Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The CT200h that I test drove had a sticker in the window that said "17-in performance tires are expected to experience greater tire wear than conventional tires. Tire life may be substantially less than 20,000 miles, depending on driving conditions." I read the same footnote on the Lexus website. I certainly don't want to be putting a new set of tires on this vehicle every year. It would more than negate any fuel savings. Can someone shed some light on this subject? Is this what I can expect from any tires that I buy for this vehicle or just the factory installed tires? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Got to be better than when I had an Audi TT - one set of tires I bought only lasted 12,000 miles !!

I think the tire wear on the tires fitted to this Lexus will be higher than comparable sized tires since the compound is formulated to lower the cars rolling resistance.

With the purpose of increasing fuel economy.

I hear this compound wears faster than conventional rubber.

Like they say there is no free lunch.

Don't worry the cars first year depreciation will be way more than you are going to spend on tires over the next 5 years!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply audi4t. I have to confess that I really don't know much about performance tires. I'm used to getting 60,000 miles from a set of tires. Can you get replacement tires for these vehicles that will get decent mileage, or would I be stuck with the low mileage performance tires as my only option? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
17" inch tires typically cost more than 16" tires so you will always pay some premium.

I have a friend who replaced OEM tires on a Prius with a lesser priced equivalent size and didn't notice any significant change in gas mileage.

Depending on how you drive will also cause increased tire wear but there isn't enough power in the Lexus to smoke these tires.

I think manufacturers often place these type of disclaimers in their blurbs.

The Acura NSX was renowned for eating it's rear tires after 7000 miles.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply audi4t. I have to confess that I really don't know much about performance tires. I'm used to getting 60,000 miles from a set of tires. Can you get replacement tires for these vehicles that will get decent mileage, or would I be stuck with the low mileage performance tires as my only option? Thanks.
i would hardly say that the tires that come on the ct200h are 'performance' tires. their treadwear rating is 500 (michelin primacy mxm4) so you will likely get a good amount of mileage on the tires before needing to replace them. as mentioned, the warnings are there for legal purposes to cover their tails in the event the tires do not last more than 20k miles.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found the Michelin OEM Tires on TireRack (Primacy MXM4 Grand Touring All Season) for a $132 each. They list a warranty of 6 years/55,000 miles. Not sure why Lexus has the 20,000 mile disclaimer. Maybe it's just a standard disclaimer assuming you are putting these tires on a car that is capable of tearing them up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts