found that my turning radius, while is impressive, didn’t compensate for my bad driving. Who put that curb so far in the road anyway?

So now does anyone have some advice as to what to do with my rim?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Here's an update to my repair or not to repair saga. I had decided to go ahead and leave the dent and scratches; worried that after time there would be a noticeable difference in how the factory paint vs. the repainted section would fade.

My dear husband had other ideas. He wanted to take it to one of those dent guys, in hopes of minimizing the damage. The first guy said he couldn’t get to that area just above the wheel well. The second guy said he thought he could get to it through the tail light. He said he would also use some touchup paint on the bumper and all would be better.

We took it in last Tuesday morning and that afternoon the “Dent Dude” called and said I have some good news and some bad news. He happily told me how he was able to work out most of the dent and it looked great. The bad news? He said “this has never happened to him before”. When he went to remove the white paint from my bumper, his polisher removed the paint in two places. Sigh……………… He insisted that it couldn’t have happened if my car had clear coat on the bumper. No worries though, he would take care of it and it would be better than new. Three days later I picked up my car. It does look good. Hopefully it will look as good in years to come.

If that wasn’t bad enough, when I came home and was cleaning the car I found that there was another huge scratch under the front bumper about eight inches long. Plus a two inch by one inch chunk of chrome is gone from my front passenger rim. Another big sigh……………

While the first round of damage was caused by some random jerk in a parking lot, this was done by lil ol’ me. Last Monday I did a quick U-turn and found that my turning radius, while is impressive, didn’t compensate for my bad driving. Who put that curb so far in the road anyway?

So now does anyone have some advice as to what to do with my rim?

Question about your rims...in your original post on this topic, it looks like you had your rims chromed...either by you or the dealer before you purchased your car...is it me or are they chromed? If so, and you need a new rim, you will have to get it rechromed again.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hii Bond
I got them chromed from the dealer

·
Registered
410 Posts
Ouch... that was a sad story Matadoress. I thought I was gonna hear about your happy ending. Although cracked me up, there was really nothing to a laugh about. You poor thing. ;-( There are tons of good wheel repair places in Calif...hopefully in Bakersfield too. Of course, the dealer can fix it for an arm & a leg probably. The 8" scratch can probably be buffed out if it is not too deep. I hope it is just surface level.

Be careful girl.... you can't be abusing your little chariot. hehe

1 - 14 of 14 Posts