Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about installing VentureShield™ Paint Protection Film (PPF) on our new CT200h but... Man! It's not cheap.

To bra or not to bra? That's the question.

I found a guy installing PPF on part of the hood, fenders, front bumper, mirrors, headlamps for $550.

Anyone had good or bad experience with PPF protection in the past? Is it worth the money?

·
Registered
842 Posts
I think it is definitely worth some money, but I am not sure about $550. I would warn you that you better keep an eye on it because almost all of them will eventually start turning a little yellow and then craze. If that happens, you better have the original warranty and receipt or it will be on you to remove it. It cost me far more to remove it from my 2004 Thunderbird than it ever did to put it on and, of course, I had discarded my receipts and warranty so it came out of my money. The crazing didn't look that bad but it would only come off in tiny pieces, even when a heat gun was used and it was very time intensive.

It did, however, save me from several chips. I didn't get it on my 2010 Prius and I wish I had. I have two or three little nicks that would have been avoided with the Paint Protection Film. I am having it put on right now on my new Lexus CT200 F Sport that I am getting tomorrow.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I have one installed by a company in Massachusetts...the product or company is called "Autobahnd"...it works well as there aren't any chips on my front of the car but I try to avoid them even with the bra installed. It protects my mirrors, front bumper and the hood. You can't really see it when installed properly...however, my car is black and if you get some wax on where it meets the car, it may leave a fine white line where the edge of the bra meets the car...however, I have cleaned this off using a soft type of toothbrush...not a problem for me once in awhile to do

·
Registered
352 Posts
It looks like some paint are more durable than others. The pearlescent type seems to be more resistant then the non. I look at one of my car, which is red and 18 years old and you can see a lot of the paint pits but only if you are about 2 feet away, non really that big. On my wifes 9 year old car, which has pearlescent paint, there isn't that many, pretty good shape for that age. Best thing to do is look at some of the cars around you and see what you can tolerate.

FYI, I asked the opinion of a professional car detailer about these clear bras and he said that it looks tacky and wouldn't recommend it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
After purchasing my vehicle I went to a highly reccomended clear bra installer. I discussed with him my concerns about the line that shows on the hood after installation. He showed me several vehicles on his property that had clear bra's installed on their hoods. While you could not see anything from a distance, up close it was definitely noticable.

I don't do that much highway driving ( where I believe you are most vulnerable ) so I decided to have the front bumper and 2 side mirrors done. Totally happy with it, he used 3M and charged $350. For me I will chance getting chips on hood in order to have the clean look. And if I ever have to take it off, no concerns about a wear line on my hood

·
Registered
205 Posts
I had it done.My last car's hood looks like it was sand blasted with all the rock chips.Rocks are always flying around here.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Self-installed 3M, totally worth it, IMHO. Not having paint chips all over the front hood/bumper like my last Mini Cooper...priceless.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
I had it done.My last car's hood looks like it was sand blasted with all the rock chips.Rocks are always flying around here.
Same here. I regret not doing it on my last car and it looked like your car sounds! Auto paint these days is very soft and prone to chips. I too have the Autobahnd product on my CT.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
I would suggest going with the clear bra. Look into some other options such as 3M which has been mentioned

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have clear bras on all of my cars... well worth the money, but shop around for best price. Dealer installation prices are the highest.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I would urge you to use the other prices to bargain with your dealer. Having a Lexus dealer behind your bra (that sounds wrong!) goes a long way toward peace of mind. The bra WILL fail. It is just a question of when. You want someone there to help you then.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Having a Lexus dealer behind your bra (that sounds wrong!) goes a long way toward peace of mind.
I want to be a Lexus dealer then! :) Ha ha

The bra WILL fail. It is just a question of when. You want someone there to help you then.
Hmmm, is that common? This is my first one, just got one on my wife's Pilot too. What exactly happens, discolor? Peeling off?

·
Registered
842 Posts
I want to be a Lexus dealer then! :) Ha ha

Hmmm, is that common? This is my first one, just got one on my wife's Pilot too. What exactly happens, discolor? Peeling off?
I can't speak to every installation, but in my case both on my 2004 Thunderbird. I got a 3M clear bra installed when it was new. It looked great for about 4 years and then started discoloring on the edges. I admit I let it go for a while because I was used to it and they when I went to get it removed it took almost two days to finally get it off because even heated it broke into tiny pieces that were less than a half inch square and required heating and scraping with a teflon scraper. It was awful but it was my fault. When I saw it yellowing I should have had it taken off right away.

It cost me twice as much to remove as to have it installed and my warranty was for four years and had expired, besides who keeps receipts?

·
Registered
24 Posts
The salesman from Lexus that I talked to, told me that only 2 people in the past few years have opted NOT to have a clear bra installed. Maybe it's an upsell... I've never had one put on before, but I like the idea behind it. My CT is white and I hope it'll be less noticeable than on the dark gray colored one in the lot. Just a little dust and all the lines were very easy to see. I think it would drive me nuts and I'd be washing my car far too often. I've opted to get it... hope it works out well. One question for you guys though.... I'm thinking about having a piece installed just above the main front windshield and stopping at roughly the start of the sunroof. My past 2 vehicles have had rock damage pretty much right where the roof meets the front windshield. Good idea?

·
Registered
414 Posts
One question for you guys though.... I'm thinking about having a piece installed just above the main front windshield and stopping at roughly the start of the sunroof. My past 2 vehicles have had rock damage pretty much right where the roof meets the front windshield. Good idea?
I've had mine done there - I know what you mean, it can be a bad spot for chips too.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Personal Experience

I have an '10 Prius IV (CT is on order) and had the Clear Shield installed as a PIO. I have found it to be a worth while investment as it has prevented numerious paint chips from being removed from my hood. It also helps by making the "bug guts" easier to remove.

Whether you choose the dealer or a 3rd party, there are several things that you might want to consider: (others can chime in....)
a. Cost. You should shop around and find a good price.
b. Keep your receipt and warranty - and be sure that your warranty covers the full replacement in case the product is defective or becomes defective during the warranty period.
c. Talk to others that have the protector that you are looking at to see what their experience has been with the product and any warranty work that they have had to have.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts