Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering adding this "insurance" for the CT. Does anyone have any experience with these type of policies? Given the ongoing pothole situation in and around Boston I'm typically replacing 1 wheel and or tire per year. The CT will be my wife's and she has indicated that the potholes typically sneak up and attack her wheels and tires (former car was an A6 with 17" wheels and 45 series tires; same as CT). Although I did hit a pothole on the NJ pike last year which created a bubble in the sidewall and necessitated a tire replacement. Any insights would be greatly appreciated! Also, what is a "good" price for a 5 year policy?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Considering adding this "insurance" for the CT. Does anyone have any experience with these type of policies? Given the ongoing pothole situation in and around Boston I'm typically replacing 1 wheel and or tire per year. The CT will be my wife's and she has indicated that the potholes typically sneak up and attack her wheels and tires (former car was an A6 with 17" wheels and 45 series tires; same as CT). Although I did hit a pothole on the NJ pike last year which created a bubble in the sidewall and necessitated a tire replacement. Any insights would be greatly appreciated! Also, what is a "good" price for a 5 year policy?
I'll have to look to see what I paid, but at the price of wheels and tires I felt it made sense with the way the roads are anymore. With the tight budgets I'm afraid we are going to see a lot more pot holes. While I was at the dealer they had 2 RX's and a IS there with wheel and tire damage, one of them did not have the insurance and said he wished he had as it was costing him more then the insurance would have.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Bob259, thanks for the reply. Please check on the pricing; and also that it is a 5 year policy; does yours include curb rash coverage? Thanks.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hey Bob259, thanks for the reply. Please check on the pricing; and also that it is a 5 year policy; does yours include curb rash coverage? Thanks.
I'll look. It length was the same as the car warranty and included my FSport wheels when they get in as they were written in the purchase agreement.

·
Registered
283 Posts
$799 for 5 years

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got it, thanks. I've seen pricing ranging from a high of $995 to a low of $495; although I'm sure each policy differs slightly regarding replacement criteria.

Anyone else have any info/pricing from their dealers?

·
Registered
352 Posts
I remember living in Chicago years ago that the city was reponsible for fixing the potholes and if there were any damages to the car cause by the pothole and you can prove it, they paid for the damages. Maybe their policy has changed and different cities has different policies but might be worth looking into.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I remember living in Chicago years ago that the city was reponsible for fixing the potholes and if there were any damages to the car cause by the pothole and you can prove it, they paid for the damages. Maybe their policy has changed and different cities has different policies but might be worth looking into.
Policy changed here and they advertised it on the TV news saying it's the driver/owners responsibility now and that they are no longer liable for any damages. That includes mail boxed they take out when plowing... Don't you just love government

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Given the fiscal challenges faced by municipalities, it is unlikely that you'd be able to collect; unless your car falls into a sink hole!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Can anybody educate me; how can a wheel be damaged?
On my current car 185/70R14 wheels are 25-years old. I don't slow down at any pothole and drive through any speed bump without slowing (kids love it, the more bumps the better).

Is the height of a wheel to low eg. 45 vs. 70 so the driving through the pot hole the rim hits the pavement etc?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Exactly; the 45 series tire on the CT has a much lower profile i.e. sidewall to absorb the impact. This creates bubbles in the sidewalls and potential damage to the wheel. You may have to change your driving style over speed bumps should you acquire a CT! If not, make sure your kids have cinched down their seat belts!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Can anybody educate me; how can a wheel be damaged?
On my current car 185/70R14 wheels are 25-years old. I don't slow down at any pothole and drive through any speed bump without slowing (kids love it, the more bumps the better).

Is the height of a wheel to low eg. 45 vs. 70 so the driving through the pot hole the rim hits the pavement etc?
you pretty much summed it up yourself well. with a smaller aspect ratio, like 45 series, 40, 35, 30, you have less tire to protect the rim of the wheel when impacting huge potholes. your 'donutty' tires with thicker aspect ratios generally have a softer sidewall and therefore offer more 'springiness' and cushion to the impacts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So this is another reason to stay with 205/55R16 (in Canada).

195/70R14 would be even better (wouldn't have to change my driving habits) but I think the rim will be too small.

·
Registered
4 Posts
you pretty much summed it up yourself well. with a smaller aspect ratio, like 45 series, 40, 35, 30, you have less tire to protect the rim and tire package of the wheel when impacting huge potholes. your 'donutty' tires with thicker aspect ratios generally have a softer sidewall and therefore offer more 'springiness' and cushion to the impacts.
I'm paying extra monthly and got it 'cus the guy said it would cover wheel and tire damage.. replace no questions.. Anyways.. anyone else got it? I need to get my money's worth and run into some nails at the nearest construction site.. but not exactly sure how it works..

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Tire Hazard protection = none

You need to get if from the tire manufacturer.

Houston has terrible pot-holes and I always get road hazard replacement on tires. It costs $9.95 -$12.95 per tire; there is no year limit, just tread life.

$799 is way, way too much :mad:, unless they are replacing you tires and keeping them brand-new when you have a road hazard. Even then it is too much!

The CT OEM tires , at least in USA, are: 215/45R17 Michelin Primacy MXM4 (Grand Touring All-Season) The UTQG is 500 AA A which is excellent as long as you don't significantly over-inflate the tires; more than 10-15% The Service description is 87V

The treadlife warranty is 6 years/ 55,000 Miles ( for V-rated), The Uniformity Warranty is 1 year/first 2/32" of wear. The Workmanship and materials warranty is 6 years/ free replacement first year. 2/32" or 25% wear, then prorated until 2/32" remaining depth.
The Manufacturer's road hazard warranty is None

The tires cost $132 each, plus mounting, stems, old tires, etc. probably around $160 with road hazard added.

The best recommendation is to not pay the $799 and wait until you have to replace a tire due to road hazard. At that time purchase a new tire and add road hazard on the new tire!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I took advantage of the wheel and tire offer but mine also included replacement of damaged or lost remotes along with door dings. I thought it was a good deal.

·
Registered
170 Posts
You need to get if from the tire manufacturer.

Houston has terrible pot-holes and I always get road hazard replacement on tires. It costs $9.95 -$12.95 per tire; there is no year limit, just tread life.

$799 is way, way too much :mad:, unless they are replacing you tires and keeping them brand-new when you have a road hazard. Even then it is too much!

The CT OEM tires , at least in USA, are: 215/45R17 Michelin Primacy MXM4 (Grand Touring All-Season) The UTQG is 500 AA A which is excellent as long as you don't significantly over-inflate the tires; more than 10-15% The Service description is 87V

The treadlife warranty is 6 years/ 55,000 Miles ( for V-rated), The Uniformity Warranty is 1 year/first 2/32" of wear. The Workmanship and materials warranty is 6 years/ free replacement first year. 2/32" or 25% wear, then prorated until 2/32" remaining depth.
The Manufacturer's road hazard warranty is None

The tires cost $132 each, plus mounting, stems, old tires, etc. probably around $160 with road hazard added.

The best recommendation is to not pay the $799 and wait until you have to replace a tire due to road hazard. At that time purchase a new tire and add road hazard on the new tire!
I believe the $799 covers tires and rims.

Definitely worth it. I already replaced a 17" tire/rim combo on my CT200h after hitting a pothole. Cost me $1,127.XX CDN!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts