Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
What's your reasoning for wanting a wider tire? More grip?

A different tread compound (sport/race oriented) would add significant grip even In a 215mm width...

·
Registered
842 Posts
Wouldn't a wider tire cause a serious loss of mileage? Why buy this particular car if you don't want the mileage benefits?

·
Registered
41 Posts
A wider tire will have more rolling resistance, which will also lead to increased gas mileage. Regardless, I still plan on going with an 18" or 19" rim and wider tires.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Resistance would not be because of the added width. The added weight would be the only resistance difference.

There would be such a small difference in this resistance, it could only be measured in a scientific environment.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
486 Posts
I'd say 225 is the widest you could go.
I saw a post where someone had done that, and it looked very good

·
Registered
41 Posts
Resistance would not be because of the added width. The added weight would be the only resistance difference.

There would be such a small difference in this resistance, it could only be measured in a scientific environment.

Rolling resistance would increase with wider tires because there is more contact with the road, therefore more friction. I'm sure it's not a significant amount, but worth noting nonetheless.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The width itself does not effect the rolling resistance. However, the deformation of the tire does. Being that the deformation would change SLIGHTLY, I would see how this does change. But like you said. Negligible.

·
Registered
486 Posts
lol out of 7 replies, no one is sure about the widest tire that can go on the stock wheel

stock wheel is 7" wide, and in general I'd so its safe to say you can slap a 225 wide tire on that.
any wider *might* be pushing it.

I've done a search on other forums, and it seems others have done 225/45/17 on a 17x7 wheel.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Rolling resistance would increase with wider tires because there is more contact with the road, therefore more friction. I'm sure it's not a significant amount, but worth noting nonetheless.
I agree, and a slight more bit of wind resistance. I bet the biggest difference would be the brand/model of tire, as different models of tires from different manufacturers have varying amount of rolling resistance.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Assuming you are sticking with a 17inch wheel, the next step is 245/40/17. This size will be the closest to match your speedo with only a .4% difference. The problem is a 245/40/17 tire requires a 17x8-9.5 wheel. If you want to stay within safety specs, the rim width range for a 225/45/17 tire is around 17x7-8.5, but your speedometer will be 1.4% too slow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts